Author Topic: Ex-PJ detective Paulo Pereira Cristóvão guilty and sentenced to 4½ years.  (Read 29949 times)

Offline Brietta

Case Cardinal: Paulo Pereira Cristóvão sentenced to four and a half years

May 27, 2016 - 15:39

Pereira Cristóvão, who faces two more lawsuits, was also sentenced to pay compensation of 40,000 euros to the former football assistant referee Jose Cardinal.

The former vice president of Sporting president Paulo Pereira Cristóvão was sentenced Friday to four years and six months in prison, with suspended sentence and probation, under the "Case Cardinal". In the penalty will be discounted 15 months longer satisfied to prison.
Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, who faces two more lawsuits, was also sentenced to pay compensation of 40,000 euros for non-pecuniary damage, the former football assistant referee Jose Cardinal.
The also former Inspector of Judicial Police established a list of referees, assistants and observers with the tax identification number, bank identification number, income, ownership of movable and immovable property and identification of the spouse.

The former vice president of Sporting between March 2011 and June 2012 was also ordered to pay compensation of 500 euros for each of the 35 referees who constituted assistants in the process, which makes a total of 17,500 euros.
The court considered it proven two embezzlement crimes, an illegitimate access and a slanderous denunciation.
Sporting Clube de Portugal was acquitted of any involvement in an attempt to bribe the former referee.
The other defendant in the case, Victor Viegas, a close associate of Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, was acquitted of all crimes he was accused.
The judge in charge of the case ruled that the "evidence is unequivocal." The judge also found that the fault is particularly serious because Pereira Cristóvão was vice president of Sporting at the material time. Pereira Cristovao is also prevented from exercising the activity of sports official.
http://rr.sapo.pt/noticia/55225/caso_cardinal_paulo_pereira_cristovao_condenado_a_quatro_anos_e_meio?utm_source=sapo

Other threads of interest pertaining to Paulo Cristóvão

Ex-PJ detective and Madeleine book author arrested on a series of charges.

Former PJ inspector Paulo Pereira Cristovao arrested for armed robbery.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:44:35 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfie

Paulo needn't despair - all he need do is appeal and the verdict is bound to be reversed.

Offline Brietta

Paulo needn't despair - all he need do is appeal and the verdict is bound to be reversed.

The background to the case is pretty horrific so I think he got off very lightly indeed.

One can only await with interest to see how the Portuguese Justice System deals with the remaining charges he faces if he is found guilty of them also.
Wonder if they do a version of community service?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:17:44 PM by Angelo222 »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

Meanwhile, what has this thread got to do with Madeleine's disappearance ?

Oh I know, b....r all.

Offline Carana

The Portuguese legal system never ceases to intrigue me...

Offline Jean-Pierre

Meanwhile, what has this thread got to do with Madeleine's disappearance ?

Oh I know, b....r all.

Not much.  Apart from his bromance with Amaral. 

What's that old saying?  Ah yes, 'A man is known by the company he keeps'

Offline Alice Purjorick

Not much.  Apart from his bromance with Amaral. 

What's that old saying?  Ah yes, 'A man is known by the company he keeps'

One evening in October
When I was about one-third sober
And was taking home a load with manly pride
My poor feet began to stutter
So I lay down in the gutter
And a pig came up and lay down by my side

Then we sang "It's All Fair Weather"
And "Good Fellows Get Together"
Till a lady passing by was heard to say
She says, "You can tell a man who boozes
By the company he chooses"
And the pig got up and slowly walked away

Yes, the pig got up and slowly walked away
Slowly walked away, slowly walked away
Yes, the pig got up and he turned and winked at me
As he slowly walked away
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Angelo222

Former PJ police colleagues Paulo Pereira Cristovão (pictured left) and Gonçalo Amaral, who also authored a book on Madeleine's disappearance (right) pictured outside the Faro Court in 2008.

So Paulo Pereira Cristóvão doesn't have to serve another day in a prison cell, is that the crux of it?

I notice he has been on house arrest after being released from Évora prison fitted with an electronic tag bracelet.

Cristovão also worked on the case involving the disappearance of Joana Cipriano, who was eight when she went missing in 2004 from her mother’s home in Figueira, located between Portimão and Lagos in the Algarve.
He was later accused of being present as his colleagues allegedly extracted a confession from Joana’s mother by resorting to physical violence. Leonor Cipriano signed a confession, but retracted it a day later alleging she had been beaten by police officers. According to police, the bruising on her face was due to her having fallen down a flight of stairs at the police station during the interrogation.
Cristovão was later cleared by a Faro court of any wrong-doing, but resigned from PJ police shortly afterwards.
He also published a book on the disappearance of Joana, of whom there is still no trace.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:40:48 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

So Paulo Pereira Cristóvão doesn't have to serve a day in a prison cell, is that the crux of it?

the police are protected in a fascist state

stephen25000

the police are protected in a fascist state

Get a grip.

Offline Mr Gray

stephen25000

its been confirmed by SIL

Portugal is a democracy dave.

Not a fascist state.

Perhaps you need to keep up to date.

Offline Mr Gray

Portugal is a democracy dave.

Not a fascist state.

Perhaps you need to keep up to date.

portugal unfortunately needs to get up to date and leave its fascist past behind...it is still present

ferryman

portugal unfortunately needs to get up to date and leave its fascist past behind...it is still present

This (latest) ruling in the libel trial leaves me (tending) to agree ....

ferryman

Case Cardinal: Paulo Pereira Cristóvão sentenced to four and a half years

May 27, 2016 - 15:39

Pereira Cristóvão, who faces two more lawsuits, was also sentenced to pay compensation of 40,000 euros to the former football assistant referee Jose Cardinal.

The former vice president of Sporting president Paulo Pereira Cristóvão was sentenced Friday to four years and six months in prison, with suspended sentence and probation, under the "Case Cardinal". In the penalty will be discounted 15 months longer satisfied to prison.
Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, who faces two more lawsuits, was also sentenced to pay compensation of 40,000 euros for non-pecuniary damage, the former football assistant referee Jose Cardinal.
The also former Inspector of Judicial Police established a list of referees, assistants and observers with the tax identification number, bank identification number, income, ownership of movable and immovable property and identification of the spouse.

The former vice president of Sporting between March 2011 and June 2012 was also ordered to pay compensation of 500 euros for each of the 35 referees who constituted assistants in the process, which makes a total of 17,500 euros.
The court considered it proven two embezzlement crimes, an illegitimate access and a slanderous denunciation.
Sporting Clube de Portugal was acquitted of any involvement in an attempt to bribe the former referee.
The other defendant in the case, Victor Viegas, a close associate of Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, was acquitted of all crimes he was accused.
The judge in charge of the case ruled that the "evidence is unequivocal." The judge also found that the fault is particularly serious because Pereira Cristóvão was vice president of Sporting at the material time. Pereira Cristovao is also prevented from exercising the activity of sports official.
http://rr.sapo.pt/noticia/55225/caso_cardinal_paulo_pereira_cristovao_condenado_a_quatro_anos_e_meio?utm_source=sapo

Once described by a Portuguese poster in (Portuguese) idiom as: not a rose you sniff ...