Author Topic: Is DR Sandra Lean a credible source?  (Read 62124 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Is DR Sandra Lean a credible source?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2021, 01:33:38 AM »
By CHRIS MOONEY
A FORMER girlfriend of Luke Mitchell has told how he held a knife to her throat and threatened: "Dont move . . . or Ill gut you."
Just months before he stabbed Jodi Jones to death, Mitchell grabbed the girl and pressed his prized Swiss Army knife against the frightened 14-year-olds neck.

The terrifying incident was just one example of Mitchells aggressive and unpredictable behaviour which disturbed his friends.

The pretty 14-year-old, who dated Mitchell for about five months in 2003, told how the teenage killer pounced on her in a community hall in the Dalkeith area.

The girl - who asked to remain anonymous - was walking alone through the hall, where the pair attended a youth club together, when he grabbed her from behind. He held the knife to her throat as he dragged her into a side room.

"I didnt know if he was joking around or not to begin with," she said. "He said: Dont move or Ill gut you. At first I thought he was just mucking about, but then I started to feel threatened.

"I was sore round my neck, it was bright red afterwards. He had grabbed me round the neck with his arm and held the knife at my throat, saying he was going to cut me and stuff like that.

"I was nipping his arm to get him off me and after a couple of minutes he let me go. I went outside and just tried to ignore him, but then he came out as if it was all a laugh and said sorry.

"There was no reason for him to do it. He just pulled the knife from his pocket and grabbed me. I thought it was really strange."

Soon after the incident, in May, 2003, the girl ended the fledgling relationship - just a month before Mitchell killed Jodi.

She broke things off after increasingly seeing a darker side to his personality. The final straw came when a friend told her Mitchell was seeing another girl - who she is now sure was Jodi.

It now appears Mitchell was seeing at least three different girls at the same time. The murder trial jury heard that the teenage killer had also been seeing Kim Thomson, a 15-year-old from Kenmore, Perthshire, who looked strikingly like Jodi.

Mitchell had stayed in touch with Kim, who considered him as her boyfriend, after meeting her on holiday in the summer of 2002.

The ex-girlfriend who Mitchell threatened with a knife told the Evening News she had initially found him charming, attractive and "basically a nice bloke".

The pair were both 14 and went to the same youth club.

"When I first saw him, everybody in the room was chatting and we started talking - asking whats your name? and that sort of thing," she said.

"We got each others phone numbers and started texting each other quite a lot. He was good-looking and I liked talking to him. I thought he was really nice."

The teenager followed the same goth-style fashion as Mitchell at the time, but shrugged it off as a fad and changed her image as she got older. She said they had got on well for a while, but then things had started to change.

"
He sometimes showed a side that wasnt him. He was quite aggressive to me and to other people," she added.

"He was really bad-tempered and he was totally unpredictable. He didnt want to be told what to do. I knew he carried weapons with him and he had a Swiss Army knife. I did wonder why he had it, but I never questioned him at all."

The ex-girlfriend said shed had little contact with Mitchell since they broke up, but that he had threatened her friends when he saw them in the street.

She added: "When I heard he was a suspect I knew he must have been going out with Jodi when he was seeing me.

"I was really upset when I heard what he was supposed to have done.

"At first, I never thought he could have done it. But, as all the stuff started to come together, I started to think it was possible, that he could do this, because of the way he acted and what hed done to me."

The full article contains 759 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.
Last Updated: 21 January 2005 2:52 PM
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2021, 01:36:01 AM »
By NICOLA STOW AND CHRIS MOONEY
TO his friends, he looked his usual self, laughing and smiling as he partied in Edinburgh nightclub Studio 24.
What they didnt know was that days before he had brutally murdered his girlfriend Jodi Jones.

The image of Mitchell - smiling and joking and "living life to the full" - at a goth club night is something that will never leave former classmate Ben Sole.

"He looked fine," said Mr Sole, 17, who grew up with Mitchell.

"I saw him in the club and I remember going up to chat to him. I thought he must have been going through a difficult time - his girlfriend had just been murdered. But he was having a great time and he was joking about with me."

The club night at the Calton Road venue was popular with the alternative crowd which both Mitchell and Jodi used to hang around with.

