Author Topic: Could the Rettendon Two be a potential MoJ.  (Read 165968 times)

Offline sika

Re: Could the Rettendon Two be a potential MoJ.
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
And are we really to believe that Nicholls only became a police informant during Jan '96 and not before:

In January 1996 Nicholls became a police informant. His handler was Detective Constable Bird. Their relationship was a corrupt one.

Especially given

The third importation occurred on 7/8 November. Nicholls and Corry collected £125,000 from Steele in the presence of Whomes. Nicholls and Corry then took the overnight ferry from Harwich and made their way to Stone's café. Although the preference had been to obtain herbal cannabis only cannabis resin was available. On this occasion Nicholls had hired a car but had had some difficulty with the hire company because it insisted on payment by credit card rather than cash. Nicholls did not have sufficient credit on his credit card and so had to telephone home to arrange for his wife to pay money into a bank account. The bank then provided a reference number which persuaded the hire company to release the car. All this was confirmed by documentary exhibits. Having obtained the drugs from Stone, Nicholls was unable to contact Steele and spoke instead to Whomes. Nicholls and Corry then proceeded to Blankenberg where the drugs were loaded into Steele's boat. Steele and Corry then returned to England with the drugs in the boat. Nicholls returned the hire car to Amsterdam and, having missed the night ferry, stayed in the Delta Hotel. He had difficulty in making telephone contact with Steele which is not surprising because in the early hours of 8 November Steele, Whomes, Corry and another man had been arrested on the beach at Felixstowe. At that time, according to Nicholls, the drugs had already been off-loaded at another point on the coast and the boat had then proceeded to Felixstowe where Corry was cleaning it at the time of arrest. A small trace of cannabis was later found in the boat following its seizure on this occasion. However those who had been arrested were soon released and no-one was charged with any offence at the time. Nicholls' knowledge of what had occurred in his absence came from subsequent conversations with Steele who also described tampering with the navigation system of the boat so that there was no record of where it had been.
Bent cop, Wolfgang Bird approached Nicholls in a pub in January 96.  This was of course just weeks after the murders when Police had commenced their investigation/surveillance operation. 

I therefore find it quite believable that this could have been Nicholls first instance of "grassing".

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
I'm just going back to Tucker's voice mail messages on his mobile and the call which I believe is from his girlfriend Anna Whitehead at 4.21 in

"Hi babe only me can you give me a ring round the flat, the flat what I used to be in [number?] [remember?] 557679 yes ring me straightaway yeah, right speak to you in a minute.  If not come round my other flat, I'm round [joy's] [the drive?] at the moment, wanna come round the flat.  I'll be here for the next about 15 minutes alright speak to you in a minute bye".

To my mind the above doesn't make sense.  She's asking him to call her at a flat she's not present at?  She's at Joys or the the drive.  I translated 'drive' but sika had it down as 'Joy's"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpxqhR1PYs

The number she refers to 557679 is a Basildon landline number registered to someone in the name of Garwood.  Possibly a Donna Garwood who accomapnied Tate and Rolfe to Amsterdam to bring cash back in respect of the dodgy cannabis.  This number feature in the tel schedules.   

This number appears numerous times in the tel schedules as calls from Tucker's mobile to the landline 557679 answered by Tate.  Then on other occasions it features as a call from the landline by Tate and shows as an alarm call to Tate.  Could the landline have been at a property used as a 'safe house' to store drugs with a security alarm that rang mobiles in the event of the alarm going off? 

If the girlfriends assisted in some way, or had knowledge, this would account for the fact some of Anna's phone messages appear to make little sense.  She's unlikely to leave incriminating tel messages for obvious reasons.  This might also explain her message about back from the stables at circa 11pm.

Donna Jagger in her WS makes ref to a 'safe house' and deals taking place at Tucker's stables.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6020.msg511362#msg511362

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6020.msg511364#msg511364
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline sika

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »
Jack Whomes' mother certainly seems to think her son is innocent but then I guess most do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imGdtTtBZs0

His siblings have also been very supportive especially his brother John Whomes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqFvk6wPGuc

I wonder if we could invite John to join the forum and/or ask him to upload case related docs?
i think that the Whomes family, in particular, John, have cooperated in this manner before. 

Crime writer Bernard O'Mahoney used to host a web site that supported Steele & Whomes.  It contained a lot of case related docs.  I have always assumed that these were provided by the Whomes family. 

O'Mahoney was involved in numerous 'projects' related to the case.  Having spent many years supporting the two, suddenly and for no apparent reason, O'Mahoney changed his stance and declared that the two men were in fact guilty as charged.

