Author Topic: The filming of the dogs in Luz August 2007  (Read 3071 times)

Offline misty

The filming of the dogs in Luz August 2007
« on: January 03, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
I was recently advised (on Twitter) that DI Alan Orchard of Leics Police had filmed the dogs' searches in Luz alongside the PJ photographer & Mark Harrison. A SS is attached below, showing a man I originally thought was Harrison in the parents' bedroom (far right on image), but on closer examination I'm not so sure it was. This seems to fly in the face of Harrison's report submitted after the conclusion of the dogs' deployments.
https://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm#mh2836
*snipped*
The search process was then initiated and continued over the following eight days. Throughout and at all locations I acted as an observer and search adviser. The PJ appointed a Chief Inspector as a search manager who was present throughout. Additionally, separate PJ officers were appointed to record and map each search location and provide a contemporaneous video commentary of all search activity undertaken. This system of management and recording was based on my reports recommendation to ensure record accuracy, transparency and facilitate any future clarification of any search activity undertaken. It was also essential that the official management and recording of the search was conducted by the Portuguese Police themselves rather than by British officers without any powers and not conversant with Portuguese law and judicial processes.
We have seen on video Harrison himself using a camera phone during the searches.

Thoughts, anyone?

Offline G-Unit

Re: The filming of the dogs in Luz August 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 01:50:11 PM »
The Portuguese were in charge of officially recording the proceedings for the official investigation. LP could have recorded them also, but their recording would have been unofficial, just for their own records.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »
It does tend to support the idea of Harrison and Grime developing their idea of using alerts as intelligence.

Recorded for posterity. I wonder if Harrison has binned it now.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 03:55:44 PM »
I was recently advised (on Twitter) that DI Alan Orchard of Leics Police had filmed the dogs' searches in Luz alongside the PJ photographer & Mark Harrison. A SS is attached below, showing a man I originally thought was Harrison in the parents' bedroom (far right on image), but on closer examination I'm not so sure it was. This seems to fly in the face of Harrison's report submitted after the conclusion of the dogs' deployments.
*snipped*
The search process was then initiated and continued over the following eight days. Throughout and at all locations I acted as an observer and search adviser. The PJ appointed a Chief Inspector as a search manager who was present throughout. Additionally, separate PJ officers were appointed to record and map each search location and provide a contemporaneous video commentary of all search activity undertaken. This system of management and recording was based on my reports recommendation to ensure record accuracy, transparency and facilitate any future clarification of any search activity undertaken. It was also essential that the official management and recording of the search was conducted by the Portuguese Police themselves rather than by British officers without any powers and not conversant with Portuguese law and judicial processes.
We have seen on video Harrison himself using a camera phone during the searches.

Thoughts, anyone?

It certainly goes some way to answering my question of where the time and date stamp as noted in the PJ files is.

My criticism of what is described here is that if there are three individuals filming at any given time there is a bit of overkill in progress.
  • the shots will be taken from three different viewpoints
  • filming was in the cramped interior confines of the apartments and the rental villa making it more awkward for three cameras following the action to record at the same time
  • there was apparently no long shot showing the official PJ camera and operator in action
It goes nowhere towards providing an explanation as to why Levy's copyright appears on police videos.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 06:45:33 PM »
I can't see Orchard's name on the list of people present at any of the residential searches. Neither can I find details of any DNA sample having been taken from him for cross-checking against samples lifted following the searches.

Offline jassi

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 07:25:47 PM »
Would you conclude from that that maybe he wasn't there ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline misty

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 07:53:13 PM »
Would you conclude from that that maybe he wasn't there ?

Using the facts in the files, I would indeed argue that Orchard wasn't there. However, I can see no reason why someone (seemingly close to Grime) would make such an odd allegation if it wasn't true.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 08:29:55 PM »

Does anyone know if Levy was there?  Or did he just collect The Videos and then Edit them to suit himself?

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 01:50:14 PM »
*snipped*

Thoughts, anyone?

TBH, I'd never noticed the guy in that screen-shot. Even if I had, for some reason I had a mental image of Harrison being somewhat older (although I now suspect that I may have been mistaken). The image is a bit fuzzy.

If this tweet is an image of the same person (presumably taken 9 years later), then it may have been Harrison.
https://twitter.com/huwwatkinsipo/status/876774041364963328

Offline Carana

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
Using the facts in the files, I would indeed argue that Orchard wasn't there. However, I can see no reason why someone (seemingly close to Grime) would make such an odd allegation if it wasn't true.

No idea who your source is, but there was someone on this board (apparently female) quite some time ago who was also seemingly "close to Grime" but who disappeared into oblivion.

Offline Carana

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 02:30:39 PM »
I very much doubt that Levy was actually there filming (in what capacity?)

My strong suspicion is that he somehow got hold of the videos, sold on the "juicy" extracts to the Sun, then posted what he'd got hold of on his blog, with his name as "copyright" on them.

I'm aware that some people believe that he edited the videos and reposted them, however, that doesn't correspond to what I was able to check back on. On the other hand, I very much doubt that the videos posted constituted all of the raw footage recorded.

Offline Carana

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 07:47:06 PM »

Not a name that I recognize from the files, but it's possible that an LP officer was nearby at that time, without necessarily being privy to the indoor searches.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
Not a name that I recognize from the files, but it's possible that an LP officer was nearby at that time, without necessarily being privy to the indoor searches.

DI Alan Orchard was yet another of the liaison officers sent to Portugal by Leicestershire Police. It doesn't say who he was liaising with.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 10:18:57 PM »
DI Alan Orchard was yet another of the liaison officers sent to Portugal by Leicestershire Police. It doesn't say who he was liaising with.

Yes, he does seem to have been a liaison officer.

On 30-07-07 a meeting was held with the PJ Director, myself and Leicestershire Police liaison officer DI Alan Orchard, who made relevant notes, to discuss the beach and marine environment at Praia da Luz and set a timeline for the PJ to re-search areas.

https://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm

NB: In context, isn't the "PJ Director" referred to  Guilhermino Encarnação?

From earlier in that report:

The authors search review terms of reference were set and agreed with the PJ Algarve regional Director Guilhermino Encarnacao...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 08:17:13 AM »
Yes, he does seem to have been a liaison officer.

On 30-07-07 a meeting was held with the PJ Director, myself and Leicestershire Police liaison officer DI Alan Orchard, who made relevant notes, to discuss the beach and marine environment at Praia da Luz and set a timeline for the PJ to re-search areas.

https://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm

NB: In context, isn't the "PJ Director" referred to  Guilhermino Encarnação?

From earlier in that report:

The authors search review terms of reference were set and agreed with the PJ Algarve regional Director Guilhermino Encarnacao...

Yes. Guilhermino Encarnação, the man in charge of deciding the direction which the investigation took, for which Amaral has been consistently blamed by those who don't understand the command structure of the PJ. 
Result = happy posting.