Alleged Miscarriages of Justice > Mark Alexander was in September 2010 convicted of the murder of his elderly reclusive father Samuel (70), an Egyptian-born former University lecturer.

Witness Statement

(1/3) > >>

Daisy:
AW was a prosecution witness. When she made her first statement to the police on 7th February 2010, she quite clearly recalled seeing us on 1st October 2009.

“On 30th September 2009 I went to a residential course in Coventry. At around
   15:30 on 1st October 2009 I travelled home with my colleague. I had to walk past
   Sami’s house. It was a nice sunny day. I saw Sam and Mark at the rear of the
   house. They seemed fine, they were working together. We had a bit of a joke
   about my sunglasses.”

Six weeks later, on 18th March 2010 she was asked to ‘reconsider’ her account by uniformed officers, clearly because it didn’t suit the narrative they were constructing. Two of her neighbours were ex-policemen who retained contacts within Thames Valley police and who had themselves referred the case for investigation. AW changed her statement as a result.  When examined on this point at trial she admitted that she wouldn’t have reconsidered the date at all had it not been for their request. She felt that her initial statement was probably more accurate.

It was sunny on both of the days she mentions in her statements, 1st October being an unusually warm day for that time of year according to Met Office reports. I’ve attached copies of the two accounts so you can judge for yourselves (names have been removed to protect the identity of those involved). In the police schedule of non-material statements, we’ve spotted possible further sightings of dad which we’ve requested copies of.  So far, the police have refused to disclose them to us.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John:
Daisy, I have removed attachment Scan 2 as it was a duplicate of Scan 1 so not required.

It is unfortunate that the witness cannot be more specific as to which of the two days she saw Mark and Sami in the back garden.  I would have thought that by checking Marks whereabouts for both dates there was a good chance the correct date the witness saw them could be established ie the 27th August or the 1st October.  Mark should be able to establish from his own records where he was on those two dates.

mrswah:
If Mark can establish where he was on both dates, but cannot actually prove it, is he necessarily going to be believed??

Miss Taken Identity:

--- Quote from: mrswah on February 05, 2017, 12:08:31 PM ---If Mark can establish where he was on both dates, but cannot actually prove it, is he necessarily going to be believed??

--- End quote ---

Good Point. I know what I was doing that day, I can't prove it!

John:
It's amazing what one can recall when one looks at bank statements etc.  Fuel receipts, nights out, visits to shops etc all provide a trail and some insight into what one was doing on a particular day.  Also computer records, e-mails etc can be a good source of information.

Did Samuel or Mark keep a diary per chance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version