In his most recent documentary/film, O'Mahoney, on a night out with him, covertly recorded John Whomes allegedly admitting to his brothers involvement in the killings.  It was in fact, a crudely edited bit of audio that was intended to mislead and create a wholly false impression.  I fear that for this reason, John would be reluctant to get involved.  However, he would do well to give it serious consideration, as I feel sure that Holly would prove to be a seriously useful asset. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:54:18 PM by sika »

Offline sika

« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
This number appears numerous times in the tel schedules as calls from Tucker's mobile to the landline 557679 answered by Tate.  Then on other occasions it features as a call from the landline by Tate and shows as an alarm call to Tate.  Could the landline have been at a property used as a 'safe house' to store drugs with a security alarm that rang mobiles in the event of the alarm going off? 

If the girlfriends assisted in some way, or had knowledge, this would account for the fact some of Anna's phone messages appear to make little sense.  She's unlikely to leave incriminating tel messages for obvious reasons.  This might also explain her message about back from the stables at circa 11pm.

Donna Jagger in her WS makes ref to a 'safe house' and deals taking place at Tucker's stables.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6020.msg511362#msg511362

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6020.msg511364#msg511364
Donna Garwood was a girlfriend of Tony Tuckers.

The 'safe house' that is referred to, is Mick Steeles mothers garage in Point Clear. 

Offline sika

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
The little paperclip icon appears on your post but nothing has attached?
I tried to post up a copy of the hand written letter!

Offline Myster

« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »
I'm just going back to Tucker's voice mail messages on his mobile and the call which I believe is from his girlfriend Anna Whitehead at 4.21 in

"Hi babe only me can you give me a ring round the flat, the flat what I used to be in [number?] [remember?] 557679 yes ring me straightaway yeah, right speak to you in a minute.  If not come round my other flat, I'm round [joy's] [the drive?] at the moment, wanna come round the flat.  I'll be here for the next about 15 minutes alright speak to you in a minute bye".

To my mind the above doesn't make sense.  She's asking him to call her at a flat she's not present at?  She's at Joys or the the drive.  I translated 'drive' but sika had it down as 'Joy's"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpxqhR1PYs

The number she refers to 557679 is a Basildon landline number registered to someone in the name of Garwood.  Possibly a Donna Garwood who accomapnied Tate and Rolfe to Amsterdam to bring cash back in respect of the dodgy cannabis.  This number feature in the tel schedules.   
*%87    Cor' Blimey!... are you sure Essex is not in some far distant land where English is unheard of?

Sounds more like - "I'm round (at) Joy's (flat) at the moment" - whoever she is!

https://youtu.be/YGpxqhR1PYs?t=266

Tap the F5 key to repeat.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline sika

« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2019, 05:11:03 PM »
Just listened to Steele's police interviews part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCNylOuQc5Y

Just to add again someone has narrated a number of vids and claims to be reading original docs verbatim - no checks carried out to verify authenticity.

Venue: Colchester Police Station
Date: 14/05/96
Time: 22.30 - 22.45
Duration: 15 mins
Interviewing Officers: DC Richard Shakespeare and DC Philip Norton

- Firearm seized from Steele's property which was unconnected to murders.  Did he have a firearms licence for the weapon?

- A sum of cash was also seized.  He claims it was a loan to his partner from a relative pending sale of her home.  I believe Steele and his partner were about to sell their current home and purchase another.  She mentions this in his alibi.  I think it more likely the cash was from the proceeds of drug deals.  Significant quantities of cash often represent proceeds of crime/tax evasion.

- Officers put to him that Nicholls said they met at Marks Tey at 6pm on eve of murders.  If this was so and they travelled to Halfway House, Brentwood where Steele supposedly transferred to the Range Rover carrying Rolfe, Tate and Tucker for onward journey to Rettendon this would put him at soc at 7.07pm along with the murdered trio.  According to prosecution the mobile calls between Nicholls/Whomes at 6.59pm represent a call from Whomes to Nicholls for the getaway car.  I assume this is the reason Nicholls account was changed from 6pm to 5pm?  From the CoA doc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCNylOuQc5Y @ 12 min in meet at Marks Tey at 6pm

The arrangement was that Nicholls would meet Steele at Marks Tey at 5.00 o'clock.

Nicholls account is a crock of shite imo.
Steele didn't have a firearms licence.  Due to his previous convictions, he would never have been granted one.

Steele and Jackie Street had just purchased Meadow Cottage and were in the process of selling their current home, Oaklands.

The meeting time of 6pm was put to Steele but Nicholls had been unsure of the time in his account.  He knew it was before 6pm because Ron Parkinsons was still open when he arrived there.

Just to be clear, Steeles interview which is mentioned above was conducted on 16/5/96.  It was his 3rd interview.

