Author Topic: Irish teen Nóra Quoirin (15) disappears while on holiday in Malaysia.  (Read 60561 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Irish teen Nóra Quoirin (15) disappears while on holiday in Malaysia.
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2020, 08:07:11 AM »
You yourself said there's 30 minutes of twilight before dawn, did you not?

Are you taking that back now?
I was erring on the generous side possibly.  It is a much shorter interval than you are used to in Britain certainly.  It certainly wouldn’t be light that would wake up a jetlagged teenager.  When I used to go home from the UK I would sleep until after lunch on my first day back.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:09:48 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline The General

« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
I lived there for years but thanks for the insight.  I doubt a six house eco resort in the middle of the jungle was lit up like Vegas in the middle of the night, silly observation imo.
I don't know much about this case, alas, but isn't it on a complex of some sort?

....just had a look on Google Maps....you're right. Dual carriageway, no street lighting - then dense jungle / undulating terrain for miles in all directions. Probably not lit very well at all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:26:56 AM by The General »
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2020, 08:25:50 AM »
I don't know much about this case, alas, but isn't it on a complex of some sort?
Before you make any further comment I suggest you google Dusun Resort.  All will be revealed.  It’s unlikeness to Las Vegas will also become apparent.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
It is purely a commercial venture, it exists for no other reason that I can see.

What I meant was that it's no big commercial holiday provider. The parents own the land, but their children own some of the houses. No-one's getting rich in my opinion.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
What I meant was that it's no big commercial holiday provider. The parents own the land, but their children own some of the houses. No-one's getting rich in my opinion.
No one claimed they were.  The amount of damages being sought is in proportion, compared, say with the £43 million that Ikea has just coughed up because one of its chest of drawers fell on a child causing death.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »

Presumably they will be insured but as I've said I think the action is aimed at getting people into court and getting questions answered

Offline The General

« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
Presumably they will be insured but as I've said I think the action is aimed at getting people into court and getting questions answered
Yeh but premiums. Fatality. Fuggedaboutit.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »

Suing is about blame and compensation. The questions arising are whether the owners of the compound were negligent by having a broken window catch, a poorly maintained fence, an open gate, no guards and no CCTV.

Whether Nora left under her own steam or was taken by someone else, it's true that the above measures may have prevented her from going or offered clues as to how she left.

The question is whether it was reasonable to expect those things to be provided in that compound and in that country. I think it will be difficult to sustain except possibly in relation to the window lock.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
Suing is about blame and compensation. The questions arising are whether the owners of the compound were negligent by having a broken window catch, a poorly maintained fence, an open gate, no guards and no CCTV.

Whether Nora left under her own steam or was taken by someone else, it's true that the above measures may have prevented her from going or offered clues as to how she left.

The question is whether it was reasonable to expect those things to be provided in that compound and in that country. I think it will be difficult to sustain except possibly in relation to the window lock.
I think the owners of this resort are/were supremely naive in thinking that the houses were completely secure for tourists to stay in, being as they are completely open plan, and open to the outside world with no shutters on the verandahs, etc.  It was only a matter of time before there was a burglary or worse.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

Suing is not always about compensation..... In this case I think the driving force is to get answers to questions.
The parents said there were a lot of unanswered questions and this is a way of getting some answers

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »
Suing is not always about compensation..... In this case I think the driving force is to get answers to questions.
The parents said there were a lot of unanswered questions and this is a way of getting some answers

The fact of the matter is that suing is about blaming someone for something. If it's successful then the person is punished both reputationally and financially. It's not something that should be used for another purpose.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
The fact of the matter is that suing is about blaming someone for something. If it's successful then the person is punished both reputationally and financially. It's not something that should be used for another purpose.
In your opinion... I think its perfectly valid when they feel the police haven't given the answers they want. It's a perfectly valid way of forcing the issue imo

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
I think the owners of this resort are/were supremely naive in thinking that the houses were completely secure for tourists to stay in, being as they are completely open plan, and open to the outside world with no shutters on the verandahs, etc.  It was only a matter of time before there was a burglary or worse.

It's perfectly clear before booking what the resort is like. In my opinion it would be completely unrealistic for anyone expecting guards and CCTV to book a stay there. 

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
It's perfectly clear before booking what the resort is like. In my opinion it would be completely unrealistic for anyone expecting guards and CCTV to book a stay there.
It's perfectly reasonable to expect your property and family to be safe and secure in a holiday resort of any description when paying that sort of money.  Night watchmen should have been a given, they are quite common in Malaysia.  Secure gates into the resort and high perimeter fencing is also not out of the question.  IMO. 

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
It's perfectly reasonable to expect your property and family to be safe and secure in a holiday resort of any description when paying that sort of money.  Night watchmen should have been a given, they are quite common in Malaysia.  Secure gates into the resort and high perimeter fencing is also not out of the question.  IMO.

Where do you holiday?   (&^&
What's up, old man?