"I remember the conversation I had with him," Mr Sole added.

"I used to have long hair and had just had it all cut off. Luke made some kind of joke to me - something along the lines of youve cut your hair - youre not one of us now. I made some remark and he laughed.

"He just carried on as normal - he seemed like he was having a really good time. He just carried on living life."

The schoolboy killers chilling ability to cut himself off emotionally from what was going on around him surprised Mr Sole.

But it was to become an all-to-familiar trait to those who watched him during the murder investigation and subsequent trial at the High Court in Edinburgh.

It was clear when he stood stubbing out cigarettes beside Jodis grave just hours after her funeral in front of the watching media.

Despite her familys wishes, he had turned up, accompanied by another girl and his ever-supportive mother. He swore at photographers and a taxi driver who refused to take him home.

Earlier that day, as Jodis family attended an emotional funeral service, he chose to break his public silence and give a television interview in which he denied his guilt. And in the evening, he complained to police after Jodis grieving mother removed the flowers he left on his victims grave.

Mitchell, who was just 14 when he murdered Jodi, has never publicly shed a tear and did not wince when pictures of Jodis mutilated body were shown in the High Court.

The boy who was capable of carrying out one of the most brutal and grotesque crimes in recent Scottish history grew up in a dysfunctional family.

As he grew up in Newbattle, Dalkeith, he learned he could do exactly as he pleased. His parents Corinne and Philip are thought to have split up in 1999. After that, discipline - or what there was of it - was left to his mother.

Left largely to his own devices, he was free to pursue an unhealthy fascination with knives and the macabre.

Impressed by his older brother Shanes collection of knives, he began to acquire weapons himself, including a vicious lock knife with a six-inch blade, which got him into trouble at an Army Cadets meeting. He also spent hours smoking cannabis.

Friends said even at the age of 14, Mitchell was never without a plentiful supply of the drug. They were also impressed by the amount of cash he had, far more than anyone else his age.

Luke boasted to psychiatrists that he smoked the equivalent of 40 joints a day before doubling his use in the wake of Jodis murder.

The freedom he enjoyed living with his mother impressed his friends.

He was, according to Mr Sole, "allowed to do more or less whatever he wanted".

The indulgence of his mother - who was the one to supply an alibi in an attempt to save him from prison - seemed limitless.

When Luke decided he wanted a tattoo, rather than stop him or try to dissuade him, his mother went with him to Whiplash Trash in Cockburn Street. There, she lied to staff about her sons age so he could get what he wanted.

The lack of any supervision struck detectives who searched his bedroom in Newbattle Abbey Crescent, Easthouses.

Under his bed, they found more than 20 bottles of his own urine stored under his bed. No-one had intervened to stop his bizarre habit.

Mr Sole, who met Mitchell at Kings Park Primary School, said signs of his classmates violent personality were evident at an early age.

He recalled one incident when seven-year-old Mitchell "smashed up" his bike following an argument and how, years later, he punched a fellow pupil in the face in the school canteen.

Something of a loner, Mitchell had once also commented how easy it would be to stab someone in the eye with a corkscrew.

Often moody, and an unpredictable companion, fellow Army Cadets in Bonnyrigg found that Mitchell was unwilling to bow to authority.

One former cadet said: "If he was told to do something by anyone he would get really angry and start shouting at people and throwing things about. People found that extremely weird."

Despite this, he was never short of girlfriends, although he had few close male friends.

In the months before he killed Jodi, Luke was seeing at least two other girls, one in Perthshire and another who lived closer to his Midlothian home. None knew about his relationship with the others.

His determination to be individual and stand out from the crowd seemed to be part of the attraction.

With his distinctive goth-influenced style, he was an accepted part of the alternative crowd at St Davids, as well as in Greyfriars Kirkyard when he made regular trips into Edinburgh.

One friend, who recalled his tendency to exaggerate stories in an effort to make himself look better, said: "He did have more girlfriends than boys who were mates, probably because boys were more likely to turn against him. He felt he had a bit more control over the girls.

"I knew at school he was getting into a lot of trouble.

"He said to me once that he was in a fight with a couple of boys and said he won. He said hed taken them on himself, but I didnt believe him. It just wasnt believable."

