Author Topic: Street protests continue in London despite COVID rules.  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Street protests continue in London despite COVID rules.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »
In 2017, the latest year for which figures are available, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimated that 3.4m women had been victims of sexual assault in their lives. This included one million who had been raped, or had faced attempted rape.

About 650,000 men had experienced sexual assault.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
In 2017, the latest year for which figures are available, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimated that 3.4m women had been victims of sexual assault in their lives. This included one million who had been raped, or had faced attempted rape.

About 650,000 men had experienced sexual assault.

Ok, so how many of those were assaults by a stranger & how many were domestic abuse cases such as spousal rape?

I think it's important to make that distinction.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Geordie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 02:44:27 PM »
The lastest corona restrictions on gatherings came in to force in November, the BLM riots (call a spade a spade)were during the summer iirc

I'm pretty sure that restrictions on social gathering were still in place in June 2020 even though the full lockdown had ended.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
Ok, so how many of those were assaults by a stranger & how many were domestic abuse cases such as spousal rape?

I think it's important to make that distinction.
Why?  Is one more serious than the other?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 02:53:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that restrictions on social gathering were still in place in June 2020 even though the full lockdown had ended.
yes they were.  Social distancing definitely was.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »

That might be true, but, the BLM protests were in support of a former armed robber who was smashed off his face on fentanyl whilst failing to cooperate with the police, so obviously he deserves much more sympathy than any middle class law abiding white woman. Otherwise, racism or something.

Offline John

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
It is always interesting when those taking part in a mass gathering in contravention of the COVID rules think they aren't doing anything wrong.

Can we now pick and choose which laws we obey and which ones we flaunt?

IMO Cressida Dick was correct to uphold the rule of law last night especially when some of those taking part were using the event to cause trouble while others were throwing missiles at the police in order to provoke them. It's just a pity a lot more weren't made an example of.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:14:03 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2021, 03:19:22 PM »
It is always interesting when those taking part in a mass gathering in contravention of the COVID rules think they aren't doing anything wrong.

I can't go to the shops without wearing a face nappy, I've been prohibited from using my local gym or swimming pool for the past 4 months, can't visit relatives homes, Christmas was even criminalised & it was all for absolutely nothing if selfish people keep going out spreading germs all over the place & antagonising the police in the process every time they see something they disagree with.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2021, 03:21:31 PM »

IMO Cressida Dick was correct to uphold the rule of law last night especially when some of those taking part were using the event to cause trouble while others were throwing missiles at the police in order to provoke them. It's just a pity a lot more weren't made an example of.

The latest craze seems to be attacking the police, we've seen it with antifa & blm, now the women want a piece of the action. It's disgraceful imo.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 03:47:51 PM »

Has this all kicked off because there is a Policeman in the frame?

Violence against women is hardly new, so why else now?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »
The latest craze seems to be attacking the police, we've seen it with antifa & blm, now the women want a piece of the action. It's disgraceful imo.

I begin to see the point of violence against men, even if only rarely.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »

It’s odd that the other vigils around the country last night went off without incident.  Makes me think the Met’s approach was unnecessarily heavy-handed.  They really must have known how big burly policement dragging women to the ground, kneeling on them and handcuffing was going to play out in the media.  Are they stupid or something.  Don’t answer that...

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
It’s odd that the other vigils around the country last night went off without incident.  Makes me think the Met’s approach was unnecessarily heavy-handed.  They really must have known how big burly policement dragging women to the ground, kneeling on them and handcuffing was going to play out in the media.  Are they stupid or something.  Don’t answer that...

Yes, but were all the people at these other vigils chanting at the police & throwing objects at them, or were they behaving in the way decent members of society would at a vigil for a dead woman?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 04:30:07 PM »
Has this all kicked off because there is a Policeman in the frame?

Violence against women is hardly new, so why else now?

I was wondering the same thing!

Are people so fed up with lockdown that, any excuse for a mass gathering will do???

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 04:33:32 PM »
Yes, but were all the people at these other vigils chanting at the police & throwing objects at them, or were they behaving in the way decent members of society would at a vigil for a dead woman?
I don’t know, it would be strange though if it was only women in London who were badly behaved, and not in Nottingham or Manchester.  Perhaps the behaviour you refer to was retaliatory or provoked?  Whatever it was, it was stupid of the police to get so heavy handed with these women, it played right into the hands of those who may well have been there to show the police up in the first place.  Do you expect to see a massive increase in coronavirus cases in Clapham now as a result of yesterday’s vigil?   As I recall there wasn’t one after thr BLM protests.