Author Topic: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?  (Read 111063 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
Jezus H Christ, there should be a law against posting links like that!
Yes, that's typical CS.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:26 PM »
I knew it was wrong, but couldn't for the life of me see where I'd gone wrong!

Thank you for that, the amount of people missing in Portugal per capita is a fraction of those missing in the uk?

I don't suppose someone could get the figures for people reported missing in 2011/2012 in Portugal, so we can compare it against the figures for UK. Taking in to account population of course.

I won't do the maths this time though  8()-000(
2 years is too small a period of time. 10 years minimum.
Strictly speaking abducted kids should be separated from missing and within abducted the bed ones and public space ones. The age should be taken into account, as well as the number of national vs foreigners.
I wish I were a statistician.
If you select the 2003/2013 ten years, 3 girls disappeared in Portugal, a Guinean one (6), a Portuguese toddler (2) and the British Madeleine (3/4).
The first little girl (very cute child) was born in Guinea Bissau and adopted there. The Guinean adoptive parents took her to Portugal. About one year later she disappeared. The parents said someone took her in charge and went with her to Spain where she died in a car accident.
The second little girl was abducted by her father, a fisherman from the Açores, divorced, around 9pm. He took a taxi, then got a lift from someone who left him somewhere with the baby. Later he went to the police where he found his ex-wife reporting the abduction. He was alone.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:44:02 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »
You have heard of Casa Pia

Casa Pia didn't only happen in Portugal.
It happened in many countries.
The handling of it in Portugal is what was the problem. Denying it. Brushing under the carpet. That is the problem.

For example, and I read this maybe 4-5 years ago on SIC Portugal TV  - all of the names involved in Casa Pia will not be legally published to public for 25 years.

I am not sure now if this changed but back then that was the case.. the judge has decided to keep the file secret for 25 years! And that is what is wrong! Why not publish it? Why not?

Seems the same psychology is with these 'attacks on children files' - there is a feeling of a big denial.. 'No, it is not happening' kind of thing.. Yes, it is happening and it is happening everywhere and it needs to be stopped!

Redblossom

« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »
The handling of it in Portugal is what was the problem. Denying it. Brushing under the carpet. That is the problem.

For example, and I read this maybe 4-5 years ago on SIC Portugal TV  - all of the names involved in Casa Pia will not be legally published to public for 25 years.

I am not sure now if this changed but back then that was the case.. the judge has decided to keep the file secret for 25 years! And that is what is wrong! Why not publish it? Why not?

Seems the same psychology is with these 'attacks on children files' - there is a feeling of a big denial.. 'No, it is not happening' kind of thing.. Yes, it is happening and it is happening everywhere and it needs to be stopped!

Oh so Portugals handling it was different to the equivalent in the UK? get a grip!

Jersey
Wales care home
others
Saville
Etc etc
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:53:50 PM by Redblossom »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
Mrs McCann likely invented the 8 paedophiles found in the 8 beds to denigrate a police she hates, because she could hardly suppose or make people suppose that this kind of sexual assault had occurred to her daughter considering the state of Madeleine's bed.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
Mrs McCann likely invented the 8 paedophiles found in the 8 beds to denigrate a police she hates, because she could hardly suppose or make people suppose that this kind of sexual assault had occurred to her daughter considering the state of Madeleine's bed.

She never invented it. She is quoting the files and quoting the British consul in PT who gave her the same info. ( possibly because the attacks on children were reported to British consulate in PT)

The files were EDITED.

Oh, I now wish I was an investigative journalist and I get a hold of these files. I would publish them straight away. And I now really hope someone will publish them..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:00:36 PM by VIXTE »

icabodcrane

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »

Did you know that files from Lord Cullen's enquiry into Dunblane have been sealed  ...  and that they will not be released  for a hundred years  ? 

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
Did you know that files from Lord Cullen's enquiry into Dunblane have been sealed  ...  and that they will not be released  for a hundred years  ?

No, this was changed. Only the personal details of dead children ( photos) will not be published..due to distress it can cause..

This is nothing about the people in power being protected..

And I am not saying the the UK is perfect. Today I witnessed a policeman arresting a boy who was I think around 10 and the policeman was really rough and overpowered, he jumped on the boy, lied on the top of him with his whole (huge) weight and handcuffed the boy and then he was parading the boy in handcuffs on the street, when the boy asked what his rights were the policeman just kept quiet, he was in plain clothes and he never showed his badge.. etc etc,, it made me soooooo upset.. I am still shaking.. and I've seen it all with my own eyes..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:15:03 PM by VIXTE »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2014, 11:14:39 PM »
The PJ Files are the property of the MP. They can't be published and their content can't be reproduced.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2014, 11:20:44 PM »
The PJ Files are the property of the MP. They can't be published and their content can't be reproduced.

well, if the express, for example, publishes them what can they do? nothing!

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »
Oh so Portugals handling it was different to the equivalent in the UK? get a grip!

Jersey
Wales care home
others
Saville
Etc etc

Also a RC school and seminary in the north of Scotland has been exposed recently as being a hotbed of all kinds of abuse.

Cover ups of all kinds for years.

It is hardly saying anything bad about Portugal in particular to note that there have been abductions or crimes of the above kind, or that there have sometimes been cover ups. These things seem to be endemic everywhere as we have all noted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:59:45 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Lyall

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
well, if the express, for example, publishes them what can they do? nothing!

If they published such a story having made it up you'd believe it. Be honest. You want finger-pointing not accuracy.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

I still don't understand the insistence on the bed being part of the statistic, Anne.

Do you also suggest that  statistics  be provided on the abduction of children who carried around toy cats in order to allow for the possibility of abduction in this case?

Or of children with coloboma of the iris? Or children  of medical doctors?

icabodcrane

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »
Also a RC school and seminary in the north of Scotland has been exposed recently as being a hotbed of all kinds of abuse.

Cover ups of all kinds for years.

It is hardly saying anything bad about Portugal in particular to note that there have been abductions or crimes of the above kind, or that there have sometimes been cover ups. These things seem to be endemic everywhere as we have all noted.

And, of course,  the appalling Kincora Boys' home in Belfast  ...  now  there  was a cover-up 

icabodcrane

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:54 AM »
I still don't understand the insistence on the bed being part of the statistic, Anne.

Do you also suggest that  statistics  be provided on the abduction of children who carried around toy cats in order to allow for the possibility of abduction in this case?

Or of children with coloboma of the iris? Or children  of medical doctors?

Why do you draw silly analogies in order to dismiss Anne's perfectly logical and reasonable question  ? 

Of  course  the circumstances in which children are snatched is important,  and statistics will necessarily reflect that important distinction

How many children  have been abducted  from their bed  ?   

If the number is statistically low  ...  and I would guess it is  infintesimally low  ...  then that is a significant finding to consider