Another described his ability to be a loner even when part of a crowd.

"He had what you might call friends, but most of them didnt really like him that much. They said he was strange," h
e said.

"When I first met him, someone who had known him before I did said he was a strange guy, the way he acted and the way he dressed."

In the words of one friend, Luke always liked to be "crackpot different", determined to go the extra mile to make his appearance truly original.

A fan of underground and "nu metal" groups such as Slipknot, Lukes favourite bands were goths and punks. He adopted their look, but always with a difference.

"Goths and punks have their own fashion, but they tend to stick to it, so theyre pretty much all the same - not Luke," said the friend.

"He liked to be different and to take the goth idea further by wearing things that were even more extreme. He was always wearing dark clothes, headbands, armbands, you name it."

This individualistic style and rebellious nature was ultimately what attracted his victim to him and led to her death.

The full article contains 1308 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.
Last Updated: 21 January 2005 2:51 PM

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:06:50 AM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2021, 02:03:25 AM »
TO his friends, he looked his usual self, laughing and smiling as he partied in Edinburgh nightclub Studio 24.
What they didnt know was that days before he had brutally murdered his girlfriend Jodi Jones.

The image of Mitchell - smiling and joking and "living life to the full" - at a goth club night is something that will never leave former classmate Ben Sole.

"I saw him in the club and I remember going up to chat to him. I thought he must have been going through a difficult time - his girlfriend had just been murdered. But he was having a great time and he was joking about with me."

The club night at the Calton Road venue was popular with the alternative crowd which both Mitchell and Jodi used to hang around with.

"I used to have long hair and had just had it all cut off. Luke made some kind of joke to me - something along the lines of youve cut your hair - youre not one of us now. I made some remark and he laughed.

"He just carried on as normal - he seemed like he was having a really good time. He just carried on living life."

The schoolboy killers chilling ability to cut himself off emotionally from what was going on around him surprised Mr Sole.

But it was to become an all-to-familiar trait to those who watched him during the murder investigation and subsequent trial at the High Court in Edinburgh.

It was clear when he stood stubbing out cigarettes beside Jodis grave just hours after her funeral in front of the watching media.

Despite her familys wishes, he had turned up, accompanied by another girl and his ever-supportive mother. He swore at photographers and a taxi driver who refused to take him home.

Earlier that day, as Jodis family attended an emotional funeral service, he chose to break his public silence and give a television interview in which he denied his guilt. And in the evening, he complained to police after Jodis grieving mother removed the flowers he left on his victims grave.

Mitchell, who was just 14 when he murdered Jodi, has never publicly shed a tear and did not wince when pictures of Jodis mutilated body were shown in the High Court.

The boy who was capable of carrying out one of the most brutal and grotesque crimes in recent Scottish history grew up in a dysfunctional family.

As he grew up in Newbattle, Dalkeith, he learned he could do exactly as he pleased. His parents Corinne and Philip are thought to have split up in 1999. After that, discipline - or what there was of it - was left to his mother.

Left largely to his own devices, he was free to pursue an unhealthy fascination with knives and the macabre.

Impressed by his older brother Shanes collection of knives, he began to acquire weapons himself, including a vicious lock knife with a six-inch blade, which got him into trouble at an Army Cadets meeting. He also spent hours smoking cannabis.

Friends said even at the age of 14, Mitchell was never without a plentiful supply of the drug. They were also impressed by the amount of cash he had, far more than anyone else his age.

Luke boasted to psychiatrists that he smoked the equivalent of 40 joints a day before doubling his use in the wake of Jodis murder.

The indulgence of his mother - who was the one to supply an alibi in an attempt to save him from prison - seemed limitless.

When Luke decided he wanted a tattoo, rather than stop him or try to dissuade him, his mother went with him to Whiplash Trash in Cockburn Street. There, she lied to staff about her sons age so he could get what he wanted.

The lack of any supervision struck detectives who searched his bedroom in Newbattle Abbey Crescent, Easthouses.

Under his bed, they found more than 20 bottles of his own urine stored under his bed. No-one had intervened to stop his bizarre habit.

Mr Sole, who met Mitchell at Kings Park Primary School, said signs of his classmates violent personality were evident at an early age.

