Poll

If Offered A Covid Vaccine Today Would You Accept?

Yes
9 (60%)
No
4 (26.7%)
Don't Know
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Fast-tracking a vaccine  (Read 16551 times)

Offline Erngath

Re: Fast-tracking a vaccine
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2020, 11:07:31 PM »
That wasn't what you asked or what I responded to.

How long do you think its going to take to vaccinate some 7 billion people on planet earth even if it was readily available and everyone took it up? 

Scientists don't yet know whether the vaccination stops the spread or just stops people becoming ill.  And they don't know how long immunity lasts.

If it " just stops people becoming ill" and dying then that is a good enough reason for its development and use.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
If it " just stops people becoming ill" and dying then that is a good enough reason for its development and use.

No one knows the med - long-term effects of the vaccination or how long immunity lasts and whether those vaccinated are still capable of being spreaders. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
We might even suffer from horrendous skin eruptions of creatures such as bats or pangolins as Jenner discovered after injecting his human guinea pigs with cowpox...
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
No one knows the med - long-term effects of the vaccination or how long immunity lasts and whether those vaccinated are still capable of being spreaders.

The same concerns must have been attached  to the polio vaccine but thankfully my parents and generations of parents have taken advantage of that vaccine and polio is now eliminated in most countries.

ETA
The medium and long term effects of the virus are now becoming very apparent.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:00:50 AM by Erngath »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »
We might even suffer from horrendous skin eruptions of creatures such as bats or pangolins as Jenner discovered after injecting his human guinea pigs with cowpox...

Another vaccine which I received as a baby and again smallpox is no longer a concern in this country nor should it be anywhere.
The vaccine hasn't been administered to babies or children for many years in the UK......not sure about elsewhere.

Offline barrier

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
Another vaccine which I received as a baby and again smallpox is no longer a concern in this country nor should it be anywhere.
The vaccine hasn't been administered to babies or children for many years in the UK......not sure about elsewhere.

It was eradicated, but took 200 odd yrs after the vaccination was introduced.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »
The same concerns must have been attached  to the polio vaccine but thankfully my parents and generations of parents have taken advantage of that vaccine and polio is now eliminated in most countries.

ETA

The covid vaccines are based on new technologies.  The medium and long-term effects of the vaccine might present greater risks to health than the virus itself. 

With regard to medi regulators approving the vaccine, I am reminded of financial regulators approving complex financial instruments which they failed to understand hence the financial crisis of 2008. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

ETA

See Cutter incident:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

Offline Erngath

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
It was eradicated, but took 200 odd yrs after the vaccination was introduced.

But times have moved on.
Polio has been eradicated in much less time.
It was a killer and an appalling disease in my childhood.....thankfully gone.
I admire so much my parents who had no hesitation in taking their three small children to be vaccinated with the new vaccine.......the alternative would have been what?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »

But times have moved on.
Polio has been eradicated in much less time.
It was a killer and an appalling disease in my childhood.....thankfully gone.
I admire so much my parents who had no hesitation in taking their three small children to be vaccinated with the new vaccine.......the alternative would have been what?

Polio hasn't been eradicated:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polio/

The polio vaccine turned out ok for you and me but not so for those who fell victim to the 'Cutter' scandal.

Times have moved on in terms of polio but covid is new hence it is referred to as 'novel' and the proposed vaccines use new technologies. 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »
Polio hasn't been eradicated:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polio/

The polio vaccine turned out ok for you and me but not so for those who fell victim to the 'Cutter' scandal.

Times have moved on in terms of polio but covid is new hence it is referred to as 'novel' and the proposed vaccines use new technologies.

Every new vaccine from smallpox..diphtheria.. measles..whooping cough..polio....mumps.... flu ... the new cervical cancer one will have possible side effects and no doubt folk at each introduction of a new vaccine had concerns but where we would be without them?
If faced with a choice to vaccinate my child against any of these  or leave them unvaccinated then my choice is to vaccinate as it will be for myself with the Covid vaccine.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
Every new vaccine from smallpox..diphtheria.. measles..whooping cough..polio....mumps.... flu ... the new cervical cancer one will have possible side effects and no doubt folk at each introduction of a new vaccine had concerns but where we would be without them?
If faced with a choice to vaccinate my child against any of these  or leave them unvaccinated then my choice is to vaccinate as it will be for myself with the Covid vaccine.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer; I'm questioning the speed in which the covid vaccine is being rolled out.  A vaccine usually takes 10 - 15 years to roll out with covid it's < l year  &%%6

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

Any ideas why the UK gov has granted immunity to Pfizer?

The UK government has granted pharmaceutical giant Pfizer a legal indemnity protecting it from being sued, enabling its coronavirus vaccine to be rolled out across the country as early as next week.

The Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed the company has been given an indemnity protecting it from legal action as a result of any problems with the vaccine.

Ministers have also changed the law in recent weeks to give new protections to companies such as Pfizer, giving them immunity from being sued by patients in the event of any complications.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-legal-indemnity-safety-ministers-b1765124.html

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »
I will take my chance with the vaccine as soon as I am offered one.  I accept there is probably some risk of long term side effects, but I'm nearly 67, so not too worried. If I were in my 20s, I might think differently.

Mr Wah feels the same as me.  He's 73, and, although he is in good physical health, he believes he will surely die if he gets Covid.  Oh dear!!

Offline barrier

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »
I will take my chance with the vaccine as soon as I am offered one.  I accept there is probably some risk of long term side effects, but I'm nearly 67, so not too worried. If I were in my 20s, I might think differently.

Mr Wah feels the same as me.  He's 73, and, although he is in good physical health, he believes he will surely die if he gets Covid.  Oh dear!!

He'll surely die if he doesn't. I'm in my 60's, unsure at the moment.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.