Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1362225 times)

Offline VIXTE

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2640 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
I did not become interested in the Madeleine case until half way through last year, but were there always regular updates from the time SY began their review? Is this an unusually quiet spell?

There were long times without any news in 2008-20012.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2641 on: March 01, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
There were long times without any news in 2008-20012.

But there was no formal British investigation during this period..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2642 on: March 01, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
Yes and no.

The McCanns don't like to be out of the spotlight long, hence Amaral's libel trial, Gerry and Kate both staged photo ops on the court steps, Gerry looking determined and heroic, Kate wan and tragic and righteous. Amaral just looked like Amaral.

The sudden postponement of the libel trial, coupled with the new efit, the hints of arrests, the CPS involvement - apart from criticising the investigation (again) they have been unusually silent and avoiding the spotlight.

My guess?  Their world is currently in the process of falling apart.

SY have informed them of the way the investigation is going, and to quote Amaral, "it is understood things are not going well for the McCanns".

[ .... speculative comment removed ... ]

I was talking about formal updates from SY regarding their progress in the investigation..

Jumping the gun a bit here, SW!

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2643 on: March 01, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »

I was talking about formal updates from SY regarding their progress in the investigation..

Jumping the gun a bit here, SW!

Once the Portuguese side reopened the investigation this means the secrecy law has to be applied.. and the SY likes to have a good relations with the PJ.
The second thing is Redwood asking for the media restrain ( I think I've seen it somewhere) meaning that Madeleine's life might be in danger if more info is published..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2644 on: March 01, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
Once the Portuguese side reopened the investigation this means the secrecy law has to be applied.. and the SY likes to have a good relations with the PJ.
The second thing is Redwood asking for the media restrain ( I think I've seen it somewhere) meaning that Madeleine's life might be in danger if more info is published..

So in other words there is nothing suspicious whatsoever about the lack of updates.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2645 on: March 01, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
So in other words there is nothing suspicious whatsoever about the lack of updates.

IMO the update comes only if they need info from the public.. It seems they no longer need any info from the public..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2646 on: March 01, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
IMO the update comes only if they need info from the public.. It seems they no longer need any info from the public..

Makes sense.

The media are frustrated by the lack of any real information coming out and are making things up to fill in the gaps.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2647 on: March 01, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »

I don't feel we should have updates at all.
SY should only make an announcement when they have made arrests, or when they have given up.

I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2648 on: March 01, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
Scotland Yard asked for media restraint in the coming weeks and months as it began what is being seen as the last chance to learn what happened to Madeleine. Officers believe there is a chance she is still alive.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/jul/04/madeleine-mccann-police-target-38-suspects

Offline a.baker

« Reply #2649 on: March 02, 2014, 01:42:44 AM »
So,the Portuguese and SY are on the same wavelength after all? The burglars that SY are interested in and whom are said to have been carrying out burglaries in the weeks prior to Madeleines disappearance are known associates of tractorman,whom, it is said that his mobile phone records placed him at the scene that night.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2650 on: March 02, 2014, 01:51:44 AM »
So,the Portuguese and SY are on the same wavelength after all? The burglars that SY are interested in and whom are said to have been carrying out burglaries in the weeks prior to Madeleines disappearance are known associates of tractorman,whom, it is said that his mobile phone records placed him at the scene that night.

Apparently, the team in Porto are / were focusing on tractorman, and this, so we are told, correlates with some of the work the other teams are doing.

Nothing confirmed, however.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2651 on: March 02, 2014, 01:55:28 AM »

It is all a media speculation. None of the forces ever said anything about their suspects.

It was said in PT media that the tractorman is the PJ suspect and the reason the case was reopened in PT.
It was said in UK media that SY has a different lead to PJ and this was confirmed by the SY boss that their leads were different.
He also confirmed SY had the names of their suspects..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2652 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:22 AM »
It is all a media speculation. None of the forces ever said anything about their suspects.

It was said in PT media that the tractorman is the PJ suspect and the reason the case was reopened in PT.
It was said in UK media that SY has a different lead to PJ and this was confirmed by the SY boss that their leads were different.
He also confirmed SY had the names of their suspects..

I think it is official that the team under Helena Monteiro in Porto are or at least were working on tractorman, though.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2653 on: March 02, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »
Correio da Manhã - Lisbon
25 February 2014

Maddie: Secret dossier was handed to the British Police.

Scotland Yard says it has recently received the Portuguese authorities a folder with several cases of burglary in the Algarve, committed just before the disappearance of Maddie McCann on 3 May 2007 in Praia da Luz According to the British press, There are reports of abuse to children and even an attempted abduction of a baby from one year to a British tourist, in Montechoro, Albufeira.  Factors which may provide important clues to the team investigating this case.

Redwood and colleagues call with their counterparts in Faro, Portugal.

www.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmjornal.xl.pt%2Fdetalhe%2Fnoticias%2Fultima-hora%2Fmaddie-dossie-secreto-foi-entregue-a-policia-inglesa

It looks like these files were only secret to the public, but not to the McCanns.. They are mentioned in Kate's book:
One of the most concerning and upsetting piece of information to emerge quite early ( when they started reading the files) was the record of sexual crimes against the children in  the Algarve. This discovery made me feel phisically sick. I read about five cases of British children on holiday being sexually abused in their beds while their parents slept another room. In three further incidents, children encountered an intruder in their bedrooms, who was presumably disturbed before he had the chance to carry out assault. I guess these were the reports that Bill Henderson, the British consul at the time of Madeleine's abduction, had told me about.
These incidents had occurred within an hour drive of PDL and over the three years prior to Madeleine's disappearance. The PJ never mentioned any of them to us. In fact, I gather from the files, some of them hadn't even been recorded by the authorities at the time they were reported..

So, according to Kate, these are in the files.. but I guess not released to the public..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:39:10 AM by John »

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2654 on: March 02, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
I think it is official that the team under Helena Monteiro in Porto are or at least were working on tractorman, though.

Kind of. But not officially stated.