He recalled one incident when seven-year-old Mitchell "smashed up" his bike following an argument and how, years later, he punched a fellow pupil in the face in the school canteen.

Something of a loner, Mitchell had once also commented how easy it would be to stab someone in the eye with a corkscrew.

Often moody, and an unpredictable companion, fellow Army Cadets in Bonnyrigg found that Mitchell was unwilling to bow to authority.

One former cadet said: "If he was told to do something by anyone he would get really angry and start shouting at people and throwing things about. People found that extremely weird."

Despite this, he was never short of girlfriends, although he had few close male friends.

In the months before he killed Jodi, Luke was seeing at least two other girls, one in Perthshire and another who lived closer to his Midlothian home. None knew about his relationship with the others.

His determination to be individual and stand out from the crowd seemed to be part of the attraction.

With his distinctive goth-influenced style, he was an accepted part of the alternative crowd at St Davids, as well as in Greyfriars Kirkyard when he made regular trips into Edinburgh.

One friend, who recalled his tendency to exaggerate stories in an effort to make himself look better, said: "He did have more girlfriends than boys who were mates, probably because boys were more likely to turn against him. He felt he had a bit more control over the girls.

"He said to me once that he was in a fight with a couple of boys and said he won. He said hed taken them on himself, but I didnt believe him. It just wasnt believable."

"He had what you might call friends, but most of them didnt really like him that much. They said he was strange," h
e said.

"When I first met him, someone who had known him before I did said he was a strange guy, the way he acted and the way he dressed."

In the words of one friend, Luke always liked to be "crackpot different", determined to go the extra mile to make his appearance truly original.

A fan of underground and "nu metal" groups such as Slipknot, Lukes favourite bands were goths and punks. He adopted their look, but always with a difference.

"Goths and punks have their own fashion, but they tend to stick to it, so theyre pretty much all the same - not Luke," said the friend.

"He liked to be different and to take the goth idea further by wearing things that were even more extreme. He was always wearing dark clothes, headbands, armbands, you name it."

This individualistic style and rebellious nature was ultimately what attracted his victim to him and led to her death.

The full article contains 1308 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.

*&^^&

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2021, 09:54:11 AM »
Interesting. I had not come across any of this before.

However, is there any reason why I should automatically believe Chris Mooney and Nicola Stow, rather than Sandra Lean?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2021, 10:10:35 AM »

However, is there any reason why I should automatically believe Chris Mooney and Nicola Stow, rather than Sandra Lean?

Ben Sole - who Chris Mooney and Nicola Stow refer to in their article - was a witness at Luke Mitchell’s murder trial

Have you seen the trial transcripts?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
Ben Sole - who Chris Mooney and Nicola Stow refer to in their article - was a witness at Luke Mitchell’s murder trial

Have you seen the trial transcripts?

No, didn't realise they were in the public domain.

Is it true Ben Sole was Luke's best friend?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »

Or indeed someone who was paid for their story...the more spicy the better.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »
Or indeed someone who was paid for their story...the more spicy the better.

Does Sandra Lean omit Ben Sole’s evidence from the murder trial from her book?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
This seems to have been the sum of Mr Sole’s evidence in court.

‘Another teenager, Ben Sole, said he had witnessed Luke Mitchell cutting up cannabis resin into blocks with a knife.’

No spicy nightclub visits there.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Does Sandra Lean omit Ben Sole’s evidence from the murder trial from her book?