Offline sika

« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
20/06/96 - Statement of WOLFGANG FORREST BIRD

Forenames WOLFGANG FORREST
Occupation POL DC
1C 1
Height 6'1

Number of Pages 4
Dated 200696 W F BIRD Signed

I make this statement of my own free will. I understand that I do not have to say anything but that it may harm my defence if I do not mention when questioned something which I later reply on in court. This statement may be giyen in evidence. I have been held on remand at H.M.P. Norwich since the 180596. I have been held in custody for about 5 weeks.

I am being held in a Segregation Unit at H.M.P. Norwich. I am held in a cell alone. This cell is about ten (10 foot by six (6) foot. I have a bed and a cardboard table and chair. The walls are covered by remnants of food. There is also a toilet and a wash basin. The Segregation Unit is the punishment house where the most difficult prisoners are held for short periods of time.

I am in my cell generally for twenty three hours a day subject to time for visits and exercise (which is generally thirty (30) minutes to an hour). I have very limited opportunity to hold a conversation with anybody else. I receive regular verbal abuse. I am at present receiving medication for depression and sleeping problems. I have regular medical checks'.

I do not feel mentally alert and. I feel I would have an inability to concentrate during an interview. I make this statement with the assistance of my legal representative. On the 290296 my registered informant, Darren NICHOLLS (pseudonym Ken RUGBY) provided me with information regarding the location of a quantity of cannabis resin. Details are recorded on an Essex Police Registered Informant Contact Form dated 290295, this in fact relates to 290296.

The wrong date was entered in error. I completed this form. The next day on the 010396 I met with Darren NICHOLLS and he identified the location of the cannabis resin. This is recorded on the same Essex Police form, dated 010396, and completed by me. These forms are handed to and logged by, the Detective Inspector.

As a result of this information I informed DS STIMPSON and arrangements through Detective Inspector ORPE were made for an Essex Police Diving Team to search for the cannabis resin and retrieve it if found. The same day a Diving Team attended ARC Pits, Church Lane, Bocking. After searching for some while they recovered a quantity of plastic bags and a holdall containing cannabis resin. The plastic bags were open and torn in varying degrees.

The cannabis resin was mushed, a number of blocks were broken. The cannabis resin was also saturated. The amount of cannabis resin was not weighed at the lake. DS STIMPSON and I, at the conclusion of the search, returned to Braintree Police Station with the recovered cannabis resin. We went straight to the Police Station from ARC Pits without interruption.

At the Police Station it was decided to store the cannabis resin in a lock up garage because of the smell and its saturated condition. DS STIMPSON and I laid out a number of blocks to dry, placed the mushier cannabis resin in a property bag and left the original bags and the holdall to dry. All the cannabis resin was placed in the lock up garage. I did not know how much had been recovered.

It was too wet to weigh, we did not have scales and a Scenes of Crime Officer was due to attend. As far as I am aware there was one key to the lock up. This was one of the reasons it was chosen for storage. The lock up was locked. After this day I attended the lock up on two more occasions.

Once with DS STIMPSON and a senior Scenes of Crime Officer to assess the suitability of the cannabis resin for analysis. Secondly, with PC NEAFSEY and a reporter from a local newspaper for publicity photograph. I did not retain the key at any time. The one occasion I had possession of the key was when PC NEAFSEY the reporter and I attended the lock up. We left the lock up together at the end of the visit.

I can not remember if PC NEAFSEY or I obtained the key for the purpose of the visit and which one of us returned it. I did not retain the key at any stage. I remember that when PC NEAFSEY and I attended the lock up with the reporter the cannabis resin had all been placed in Essex Police Property bags and sealed. They were photographed still sealed. I did not know who had sealed the cannabis resin or when it was done.

I am aware that approximately one week later a further search of ARC Pits was conducted and a further quantity of cannabis resin recovered. I was not involved in this and at no time had contact with this quantity of cannabis resin later recovered. At no time from the point of being made aware of the location of the cannabis resin until its being sent to the laboratory have I stolen any of this cannabis resin.

I totally deny the allegation against me. All reports concerning the seizure were to my knowledge as estimate of recovery based upon information from Darren NICHOLLS and heightened from maximum positive publicity. Darren NICHOLLS, as my registered informant, received a reward of four hundred pounds for the information he supplied. I have not at any time received any of this sum from him and totally deny the allegation against me.

The information from Darren NICHOLLS was that he was aware of the location of the cannabis resin; he was sketchy as to detail. At no time did he admit to me that he was responsible for putting the cannabis resin in the ARC Pit. When I pushed him to provide more details and the source of his knowledge he provided the details recorded in the Contact Forms.

