Author Topic: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?  (Read 110871 times)

Offline Angelo222

Re: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
I always thought it was....... ''When God made man, she was only joking'' ..........

Chicken and egg!  8(0(*
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
LOL, Angelo!

Back to topic, checking into previous assertions on this thread concerning what I suspected to be unusually low rates of missing kids in Portugal don't seem to be correct as there are apparently 150-200 cases reported every year - and there are certainly not updates on the PJ web site to reflect those numbers.

Correction:

· Around 150-200 cases of missing children per every 100,000 children are reported annually in Slovakia, Lithuania and Portugal;
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:04:04 AM by Carana »

ferryman

« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
LOL, Angelo!

Back to topic, checking into previous assertions on this thread concerning what I suspected to be unusually low rates of missing kids in Portugal don't seem to be correct as there are apparently 150-200 cases reported every year - and there are certainly not updates on the PJ web site to reflect those numbers.

Which, as a number per head of its population, would probably not be all that different from Britain.

Offline Carana

« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Which, as a number per head of its population, would probably not be all that different from Britain.

It's worth reading the European report that I'd posted earlier. To me, it's chalk, cheese, apples, oranges and bananas.

Offline Carana

« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »

Yes, I'd corrected a previous reply to Angelo, as it's not a case of 150-200 cases per year, but

· Around 150-200 cases of missing children per every 100,000 children are reported annually in Slovakia, Lithuania and Portugal;

That's an awful lot more than the 1/2 dozen children/adolescents or so on the PJ site.

Many may have been found (as is often the case elsewhere), but comparing statistics of police records of "missing children" from one country to another without common criteria seems pointless.

Offline sadie

« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/13120#.Uya9J4VKp1N
Interesting article Estu but not really to do with this thread .  Maybe a new thread?

But this is what interests me

That's an awful lot more than the 1/2 dozen children/adolescents or so on the PJ site.

Many may have been found (as is often the case elsewhere), but comparing statistics of police records of "missing children" from one country to another without common criteria seems pointless.

And an awful lot more than Annes original number !!!

Estuarine

« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
Interesting article Estu but not really to do with this thread .  Maybe a new thread?

But this is what interests me

And an awful lot more than Annes original number !!!

The point of my post is just how easy it is to start a hare running and how difficult it is to stop it even when proven it was the wrong bunny.

Offline Carana

« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
The point of my post is just how easy it is to start a hare running and how difficult it is to stop it even when proven it was the wrong bunny.

I have no problem with that. 150-200 missing minors / 100k population per year is far from insignificant. Many may have been found, and others may be assumed dead, some of whom may be assumed so with little or any evidence.

Offline jassi

« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »
I have no problem with that. 150-200 missing minors / 100k population per year is far from insignificant. Many may have been found, and others may be assumed dead, some of whom may be assumed so with little or any evidence.

0.2% ?

What is the comparable figure for Uk or USA ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Luz

« Reply #280 on: March 17, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
Your statistics must come from another Galaxy.

In Europe, Portugal is the country with less missing children. You'd better take a look at home.

Offline Luz

« Reply #281 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
There is without doubt a history of child disappearances on the Algarve going back many years.  I have purposely not used the abduction label since abduction has not been proven in several of the cases such as René Hasée (6), Joana Cipriano (8) and Madeleine McCann (almost 4).   There is also an alarming number of reports of British children, mainly girls, being targeted.

Some people choose to disregard these reports referring to them as Maddie hype, bogus, fantasy and the such like.  Whatever ones views are, there is without doubt something sinister going on which the Portuguese authorities appear unable or unwilling to stop.

Please discuss.

You better get your sources cleared out. Apart from those 3 kids, there are none other missing in almost 2 decades.

Offline Carana

« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »

You better get your sources cleared out. Apart from those 3 kids, there are none other missing in almost 2 decades.

Don't blame John for that, not his fault.

It was my fault for quoting the European Commission's findings. Perhaps this shouldn't have been allowed...

European Commission – Directorate-General for Justice
Missing children in the European Union Mapping, data collection and statistics
(2013)

http://resourcecentre.savethechildren.se/sites/default/files/documents/1709_missing_children_study_2013_en_original_1.pdf
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:21:29 PM by Carana »

Offline Luz

« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Sorry John.

And you should learn to read those reports.

There is no evidence that there were any cases in Algarve. Even the cases about missing children (undefined) reported about Portugal need to be crossed with the data about children recovered. Most of them were runaway teenagers and parental abductions, resolved by now.

I'm very understanding about ignorance, but I'm very fierce about malice.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:27:59 PM by Luz »

Offline Carana

« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
Your statistics must come from another Galaxy.

In Europe, Portugal is the country with less missing children. You'd better take a look at home.

The European Commission seems to be fair enough to me.