What was his evidence?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »
The Scotsman
Sat 13 Nov 2004
BRIAN HORNE
SCHOOLGIRL Jodi Jones smoked cannabis with the youth accused of killing her just hours before her death, a murder trial has heard.
And two days earlier, Luke Mitchell shared a joint with girlfriend Jodi, 14, in a city graveyard, the jury at the High Court in Edinburgh was told.
Mitchell, 16, denies murdering Jodi on June 30 last year in woods between the Newbattle and Easthouses areas of Dalkeith, Midlothian.
The charge alleges he constricted her neck, tied her arms and repeatedly struck her with a knife before and after she died.
The trial has also heard that Mitchell frequently carried a knife.
Alistair Leitch, 17, a sixth-year pupil at St David’s High School in Dalkeith - where Jodi and Mitchell were pupils - yesterday told the court of lunchtime cannabis-smoking sessions.
Mr Leitch said he and friends would go to "China Gardens" which he described as an alcove off King’s Park, near the school.
He said he, Mitchell and Jodi were there most lunchtimes and that Mitchell had cannabis "99.9 per cent of the time".
"Usually Luke would roll a joint and have some of it himself and pass it round other members of the group."
Mr Leitch, from Bonnyrigg, said Mitchell sometimes had quite large quantities, more than three ounces, and he told advocate depute Alan Turnbull QC, prosecuting, that an ounce would probably cost £45-£60.
Mitchell only bought cheap cannabis, the court heard.
On June 30 last year, said Mr Leitch, there had been a school trip to Alton Towers but he did not go. He met up with Mitchell and Jodi at China Gardens.
"They were smoking cannabis that day," he said.
Another member of the group, David Suttie, 16, now at Stevenson College in Edinburgh, said Mitchell always seemed to have plenty of money and he thought it was because he worked for his mum.
"Luke seemed to have a lot of money and would show it quite openly, big piles of notes, 20s and 10s," he said.
Student Ben Sole, 17, said he was in Greyfriars Kirkyard on June 28 last year and he saw Mitchell and Jodi smoking cannabis.
Keith Campbell, 14, of Woodburn, Dalkeith, who told the court he did not smoke cannabis, said Mitchell carried a knife "everywhere", even at school.
He was shown a leather pouch which would allow a knife to be carried on a belt and said he had seen Mitchell with the pouch.
He was also shown photos of a Swiss Army-type knife, a lock-knife, which Mitchell was said to use to cut up cannabis, and another thin-bladed penknife - all of which he linked to Mitchell.

This seems the sum total of Luke’s friend’s evidence. Nothing new. He smoked cannabis like most of his friends, owned a knife and had money, which his friends thought he earned through helping his mum.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
This seems to have been the sum of Mr Sole’s evidence in court.

‘Another teenager, Ben Sole, said he had witnessed Luke Mitchell cutting up cannabis resin into blocks with a knife.’

No spicy nightclub visits there.

No this is ‘the sum’ of what the journalist chose to publish

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »
The Scotsman
Sat 13 Nov 2004
BRIAN HORNE
SCHOOLGIRL Jodi Jones smoked cannabis with the youth accused of killing her just hours before her death, a murder trial has heard.
And two days earlier, Luke Mitchell shared a joint with girlfriend Jodi, 14, in a city graveyard, the jury at the High Court in Edinburgh was told.
Mitchell, 16, denies murdering Jodi on June 30 last year in woods between the Newbattle and Easthouses areas of Dalkeith, Midlothian.
The charge alleges he constricted her neck, tied her arms and repeatedly struck her with a knife before and after she died.
The trial has also heard that Mitchell frequently carried a knife.
Alistair Leitch, 17, a sixth-year pupil at St David’s High School in Dalkeith - where Jodi and Mitchell were pupils - yesterday told the court of lunchtime cannabis-smoking sessions.
Mr Leitch said he and friends would go to "China Gardens" which he described as an alcove off King’s Park, near the school.
He said he, Mitchell and Jodi were there most lunchtimes and that Mitchell had cannabis "99.9 per cent of the time".
"Usually Luke would roll a joint and have some of it himself and pass it round other members of the group."
Mr Leitch, from Bonnyrigg, said Mitchell sometimes had quite large quantities, more than three ounces, and he told advocate depute Alan Turnbull QC, prosecuting, that an ounce would probably cost £45-£60.
Mitchell only bought cheap cannabis, the court heard.
On June 30 last year, said Mr Leitch, there had been a school trip to Alton Towers but he did not go. He met up with Mitchell and Jodi at China Gardens.
"They were smoking cannabis that day," he said.
Another member of the group, David Suttie, 16, now at Stevenson College in Edinburgh, said Mitchell always seemed to have plenty of money and he thought it was because he worked for his mum.
"Luke seemed to have a lot of money and would show it quite openly, big piles of notes, 20s and 10s," he said.
Student Ben Sole, 17, said he was in Greyfriars Kirkyard on June 28 last year and he saw Mitchell and Jodi smoking cannabis.
Keith Campbell, 14, of Woodburn, Dalkeith, who told the court he did not smoke cannabis, said Mitchell carried a knife "everywhere", even at school.
He was shown a leather pouch which would allow a knife to be carried on a belt and said he had seen Mitchell with the pouch.
He was also shown photos of a Swiss Army-type knife, a lock-knife, which Mitchell was said to use to cut up cannabis, and another thin-bladed penknife - all of which he linked to Mitchell.