Although I had my doubts as to the explanations he was providing I did not feel that I had reasonable grounds to act further at that time. I deny the allegations that Darren NICHOLLS now makes against me. I would like to add that D.I. ORPE was responsible for organising the diving team. I am aware that he had difficulty getting authority because the information was from an untried source and necessitated calling out officers at short notice.

The officers investigating this matter have indicated to me that members of the diving team state that they met DS STIMPSON and I with a further bag of seized cannabis resin at Braintree Police Station after our return. I do not clearly recall this but if that was the case this part of the seizure would have been placed with the rest.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
In Nicholls interview above, he mentions purchasing a battery from Ron Parkinson's.  He was able to produce a receipt for this purchase.

I recall reading about this elsewhere and it wasn't what it seems or was contested in some way.  Anyway lets assume he did purchase a battery from Ron Parkinson's shop how does this support Steele/Whomes carrying out the murders?  The shop was based in Marks Tey.  The murders Rettendon.  Distance between the two places is 24 miles/28 minutes. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
17/05/96 - RECORD OF TAPE RECORDED INTERVIEW of Darren Nicholls

DC BROWN
So getting back roughly to that phone call about 1400 then Darren that that you think that that was on on your way home from from work when you you'd already mentioned to us that he he'd like to meet you

Darren NICHOLLS
Yeah I would be on my way home from work (Pause)

DC WINSTONE
Further on then at 1506 there's another call from STEELE to your on his mobile phone to your mobile phone that's only a short one at fourteen seconds

Darren NICHOLLS
It could be an answering machine message I mean see when I'm coming home from work see what I do I go to work really early and come home quite early yeah that's my to miss the traffic

DC WINSTONE
Alright you mentioned to us before that you were going to a pub in Rainham to see some mates

Darren NICHOLLS
No Rayne

DC WINSTONE
Rayne I beg your pardon

Darren NICHOLLS
Rayne which is like literally Braintree

DC BROWN
Oh I'm sorry I thought you said Rainham before

Darren NICHOLLS
No Rayne

DC BROWN
That's Rayne okay

Darren NICHOLLS
RAYNE

DC BROWN
Yeah well we know Rayne now but

Darren NICHOLLS
I'm sorry yeah

DC BROWN
Okay

Darren NICHOLLS
On our way home from work me and cause I don't go to work on me own like um we always generally shall we go to the pub nar yeah alright then and we'll go in the pub for a couple of beers like literally every night on the way home cause that is a horrible journey and we do like five hours travelling

DC WINSTONE
Well that was going to be my next question if you left a 1400 what sort of time would you've arrived at the pub

Darren NICHOLLS
Oh no I might I might have been on my way by then I mean I'm not saying I left at 1400 I might have been on my way. What we tended to do was leave for work 0500 in the morning and like we could get round to TI by 0630 0645 and then we'd get all out tools in we'd start work the cafe would open at 0730 we'll fly over there and have something to eat and a cup of tea and then we'd work 'til or I we just set targets we'll do that and we'll go home because you know like the job's running over a few months so there's no point in killing it I mean and we all wanted to go home so we sort of set a target and it normally I mean we've left there before 1200 before where we flew in an' done what we've go to do and we'll come back tomorrow and carry on and other times I've been there as late as late as 1500 but generally 1500 was a one off I mean normally 1200 1300 I'm on my way home

DC WINSTONE
Right okay

Darren NICHOLLS
In a an' like my wife thought I worked a long day but I stopped in The Cock at Rayne

DC WINSTONE
Okay so the next the next call the next call is at 1557 and that's a two minute call logged from um STEELE's home address

Darren NICHOLLS
Yeah

DC WINSTONE
To your mobile do you remember that

Darren NICHOLLS
(Pause) to be honest no I don't really I mean I know I spoke to him that day and I know he said to me meet me at Ron PARKINSONS and he was saying to me how quick can you get there what time can you be there sort of thing but I can't remember actual um I can't remember you know conversation if you know what I mean

DC WINSTONE
Right

Darren NICHOLLS
I can't say yeah I remember like um cause I don't I mean I know what happened that day and I know I met him an' I know I can't even remember really approx I mean it must have been it was dark Ron PARKINSONS' was open and they shut at 1800 so I must have been there to meet him before six and Ron PARKINSONS still open cause like I say I I'm pretty sure I bought a motorbike battery that day for my ol' BSA and put it in the motor I was driving which I parked across the road from Ron PARKINSONS. Before I got in his Hi-Lux see like I was there before him and then we sat there an' an' like he said oh yeah well blarr blarr Jack and then Jack pulled up behind us and I didn't notice he said but Jack's behind us

DC WINSTONE
Which pubs did you go into at Rayne

Darren NICHOLLS
Rayne we always go in The Cock, there's only The Welsh Princess or The Cock

