Author Topic: Mail Van Robber Wullie Beck loses appeal against conviction.  (Read 4261 times)

Offline John

Mail Van Robber Wullie Beck loses appeal against conviction.
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
I so hate being right all the time but here we go again...

This is yet another failure for the University of Bristol Innocence Project led by Dr Michael Naughton and Gabe Tan.
Lets hope Simon Hall has more luck with them?   8(0(*

This case was referred by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission based in Glasgow so questions must now be again asked if this organisation is fit for purpose?

William Beck loses armed robbery conviction appeal

A man who has tried to clear his name more than 30 years after being jailed for the armed robbery of a postal van has had his appeal turned down.

William Beck, 52, was sentenced to four years after a jury found him guilty of the robbery in Livingston, West Lothian in December 1981. Around £21,000 was stolen from two postal workers.

Beck claimed he was 40 miles away in Glasgow when the robbery took place and his conviction in March 1982 was based on "unreliable" witnesses.

His grounds of appeal criticised the legal directions given to jurors by trial judge Lord Dunpark, the eye witness evidence Beck claims was mistaken, the rejection of his alibi and a claim that his legal team had let him down.

On Tuesday, his appeal was quashed at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh by Lord Carloway, sitting with Lords Brodie and Marnoch.

Delivering his opinion, Lord Carloway said: "The court has been unable to hold that a miscarriage of justice occurred."

Read more...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:41:19 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposť of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Admin

Re: Mail Van Robber Wullie Beck loses appeal against conviction.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
We notice that they are silent on ths issue.  And it was all going so well.   8(>((

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
We notice that they are silent on ths issue.  And it was all going so well.   8(>((

It just goes to show that handcuffing yourself to the doors of the SCCRC can get you in but it doesn't work with the High Court in Edinburgh.  The SCCRC are a disgrace and a sham organisation whose reasons for referring this case in the first place given everything which has gone before must now be questioned.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposť of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline devils advocate

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
Must be quite a blow for him this coming after 32 years and all those hours spent posting gibberish on the Shirley Mckie and Glasgow Innocence forums?   You have to remember that Beck is a self-confessed career criminal who used to nick cars in Glasgow for kicks.   I did think that the involvement of Dr Naughton might stand him in good stead.

Offline Joanne

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
They like 'hard to win' cases, next they'll be pleading Kevin Craigie didn't do it either!

Offline devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
They like 'hard to win' cases, next they'll be pleading Kevin Craigie didn't do it either!

Quite Joanne.  It makes for an interesting learning platform for students but does little for the poor sod who might just be innocent.   8(8-))

Offline Joanne

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »
I can't imagine it does their morale any good either.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »
I can't imagine it does their morale any good either.

I thought they were going to make a break through with the Beck case but there wasn't anything really new in what they provided to the court.  It all came down to identification evidence and the judges appeared to have had no doubt about it otherwise they could have called the conviction unsafe.

Offline Joanne

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:03:51 AM »
To be honest I don't know much about the case. I was glad Martin Foran's appeal went well, I met him last year and I like him. It seems to alter the perspective for me when I've either met someone or know them but then I fear it becoming a 'personal' case to sort rather than 'evidence' based case to deal with and cases can't really be judged on looks, only evidence.

Offline John

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 03:10:24 AM »
To be honest I don't know much about the case. I was glad Martin Foran's appeal went well, I met him last year and I like him. It seems to alter the perspective for me when I've either met someone or know them but then I fear it becoming a 'personal' case to sort rather than 'evidence' based case to deal with and cases can't really be judged on looks, only evidence.

Very true. Wullie Beck knows exactly what my feelings are towards him and his failure to apologise to all those good Glasgow folk he stole from. The UoBIP must be feeling rather war weary at this moment in time. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:12:49 AM by John »

Offline Joanne

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 03:13:52 AM »
Do they have information as to how many cases they have or are dealing with and the outcomes? Who funds the work? I mean it must cost something for stationery, phone calls et al.

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 03:17:10 AM »
Do they have information as to how many cases they have or are dealing with and the outcomes? Who funds the work? I mean it must cost something for stationery, phone calls et al.

As far as I understand they haven't won a case yet.  Bristol University funds their costs.

Offline Joanne

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:40 AM »
Do any of these organisations win or is it just bad luck (or stupidity) for Bristol?

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 03:35:30 AM »
Do any of these organisations win or is it just bad luck (or stupidity) for Bristol?

You have met them at a workshop in Sheffield Joanne, what do you think?

Offline Joanne

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »
I wouldn't trust them to feed Padgate, let alone fight my corner if I needed it.
Michael Naughton doesn't come over as credible, to me and from the Rough Justice show about Simon Hall, they seemed to view it as an episode of Scooby Doo or Heartbeat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:42:52 AM by Joanne »