This seems the sum total of Luke’s friend’s evidence. Nothing new. He smoked cannabis like most of his friends, owned a knife and had money, which his friends thought he earned through helping his mum.

‘The sum total of Luke’s friends evidence’ was not been published by the media at the time

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:34 AM »
‘The sum total of Luke’s friends evidence’ was not been published by the media at the time

e said.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:36:48 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2021, 10:41:42 AM »
By CHRIS MOONEY
A FORMER girlfriend of Luke Mitchell has told how he held a knife to her throat and threatened: "Dont move . . . or Ill gut you."
Just months before he stabbed Jodi Jones to death, Mitchell grabbed the girl and pressed his prized Swiss Army knife against the frightened 14-year-olds neck.

The terrifying incident was just one example of Mitchells aggressive and unpredictable behaviour which disturbed his friends.

The pretty 14-year-old, who dated Mitchell for about five months in 2003, told how the teenage killer pounced on her in a community hall in the Dalkeith area.

The girl - who asked to remain anonymous - was walking alone through the hall, where the pair attended a youth club together, when he grabbed her from behind. He held the knife to her throat as he dragged her into a side room.

"I didnt know if he was joking around or not to begin with," she said. "He said: Dont move or Ill gut you. At first I thought he was just mucking about, but then I started to feel threatened.

"I was sore round my neck, it was bright red afterwards. He had grabbed me round the neck with his arm and held the knife at my throat, saying he was going to cut me and stuff like that.

"I was nipping his arm to get him off me and after a couple of minutes he let me go. I went outside and just tried to ignore him, but then he came out as if it was all a laugh and said sorry.

"There was no reason for him to do it. He just pulled the knife from his pocket and grabbed me. I thought it was really strange."

Soon after the incident, in May, 2003, the girl ended the fledgling relationship - just a month before Mitchell killed Jodi.

She broke things off after increasingly seeing a darker side to his personality. The final straw came when a friend told her Mitchell was seeing another girl - who she is now sure was Jodi.

It now appears Mitchell was seeing at least three different girls at the same time. The murder trial jury heard that the teenage killer had also been seeing Kim Thomson, a 15-year-old from Kenmore, Perthshire, who looked strikingly like Jodi.

Mitchell had stayed in touch with Kim, who considered him as her boyfriend, after meeting her on holiday in the summer of 2002.

The ex-girlfriend who Mitchell threatened with a knife told the Evening News she had initially found him charming, attractive and "basically a nice bloke".

The pair were both 14 and went to the same youth club.

"When I first saw him, everybody in the room was chatting and we started talking - asking whats your name? and that sort of thing," she said.

"We got each others phone numbers and started texting each other quite a lot. He was good-looking and I liked talking to him. I thought he was really nice."

The teenager followed the same goth-style fashion as Mitchell at the time, but shrugged it off as a fad and changed her image as she got older. She said they had got on well for a while, but then things had started to change.

"
He sometimes showed a side that wasnt him. He was quite aggressive to me and to other people," she added.

"He was really bad-tempered and he was totally unpredictable. He didnt want to be told what to do. I knew he carried weapons with him and he had a Swiss Army knife. I did wonder why he had it, but I never questioned him at all."

The ex-girlfriend said shed had little contact with Mitchell since they broke up, but that he had threatened her friends when he saw them in the street.

She added: "When I heard he was a suspect I knew he must have been going out with Jodi when he was seeing me.

"I was really upset when I heard what he was supposed to have done.

"At first, I never thought he could have done it. But, as all the stuff started to come together, I started to think it was possible, that he could do this, because of the way he acted and what hed done to me."

The full article contains 759 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.
Last Updated: 21 January 2005 2:52 PM

Luke Mitchell was also ‘going out with’ Kim T