DC BROWN
So with that Darren when you went into Ron PARKINSONS' was Mickey there at that time

Darren NICHOLLS
No I'm pretty certain he wasn't there

DC BROWN
No

Darren NICHOLLS
I'd come out with my battery and I'm not sure if he was there

DC BROWN
Did you actually arrange the time or did it or was it

Darren NICHOLLS
Get there as soon as you can there wasn't

DC BROWN
And I'm coming down and I'll meet you there

Darren NICHOLLS
There was a time I mean I just can't think of it it was early I mean Ron PARKINSONS' was open and it was um I don't know

DC BROWN
And that an' you say you bought a new battery

Darren NICHOLLS
Put it in my car

DC BROWN
Put it in your car

Darren NICHOLLS
I think I mean I have bought I I've met him a few times and one of the times I bought a battery and like for some reason I think it was that time

DC BROWN
Are you saying that you've actually met Mickey STEELE at Ron PARKINSONS before

Darren NICHOLLS
Yeah well I like I have met him there before yeah that was a

DC BROWN
So forgetting the incident that happened on the 061200 that we were gonna go into what were the circumstances of you meeting him there at Ron PARKINSONS before

Darren NICHOLLS
Oh when I'd got some money for him things like that and when he when I said like cause I work at Heathrow an' like I do do some long days and he'll ring me up and want to meet me an' talk to me or or get his money off me I'll say to him oh please meet us half way like and he'll alright then I'll meet you at Ron PARKINSONS and he'll say right I'm leaving now you leave now sort of thing

DC BROWN
Right

Darren NICHOLLS
An' so I have met him there before

DC BROWN
Yes but but you

Darren NICHOLLS
I'm always there before him he's always late that bloke

DC BROWN
But you're you're fairly happy in you own mind that it was possibly that occasion when you bought the battery.

Darren NICHOLLS
I'm pretty sure it was that occasion I mean I can't like that's I'm say pretty sure because generally if it was early enough he'd say no come over to me he'd be really like no you can come to me if you see what I mean if it it would have to be quite late like and I'd say look f..k me I got up a 0400 this morning to go to work can't you just meet me and he he'd say yeah okay then like halfway sort of thing you know he wasn't very um he wasn't a very easy person to do like what you wanted it had to be his way that's why I think it was then cause there's not many times I've ever been to Ron PARKINSONS and it's been open I normally look in the window dreaming like you know

DC BROWN
Yeah

Darren NICHOLLS
Thinking I'd like to own one

DC BROWN
Okay so getting back to that and as you appreciate Darren we're when we're gonna have to dissect everything that happens from now on

Darren NICHOLLS
Yeah

DC BROWN
Yeah with within the timescale so that do you you've mentioned before you obviously went there in a vehicle and in previous discussions that you can't remember that have you had any more thoughts on what vehicle that you went there in

Darren NICHOLLS
I can t remember um it sticks in me head that it might've been my firms van

DC BROWN
Which is

Darren NICHOLLS
Um it's an old yellow Toyota Hi-Lux um Hiace a really battered ol' yellow one it's not mine it actually belongs to DWT

DC BROWN
What a pick-up or a van

Darren NICHOLLS
A van

DC BROWN
A van right

Darren NICHOLLS
A battered up ol' van

DC BROWN
And then where do you think you parked it

Darren NICHOLLS
Oh I everytime I ever went to meet him I always parked in the same place apart from

DC BROWN
Which is

Darren NICHOLLS
Um do you know Ron PARKINSONS at all

DC BROWN
Yes

Darren NICHOLLS
Right so you come off of the roundabout

DC BROWN
Yes

Darren NICHOLLS
And you come round the corner to Ron PARKINSONS and as you come round the corner there's some flats on your left that road there. I used to go down there

DC BROWN
There's a little parking area there isn't there

Darren NICHOLLS
I didn't park in the parking area I mean the yellow lines come round that corner and I used to basically turn round and park on the edge of the yellow lines so I was on no yellow lines by the yellow lines do you see what I mean

DC BROWN
Yes yeah I do

Darren NICHOLLS
So I just basically legally parked and then I'd normally go and day dream in the shop window and he'd turn up an'

DC BROWN
Right so get specifically on the 061200 so you park up with the vehicle that you believe may have been the the the Toyota

Darren NICHOLLS
I think it was that as I say I don't know why but i think it was that

DC BROWN
And then you walk across the road and (pause) was Mickey there or do you think you

Darren NICHOLLS
No he wasn't there

DC BROWN
So you've gone over and hung around on the car park of of or the front of PARKINSONS

Darren NICHOLLS
No they were open that's that's why I looked inside and I think I bought a battery but I I have bought a battery from 'em a long time ago but I bought a battery an' um I'm sure I bought it then

