Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 16579 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »
It seems likely that the proof of the pudding will be in the eating now. My concerns were always about the blatant attempts to ignore/overturn the result of a democratic vote and although I'm no Tory I applaud them for doing what the people voted for.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
It seems likely that the proof of the pudding will be in the eating now. My concerns were always about the blatant attempts to ignore/overturn the result of a democratic vote and although I'm no Tory I applaud them for doing what the people voted for.

Lol Back to the same argument: I'd agree if people had been fully aware of what exactly the implications were.

Way back, people were assured that the UK would definitely still have full access to the Single Market and customs union and that the whole thing could be settled over a cup of tea. The impression was that the UK would save lots of money and things wouldn't seem much different.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
The turkeys voted for Christmas and now we're all going to get a damned good stuffing.  Merry Christmas!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
A lot of people neither understood nor cared about the single market and the customs union imo. They understood freedom of movement because they saw the problems schools were facing with children who didn't speak English, they experienced situations where doctor's surgeries and hospital waiting rooms contained a high proportion of people who weren't speaking English. They knew that EU families were being paid tax credits even though only the man of the family was in the UK. They saw EU families being allocated social housing.

Those facts, in my opinion, influenced the vote because they affected people's lives in a way they could see, hear and feel. The other arguments may have been important, but how they related to everyday life wasn't clearly demonstrated. I think people voted on what they felt would improve their lives if the UK left the EU.

It doesn't really matter now, anyway, as the die is cast. If people suffer as a result of Brexit the blame lies with a man who promised a referendum for political reasons and misjudged the situation so badly he ended his own political career when the results of the vote came in. Other politicians then ended their political careers by appearing to ditch democracy completely.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
The turkeys voted for Christmas and now we're all going to get a damned good stuffing.  Merry Christmas!

We can spend Christmas celebrating the fact that democracy has survived in the UK. Merry Christmas!

Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
There is, of course an alternative view. Is the EU really such a great institution? Perhaps not;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9045299/MARK-ALMOND-EU-sick-man-Europe.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_desktop_news
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
We can spend Christmas celebrating the fact that democracy has survived in the UK. Merry Christmas!
A democratic vote to self-harm is nothing to get too merry about imo.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 05:36:53 PM »
The thing I don’t understand is why the UK government is even trying to negotiate a deal as Boris and his pals seem to think “No Deal” will be wonderful for Britain

“Unfortunately there are two key things where we just can’t seem to make progress,” he said. “I’ve got to tell you that from where I stand now it is looking very, very likely that we will have to go for a solution that I think would be wonderful for the UK, and we’d be able to do exactly what we want from January.”

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »

No one is going to be complaining about Brexit once the NHS starts getting an extra 250 million a week.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »

No one is going to be complaining about Brexit once the NHS starts getting an extra 250 million a week.
An extra 250 million what?  Asylum seekers needing free healthcare?

Offline Carana

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
The thing I don’t understand is why the UK government is even trying to negotiate a deal as Boris and his pals seem to think “No Deal” will be wonderful for Britain

“Unfortunately there are two key things where we just can’t seem to make progress,” he said. “I’ve got to tell you that from where I stand now it is looking very, very likely that we will have to go for a solution that I think would be wonderful for the UK, and we’d be able to do exactly what we want from January.”

No one wants to blink first. And BoJo is a ra-ra* politician.

*The first time I heard that term came from a South African and I had to ask what it meant. It means a politician who can get the crowds to roar in favour, whatever the situation. A bit like Trump. Or a few others in history.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
No one wants to blink first. And BoJo is a ra-ra* politician.

*The first time I heard that term came from a South African and I had to ask what it meant. It means a politician who can get the crowds to roar in favour, whatever the situation. A bit like Trump. Or a few others in history.
That’s one way of putting it.  I can think of more earthy descriptions to describe his modu operandi.

Offline Carana

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
A lot of people neither understood nor cared about the single market and the customs union imo. They understood freedom of movement because they saw the problems schools were facing with children who didn't speak English, they experienced situations where doctor's surgeries and hospital waiting rooms contained a high proportion of people who weren't speaking English. They knew that EU families were being paid tax credits even though only the man of the family was in the UK. They saw EU families being allocated social housing.

Those facts, in my opinion, influenced the vote because they affected people's lives in a way they could see, hear and feel. The other arguments may have been important, but how they related to everyday life wasn't clearly demonstrated. I think people voted on what they felt would improve their lives if the UK left the EU.

It doesn't really matter now, anyway, as the die is cast. If people suffer as a result of Brexit the blame lies with a man who promised a referendum for political reasons and misjudged the situation so badly he ended his own political career when the results of the vote came in. Other politicians then ended their political careers by appearing to ditch democracy completely.

I tend to agree with you on that. Sadly, I doubt that anyone really pointed out to them that the bread-winner could well be out of a job or small business.

Offline Carana

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
That’s one way of putting it.  I can think of more earthy descriptions to describe his modu operandi.

I've never been convinced he's been the one in charge, more of a front-man, IMO.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
I've never been convinced he's been the one in charge, more of a front-man, IMO.
A front man for who?  I think he’s just an opportunist who would sell his granny for the top job.  Now he’s PM I hope he’s really enjoying it, I’m sure thr last year have been a right blast.