Poll

If Offered A Covid Vaccine Today Would You Accept?

Yes
9 (60%)
No
4 (26.7%)
Don't Know
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Fast-tracking a vaccine  (Read 16564 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Fast-tracking a vaccine
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
CPAP machines, are used for sleep apnoea..at  home...

they are mentioned here 6th april...nearly 3 weeks ago
6 April 2020
We are about a week away from the estimated peak of the epidemic. Our mainstay of treatment is to simply keep patients breathing, and two issues are preoccupying us - ventilators and oxygen.

It's become clear that the UK is pretty low down the international ventilator league table. Although we put in hasty orders for more, there appears to be a bit of a run on them, and we're worried that our order won't arrive in time to meet the Covid-19 peak.

However, there is growing evidence that a simple machine used by patients with sleep apnoea (snoring and interrupted breathing) in their own bedrooms can be an effective alternative. And Dr Tom Lawton, one of our ingenious intensive care consultants, has managed to get his hands on 100 of them from a local manufacturer.

Ok, sorry, I haven't been on here much recently so missed it.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »
With the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine now approved for use in UK how do others feel about getting vaccinated when the roll out starts?

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 06:13:07 AM »
With the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine now approved for use in UK how do others feel about getting vaccinated when the roll out starts?
Having fallen off the wagon months ago, do you not feel hungover enough already?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9010145/Volunteers-given-Pfizers-Covid-vaccine-reveal-effects-felt-like-severe-hangover.html
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:54 AM »
Having fallen off the wagon months ago, do you not feel hungover enough already?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9010145/Volunteers-given-Pfizers-Covid-vaccine-reveal-effects-felt-like-severe-hangover.html

More reasons not to have it! 

Interestingly on breakfast tv this morning one of the scientists said it is not being recommended for pregnant women as they dont have enough data to confirm its safe use.  And yet we're told enough data exists to support its safe use with the rest of the population? 

Why should we believe experts and officialdom when they've called it so wrong over recent years over other matters eg financial crisis of 2008 and so-called weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »
The type of vaccine engineered by Pfizer/BioNTech, MRNA, is the first of its type to be given approval for use. 

I wonder if the royal physicians will give the green light for its use on the Queen!

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
From Gavin Williamson:

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has claimed the UK was the first country in the world to clinically approve a coronavirus vaccine because the country has “much better” scientists than France, Belgium or the US.

Williamson said he was not surprised the UK was the first to roll out the immunisation because “we’re a much better country than every single one of them”.

Asked whether Brexit was to credit for the world-first, Williamson told LBC radio station on Thursday: “Well I just reckon we’ve got the very best people in this country and we’ve obviously got the best medical regulators.

GW perhaps needs reminding of the Thalidomide scandal:

In 1960, Kelsey was hired by the FDA in Washington, D.C. At that time, she "was one of only seven full-time and four young part-time physicians reviewing drugs"[4] for the FDA. One of her first assignments at the FDA was to review an application by Richardson-Merrell for the drug thalidomide (under the tradename Kevadon) as a tranquilizer and painkiller with specific indications to prescribe the drug to pregnant women for morning sickness. Even though it had already been approved in Canada and more than 20 European and African countries,[8] she withheld approval for the drug and requested further studies.[3] Despite pressure from thalidomide's manufacturer, Kelsey persisted in requesting additional information to explain an English study that documented peripheral neuritis,[9] a nervous system side effect.[4] She also requested data showing the drug was not harmful to the fetus.[9]

Kelsey's insistence that the drug should be fully tested prior to approval was vindicated when the births of deformed infants in Europe were linked to thalidomide ingestion by their mothers during pregnancy.[10] Researchers discovered that the thalidomide crossed the placental barrier and caused serious birth defects.[7] She was hailed on the front page of The Washington Post as a heroine[11] for averting a similar tragedy in the U.S.[12] Morton Mintz, author of The Washington Post article, said "[Kelsey] prevented… the birth of hundreds or indeed thousands of armless and legless children."[11] Kelsey insisted that her assistants, Oyam Jiro and Lee Geismar, as well as her FDA superiors who backed her strong stance, deserved credit as well. The narrative of Kelsey's persistence, however, was used to help pass rigorous drug approval regulation in 1962.[1]

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 01:44:55 PM »
Passengers on the Titanic were told it was unsinkable!  Asbestos was thought to be a safe building material at one time. Cladding on high rise buildings no doubt met building safety regs!  Grenfell residents were told to stay inside by fire experts.  I could go on and on...Anyone who takes experts and officialdom at face value is mad or deluded imo. 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »
Passengers on the Titanic were told it was unsinkable!  Asbestos was thought to be a safe building material at one time. Cladding on high rise buildings no doubt met building safety regs!  Grenfell residents were told to stay inside by fire experts.  I could go on and on...Anyone who takes experts and officialdom at face value is mad or deluded imo.

Is your advice that no one should have the vaccine and just continue the lifestyle we have all endured for months?
As soon as the vaccine is offered to us, I think we are in the fourth section of the population to be vaccinated, we will be there.
Does that make us mad or deluded?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:50:53 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »

Is your advice that no one should have the vaccine and just continue the lifestyle we have all endured for months?
As soon as the vaccine is offered to us, I think we are in the fourth section of the population to be vaccinated, we will be there.
Does that make us mad or deluded?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9013629/Were-better-country-Gavin-Williamson-wades-Brexit-vaccine-row-blast-EU.html

Offline Erngath

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
You have not answered my question.

Its a matter of personal choice. 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 09:12:36 PM »
Its a matter of personal choice.

So those  who choose not to be vaccinated are relying on those who do to control  the spread  of the virus?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:23:03 PM by Erngath »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »
So those  who choose not to be vaccinated are relying on those who do to control  the spread  of the virus?

It is not yet known whether the vaccine stops the spread of the virus. 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2020, 10:17:06 PM »
It is not yet known whether the vaccine stops the spread of the virus.

If everyone is vaccinated how will it continue to spread?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 10:50:28 PM »
If everyone is vaccinated how will it continue to spread?

That wasn't what you asked or what I responded to.

How long do you think its going to take to vaccinate some 7 billion people on planet earth even if it was readily available and everyone took it up? 

Scientists don't yet know whether the vaccination stops the spread or just stops people becoming ill.  And they don't know how long immunity lasts.