DC BROWN
Okay so going back to that

Darren NICHOLLS
And put it back in the van then I think as I'm sort of going back to the van he's pulled up and sort of like bib bib and I had to sort of go hang on a minute I'm putting my battery in cause they say keep it upright for an hour an' a half before you use it sort of thing that's my

DC BROWN
And if and if that obviously was the case then you go back over

Darren NICHOLLS
An' get in his motor

DC BROWN
And get in his car right

Darren NICHOLLS
Right I had the mobile phone with me

DC BROWN
Right and would you just take it from there so you get in to the car and what is the the like the deal or not deal but like you know what's gonna happen as far as you're concerned

Darren NICHOLLS
He said would (pause) I it's difficult I think we're waiting for Jack right I don't know how the conversation come to it and the conversation is we're meeting we're meeting TATEY we're gonna go for a deal with him about we're gonna show him where there's gonna be a Cocaine drop an you see thats what I'm saying in my mind I think he did say to me they wasn't having a deal they're showing 'em where a deal is I'm not certain if he was saying to me there's gonna be a deal on this is where a deals gonna be

DC BROWN
Right now at that time Darren can you cast your mind back and think what you were wearing

Darren NICHOLLS
What I was wearing absolutely no hope these are new boots me old boots are me old boots are newish boots and I'm normally wearing a pair of boots so like I'm thinking that the pair of boots that I might have been wearing would I've been wearing boots yeah cause I didn't change me clothes or nothing like that I go straight from work. Generally work is tracksuit bottoms because you can move like around in these an' you don't sweat as much as jeans just an ol' T-shirt and it would be a pair of boots cause I've never actually owned a pair of trainers 'till about a month ago I've never had a pair for years

DC BROWN
Right and you think that's probably what you were dressed in then do you

Darren NICHOLLS
Ninety nine per cent chance it'll be a

DC BROWN
And an' do you remember what STEELE was wearing

Darren NICHOLLS
No I'm see I know he was wearing overalls but

DC BROWN
No I mean at that time I

Darren NICHOLLS
... put them on yeah

DC BROWN
we don't want to jump forward

Darren NICHOLLS
No I think to be honest with you I think (pause) no I don't I mean I know when we went back to the Hi-Lux he took off overalls and wellies and his shoes (pause) no I think he was just wearing clothes because I presume that this assumption that I'm sure he was just wearing clothes he wasn't like dressed unusually so I thought to meself he's unusually dressed I think he was wearing clothes and probably changed when he parked his Hi-Lux because I supppose if you're gonna show someone in the middle of the dirty old a field where you're gonna have a deal it wouldn't be unusual for them to think oh he's putting a pair of wellies on sort of thing you know.

I find him totally unreliable and he's clearly an untrustworthy individual who it appears to me is always looking to pull a fast one:

- He served a custodial sentence for counterfeiting
- Clearly undeterred by the above he willingly joins Steele in his importation of cannabis from Holland. 
- He obviously has the trust of someone to work unsupervised and supervise others.  The job is running over (meaning behind schedule?) but instead of pulling his finger out he spends the first part of the morning in the cafe and is then off by midday. 
- Having put in a 4/5 hour shift he heads to a pub in Rayne where it seems he spends his afternoons.  Drink driving?
- He seems to take delight in telling the officers how his wife thinks he's working when he's actually wiling away his afternoons in the pub
- I can't find anything of evidential vlaue
- He claims he left Braintree for work at circa 5am.  He then drove to Heathrow and then back to the the pub in Rayne, Braintree before meeting up with Steele at Marks Tey.  And yet not a word about the dire road conditions, traffic and snow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOb7ksC-NJ8

- Post murders he was happy to continue his association with Steele/Whomes.  The official verdict (CoA doc) seems to be that the last importation took place on 7/8 Nov.  This was the dodgy batch of cannabis that was either returned to supplier John Stone or supposedly destroyed.  And yet come May '86 Nicholls is stopped and has 10k of cannabis in his boot.  I see no reason/evidence that Steele stopped importing post dodgy batch or post murders? 

