Author Topic: Cats and Dogs  (Read 105152 times)

Cariad

Re: Cats and Dogs
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
We have always had cats on the farm, too many at times but over the last few years their numbers decreased to the point where we offered a home to several cats which had arrived at the local cat rescue.  Last year I was on the look out for a black and white cat and so got my eye on one but it was feral. We have never had feral cats on the farm so this was a challenge.  When I got her home I put her in a large barn but she dug her way out gouging a hole under a door. She actually scratched concrete away to get out.  I never saw her again for two weeks, I assumed she had scampered. When she did appear she spent the next 6 months getting closer to the house. All I could do was to leave food out for her. Eventually I was getting closer to her and could almost touch her at feeding time. Once I actually picked her up but she nearly took my finger off.

The turning point came a few weeks later when I found her lying in the garden one morning obviously injured and in pain, she had been run over. Had she gone off and hid as cats do she would have perished but she had the good sense to look for help.  I put her in the cat travel box and took her to the vet where she had surgery for a broken back leg.  It was touch and go and the vet had to put a pin in the leg joint. She spent two weeks in a wire box at the clinic and when she came back spent 4 weeks in the house.  She is a completely changed cat now but still very nervous.  She will jump up and sit on my knee now no problem.  She does not associate with the other cats though.

Feral cats can be domesticated but they are hard work.  I will post a photo of her later.

Naughty TESSA, some weeks after the operation to save her leg.

What a lovely story and a beautiful cat!

I used to foster kittens for a cat charity. If they were over 12/14 weeks they were usually considered un tameable. I had one who bit me so hard she made it through my thumb nail! She's the only kitten that I couldn't rehome. She was destined for a life as a mouser on a farm but I asked for one more go with her. 10 years later she's still here.

She hates most people and will run from my husband and 2 sons, but she seeks me out for cwtches and love. 

Offline John

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
I couldn't resist this caption having seen it earlier on the dogs thread.

Tim and his mut parachutes in.   @)(++(*
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:38:37 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »
I've just bought a French Bulldog Puppy.

Not going to lie, 3 weeks in - he has me in love with him.

Offline Myster

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »

... and after 3 years in just think about how much pee & poo you'll have cleaned up, and the vet's lamborghini you've helped to pay for! 8(8-))
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline puglove

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »

Oh Mat!! I bet he's scrumptious!! I'd love a Frenchie, they're a cracking dog. How do you get Toby to leave him and go to school??!!
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
... and after 3 years in just think about how much pee & poo you'll have cleaned up, and the vet's lamborghini you've helped to pay for! 8(8-))

Oh, I know.  8(8-))

Oh Mat!! I bet he's scrumptious!! I'd love a Frenchie, they're a cracking dog. How do you get Toby to leave him and go to school??!!

It was love at first site. They are now best friends forever.

Offline sika

« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
Hi Mat, any chance of a picture?

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
I will sort one out for tomorrow! :)

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Cute pup or, as my dogs would call him, amuse bouche!  8)-)))

Offline sika

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
That's it! I want one!!

My 8 year old desperately wants a husky though!

Offline Anna

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
What a gorgeous dog .......I love all dogs.

Husky is also a beauty. We used to enjoy the husky races in Aviemore.

A relative who lived with us for a while, left his dog here, when he was transferred to another area, with his Job, He is a well behaved and intelligent dog, now 3 years old, but I am afraid of getting too attached to him, and having to give him up. He's a Labradoodle ((big)
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline puglove

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
He's perfect, Mat!! What have you called him?
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
I can feel nothing for pets.  I just them as being dirty smelly creatures.  Is there something wrong with me?  I am a bit OCD in terms of cleanliness and tidiness. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
Hes called Charlie. :)