Author Topic: KM's Paperback (PB)  (Read 134392 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: KM's Paperback (PB)
« Reply #555 on: October 29, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
Mental health charities, British Medical Assoc (BMA) etc. 

It shows someone who is somewhat judgemental which by her own admission she is. 

A little girl who in all probability would not have disappeared had her parents not been so reckless.

Mental illness is a difficult thing to understand. It’s not like a broken leg or blocked artery, where the condition and solution are obvious. Gerry and I have a little personal and professional experience of it, and during the six months I worked in psychiatry I found it heartbreaking as well as quite fascinating.  To see someone you know as a warm, interesting and intelligent person when well and stable admitted to the ward in an uninhibited, distant and dishevelled state is very upsetting, and I can only begin to imagine how difficult it must be for partners, families and, of course, for the patients themselves, who must be so frightened and frustrated.
madeleine ... Kate McCann

I think you are on a very sticky wicket indeed if you imagine that anyone who has actually read Kate's book with unblinkered eyes would share your opinion of what she has written about the issue of mental health.

I think she was also well qualified to interpret how to file communications she received. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #556 on: October 29, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »
Just because the dictionary provides the definition of a word doesn't mean to say its appropriate to use.

Then why do so in this case?  you have just grossly offended me.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #557 on: October 29, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
You thinking I'm wrong doesn't make me so.

I have complied.  P. 379.

Its not open to interpretation.  Its there in black and white.

You have not complied until you have provided the quote which you attribute to Kate.  Your opinion doesn't count, it needs a quote something along the lines of TD/TD or P will do.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline The General

« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2019, 11:08:51 AM »
So delete it.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2019, 11:11:46 AM »

As The General said delete it but anyway you agree that the dictionary contains all sorts of words that many find offensive ie just because the dictionary contains the definition of a word does not mean it is appropriate to use eg 'mad' for the mentally ill?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #560 on: October 29, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »
I started the thread to discuss the contents of the PB.  Much the same way that I started a thread to discuss the PB written by DC. 

KM used the word 'mad' to describe those suffering mental illness.

No she didn't... She described the theories as mad.... Just as I could describe your claim to have solved the case as mad or crazy....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #561 on: October 29, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
As The General said delete it but anyway you agree that the dictionary contains all sorts of words that many find offensive ie just because the dictionary contains the definition of a word does not mean it is appropriate to use eg 'mad' for the mentally ill?

You seriously think there is a comparison?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #562 on: October 29, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
You have not complied until you have provided the quote which you attribute to Kate.  Your opinion doesn't count, it needs a quote something along the lines of TD/TD or P will do.

KM's labelling of her mail boxes:

- Information/for follow up
- Well-wishers
- Psychics/Dowsers/Visions
- Nasty
- Nutty

"The nonsensical letters destined for the 'Nutty' Box, have arrived fairly consistently.

"And then there are those it is impossible to be sure about whose correspondence goes into the 'Nutty' box.  We must assume that most of these letters, though not necessarily all of them, are sent by people suffering from mental illness, and I don't want to make light of their problems.  Indeed it is concerning, if our mail is anything to go by, how many vulnerable individuals there see to be out there with psychiatric conditions that remain either undiagnosed or nadequately treated".

Not labelling them in disparaging terms might be a start.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #563 on: October 29, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »

- Well-wishers
- Nasty
- Nutty

"The nonsensical letters destined for the 'Nutty' Box, have arrived fairly consistently.

"And then there are those it is impossible to be sure about whose correspondence goes into the 'Nutty' box.  We must assume that most of these letters, though not necessarily all of them, are sent by people suffering from mental illness, and I don't want to make light of their problems.  Indeed it is concerning, if our mail is anything to go by, how many vulnerable individuals there see to be out there with psychiatric conditions that remain either undiagnosed or nadequately treated".

You have misunderstood.
Kate is labelling the theories as nutty... Not the people who have sent them... She points this out clearly when she says not all in the nutty box came from the mentally I'll.  You are just interpreting it in a negative light... Imo

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #564 on: October 29, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
You seriously think there is a comparison?

Brietta posted that her dictionary uses the word 'mad' to describe the mentally ill.  I have pointed out that just because the dictionary offers up a description of a word doesn't make it appropriate to use. 

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #565 on: October 29, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
You have misunderstood.
Kate is labelling the theories as nutty... Not the people who have sent them... She points this out clearly when she says not all in the nutty box came from the mentally I'll.  You are just interpreting it in a negative light... Imo

You stating I have misunderstood something doesn't make it so.

Why would a qualified medi doctor and former GP describe theories sent to her in confidence and good faith by the mentally ill as 'nutty'?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #566 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
You stating I have misunderstood something doesn't make it so.

Why would a qualified medi doctor and former GP describe theories sent to her in confidence and good faith by the mentally ill as 'nutty'?

she described the theories as nutty...as she points out the nutty theories were not sent specifically by the mentally ill..

the mentally ill may well have sent some very good theories too..at least you none accept it was the theories she refferrred to not the people
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:42:28 AM by Davel »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #567 on: October 29, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
she described the theories as nutty...as she points out the nutty theories were not sent specifically by the mentally ill..

the mentally ill may well have sent some very good theories too..at least you none accept it was the theories she refferrred to not the people

I've accepted nothing of the sort.  Why would a medi doc/GP want to go anywhere near referring to the mentally ill as 'nutty'.  If she labelled her box in such a way why the need to write about it in her book? 

If the mentally ill sent in some good theories then no doubt these went in the box labelled up 'Information/For Follow Up'.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #568 on: October 29, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
I've accepted nothing of the sort.  Why would a medi doc/GP want to go anywhere near referring to the mentally ill as 'nutty'.  If she labelled her box in such a way why the need to write about it in her book? 

If the mentally ill sent in some good theories then no doubt these went in the box labelled up 'Information/For Follow Up'.

you claimed she referred to the mentally ill as nutty...that is clearly not true...she referred to the theories sent in as nutty...that is  a significant misunderstanding by you...if you disagree please provide a cite where she refers to the mentally ill as nutty

Offline Brietta

« Reply #569 on: October 29, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »

- Well-wishers
- Nasty
- Nutty

In my opinion that is not a cite which backs up your claims.

I think she shows a very even handed insightful approach to mental illness in her book.  I don't read into it what your prejudices lead you proclaim to the extent of putting words into her mouth.

There is a tendency in your posts to castigate Kate's approach to the reality of mental health issues with the prejudices of the past.
It is not as straight forward to deal with as other illnesses ... as I have already quoted Kate as writing ... but she is a professional who has studied and worked with those suffering from the conditions. 
Unlike some members of the general public I don't think she is swayed by the stigmatisation of those suffering mental health issues; but in my opinion she is perfectly well qualified to interpret the mental health of someone putting pen to paper without prejudice.