- Officers are asking about Nicholls's whereabouts/times and yet I see no evidence his mobile phone/data was placed under the sort of scrutiny Whomes' mobile phone/data underwent?  The technology clearly existed at that time to determine his whereabouts and times based on his mobile calls made and received. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOb7ksC-NJ8

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »
It became apparent that Steele and Whomes had arranged a meeting with Tate. Steele said that its purpose was a drugs deal. From Marks Tey Steele and Nicholls travelled in the Toyota and Whomes followed in the Passat. Both vehicles stopped at a country park at which point Nicholls joined Whomes in the Passat which Nicholls then drove. Whomes told Nicholls to drive to the Halfway House public house and park. When they arrived the Toyota was there and Whomes told Nicholls to park at a distance from it. A Range Rover then arrived and parked next to the Toyota. Whomes said that it was Tate in the Range Rover. Whomes then directed Nicholls along the A130 close to the village of Rettenden. He indicated a farm track whereupon Nicholls drove in and turned the car round. Whomes got out of the car, told Nicholls to go elsewhere and await a phone call to pick Whomes up at the same place. Whomes took a canvas bag and a coat from the back of the car. Nicholls drove to a nearby public house, The Wheatsheaf. There he saw that his mobile phone signal was poor so he drove off and parked again in Meadow Road. Before very long Whomes telephoned to be picked up. Nicholls drove back to the farm track. At first he did not see anyone but Whomes arrived and went into the back of the car.

The above is from CoA re Nicholl's account of the murders:

Which farm track?

"He parked again in Meadow Road".  When was the first time?

According to Nicholls he and Whomes waited for the Range Rover at the Halfway House.  Once it turned up he and Whomes then left in the VW Passat.  Meanwhile Steele is transferring from his own car to the Range Rover for onward journey to Rettendon.  Nicholls did not say anything about driving fast but I assume he must have done to race the Range Rover to Rettendon with Whomes needing to be dropped off, walk a distance from the dropping off point to the soc and lie in wait with the shotgun at the ready!

Total BS imo.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
20/06/96 - Statement of WOLFGANG FORREST BIRD

Forenames WOLFGANG FORREST
Occupation POL DC
1C 1
Height 6'1

Number of Pages 4
Dated 200696 W F BIRD Signed

I make this statement of my own free will. I understand that I do not have to say anything but that it may harm my defence if I do not mention when questioned something which I later reply on in court. This statement may be giyen in evidence. I have been held on remand at H.M.P. Norwich since the 180596. I have been held in custody for about 5 weeks.

I am being held in a Segregation Unit at H.M.P. Norwich. I am held in a cell alone. This cell is about ten (10 foot by six (6) foot. I have a bed and a cardboard table and chair. The walls are covered by remnants of food. There is also a toilet and a wash basin. The Segregation Unit is the punishment house where the most difficult prisoners are held for short periods of time.

I am in my cell generally for twenty three hours a day subject to time for visits and exercise (which is generally thirty (30) minutes to an hour). I have very limited opportunity to hold a conversation with anybody else. I receive regular verbal abuse. I am at present receiving medication for depression and sleeping problems. I have regular medical checks'.

I do not feel mentally alert and. I feel I would have an inability to concentrate during an interview. I make this statement with the assistance of my legal representative. On the 290296 my registered informant, Darren NICHOLLS (pseudonym Ken RUGBY) provided me with information regarding the location of a quantity of cannabis resin. Details are recorded on an Essex Police Registered Informant Contact Form dated 290295, this in fact relates to 290296.

The wrong date was entered in error. I completed this form. The next day on the 010396 I met with Darren NICHOLLS and he identified the location of the cannabis resin. This is recorded on the same Essex Police form, dated 010396, and completed by me. These forms are handed to and logged by, the Detective Inspector.

As a result of this information I informed DS STIMPSON and arrangements through Detective Inspector ORPE were made for an Essex Police Diving Team to search for the cannabis resin and retrieve it if found. The same day a Diving Team attended ARC Pits, Church Lane, Bocking. After searching for some while they recovered a quantity of plastic bags and a holdall containing cannabis resin. The plastic bags were open and torn in varying degrees.

The cannabis resin was mushed, a number of blocks were broken. The cannabis resin was also saturated. The amount of cannabis resin was not weighed at the lake. DS STIMPSON and I, at the conclusion of the search, returned to Braintree Police Station with the recovered cannabis resin. We went straight to the Police Station from ARC Pits without interruption.

At the Police Station it was decided to store the cannabis resin in a lock up garage because of the smell and its saturated condition. DS STIMPSON and I laid out a number of blocks to dry, placed the mushier cannabis resin in a property bag and left the original bags and the holdall to dry. All the cannabis resin was placed in the lock up garage. I did not know how much had been recovered.

It was too wet to weigh, we did not have scales and a Scenes of Crime Officer was due to attend. As far as I am aware there was one key to the lock up. This was one of the reasons it was chosen for storage. The lock up was locked. After this day I attended the lock up on two more occasions.

Once with DS STIMPSON and a senior Scenes of Crime Officer to assess the suitability of the cannabis resin for analysis. Secondly, with PC NEAFSEY and a reporter from a local newspaper for publicity photograph. I did not retain the key at any time. The one occasion I had possession of the key was when PC NEAFSEY the reporter and I attended the lock up. We left the lock up together at the end of the visit.

I can not remember if PC NEAFSEY or I obtained the key for the purpose of the visit and which one of us returned it. I did not retain the key at any stage. I remember that when PC NEAFSEY and I attended the lock up with the reporter the cannabis resin had all been placed in Essex Police Property bags and sealed. They were photographed still sealed. I did not know who had sealed the cannabis resin or when it was done.

I am aware that approximately one week later a further search of ARC Pits was conducted and a further quantity of cannabis resin recovered. I was not involved in this and at no time had contact with this quantity of cannabis resin later recovered. At no time from the point of being made aware of the location of the cannabis resin until its being sent to the laboratory have I stolen any of this cannabis resin.

I totally deny the allegation against me. All reports concerning the seizure were to my knowledge as estimate of recovery based upon information from Darren NICHOLLS and heightened from maximum positive publicity. Darren NICHOLLS, as my registered informant, received a reward of four hundred pounds for the information he supplied. I have not at any time received any of this sum from him and totally deny the allegation against me.

The information from Darren NICHOLLS was that he was aware of the location of the cannabis resin; he was sketchy as to detail. At no time did he admit to me that he was responsible for putting the cannabis resin in the ARC Pit. When I pushed him to provide more details and the source of his knowledge he provided the details recorded in the Contact Forms.

Although I had my doubts as to the explanations he was providing I did not feel that I had reasonable grounds to act further at that time. I deny the allegations that Darren NICHOLLS now makes against me. I would like to add that D.I. ORPE was responsible for organising the diving team. I am aware that he had difficulty getting authority because the information was from an untried source and necessitated calling out officers at short notice.

The officers investigating this matter have indicated to me that members of the diving team state that they met DS STIMPSON and I with a further bag of seized cannabis resin at Braintree Police Station after our return. I do not clearly recall this but if that was the case this part of the seizure would have been placed with the rest.

3 officers involved in this case have either faced disciplinary hearings and/or faced criminal trials and/or been found guilty:

Bird
Stimpson
Shakespeare

The above are probably the tip of the ice-berg.  Who was working with who and what channels of communication existed between the various players?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
i think that the Whomes family, in particular, John, have cooperated in this manner before. 

Crime writer Bernard O'Mahoney used to host a web site that supported Steele & Whomes.  It contained a lot of case related docs.  I have always assumed that these were provided by the Whomes family. 

O'Mahoney was involved in numerous 'projects' related to the case.  Having spent many years supporting the two, suddenly and for no apparent reason, O'Mahoney changed his stance and declared that the two men were in fact guilty as charged.

In his most recent documentary/film, O'Mahoney, on a night out with him, covertly recorded John Whomes allegedly admitting to his brothers involvement in the killings.  It was in fact, a crudely edited bit of audio that was intended to mislead and create a wholly false impression.  I fear that for this reason, John would be reluctant to get involved.  However, he would do well to give it serious consideration, as I feel sure that Holly would prove to be a seriously useful asset.

Or liability!  I have no allegiance to any of these people. 

As it stands I think there's a lot more to this case than meets the eye and I'm more inclined to see Steele/Whomes innocent. 

I know I keep repeating it but I just don't understand the emphasis on Whomes' mobile calls at 18.59.  We know cells/masts are situated all over the country.  Whomes was in the vicinity of Rettendon therefore his calls were routed through masts at Ingatestone and Hockley.  Which masts were Nicholls calls received on?  I would like to see mast data for every call on all the relevant mobiles throughout the day to plot movements. 

If Tate was at Rettendon at 18.44 when he received his call from Sarah Saunders which mast was this call routed through?  If it wasn't Ingatestone or Hockley then this totally destroys the prosecution case.  Nicholls received a call on his mobile at 19.19 and 21.22.  He made a call at 19.55.  He may well have made others but these are listed on the schedule.  Which masts were these calls routed through?  Does it fit with his evidence? 

https://www.coolsmartphone.com/2016/11/10/locate-mobile-mast/

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
Donna Garwood was a girlfriend of Tony Tuckers.

The 'safe house' that is referred to, is Mick Steeles mothers garage in Point Clear.

Once Rolfe, Tate and Tucker took delivery of their share of the cannabis and handed over money for it I doubt they would keep it at Steele's mother at Point Clear? 

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
*%87    Cor' Blimey!... are you sure Essex is not in some far distant land where English is unheard of?

Sounds more like - "I'm round (at) Joy's (flat) at the moment" - whoever she is!

https://youtu.be/YGpxqhR1PYs?t=266

Tap the F5 key to repeat.

Oooo that's clever, thanks. 

It doesn't make sense to me she's asking Tucker to call her on a landline straightaway but then says she's elsewhere and will be there for the next 15 mins  *%87