Author Topic: Would you buy a virus test kit?  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Admin

Re: Would you buy a virus test kit?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
The way I look at it is this. If you test then you will at least know if you have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus and if so stay at home. The problem at the moment is that there are spreaders walking around completely unaware that they are spreading the disease to others.

The test identifies the body’s response to coronavirus 3-7 days after infection, and gives a qualitative yes/no result within 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:46:35 AM by Admin »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
Hmmm, not necessarily. There's not enough evidence at the moment to work out how long immunity may last for this virus. Some experts put the lower limit at between a few weeks to a few months.

Are you sure about that...how expert are these experts

Online Eleanor

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
The way I look at it is this. If you test then you will at least know if you have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus and if so stay at home. The problem at the moment is that there are spreaders walking around completely unaware that they are spreading the disease to others.

The test identifies the body’s response to coronavirus 3-7 days after infection, and gives a qualitative yes/no result within 10 minutes.

The problem here is that most people only want to know if they have got it.  Not too many people care if they might give it to someone else.  This is a secondary consideration, although most would probably rather not.

I am staying at home because I don't want to catch it.  And of course, being in the high risk group of actual Death.  And by Law in France, I am doing as I am told.  But there isn't much ultruism  in my soul at the moment.

If I get it then I will know almost immediately.  At which point My son will inform The Authorities.  Because I don't want to die just yet, and nor does he.

What everyone seems to be ignoring is that this is a selfish Virus and can only be ultimately dealt with By Law if the common herd refuse to comply, because for some weird reason they think that they won't get it.  And don't care if they give it to me.

It will pass.  These things always do.  It is Age, you see.  They will never get old because they never see it coming.  But then I can still remember a time when I thought that I was invincible.

Offline John

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »
The problem here is that most people only want to know if they have got it.  Not too many people care if they might give it to someone else.  This is a secondary consideration, although most would probably rather not.

I am staying at home because I don't want to catch it.  And of course, being in the high risk group of actual Death.  And by Law in France, I am doing as I am told.  But there isn't much ultruism  in my soul at the moment.

If I get it then I will know almost immediately.  At which point My son will inform The Authorities.  Because I don't want to die just yet, and nor does he.

What everyone seems to be ignoring is that this is a selfish Virus and can only be ultimately dealt with By Law if the common herd refuse to comply, because for some weird reason they think that they won't get it.  And don't care if they give it to me.

It will pass.  These things always do.  It is Age, you see.  They will never get old because they never see it coming.  But then I can still remember a time when I thought that I was invincible.

Well said Eleanor.  We are also self isolating at the moment simply because my wife is in the severely at risk category.  Young people have been exhibiting a worrying indifference to this disease, they simply cannot understand the fears of the older generations.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 01:37:17 PM »
Well said Eleanor.  We are also self isolating at the moment simply because my wife is in the severely at risk category.  Young people have been exhibiting a worrying indifference to this disease, they simply cannot understand the fears of the older generations.

I'm afraid young people don't understand the risk they are posing to themselves...they are not dying because they respond to treatment... treatment that may require intensive care. When the respirators run out they will be dying too

Offline John

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »
I'm afraid young people don't understand the risk they are posing to themselves...they are not dying because they respond to treatment... treatment that may require intensive care. When the respirators run out they will be dying too

The UK is closely mirroring Italy in numbers of deaths but we are two weeks behind. If the current trend continues we can expect upwards of 5,000 deaths over the next fortnight. Most worrying however is the fact that the UK's current statistical trend is becoming greater than even Italys.

People are well advised to stay at home and not mix with others for the next few weeks at least.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:43:26 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »

It is a bit more serious than that, John.  Some of this younger generation actually don't care.  They think that The World is theirs.

We could be looking at Genocide if they had their way.  I might be a bit more afraid of that than Coronavirus.

Coronavirus is just a means to an end to them.  Kill off The Old by not treating them.

What they haven't yet sussed is that it is coming for them also.

Offline Carana

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »

John, I've posted some of the most reliable advice I've found so far, with caveats as it's new and expert advice is sometimes conflicting at the moment.

Politics / economy/ egos got in the way of taking this seriously in some countries. And / or some, due to other priorities, have found themselves faced with a sudden situation without taking heed of emerging facts.

Bottom line:

- Self-isolate as much as possible. Keep at least 1m-2 m from anyone else, including at home. Sub-points on this to come.

- Wash your hands as if you were going to do open-heart surgery with soap and water for 20 seconds. I've posted a clip on how medical staff do this. It's important. I'm following WHO-approved formula to disinfect hands when I've touched something, but can't immediately wash my hands. Sub-points on this to come.

- If there are several in a household - you all need to follow the same rules.

- Don't panic: just take it seriously.

- Every day, take time to appreciate your loved ones and find something to laugh about.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
Hmmm, not necessarily. There's not enough evidence at the moment to work out how long immunity may last for this virus. Some experts put the lower limit at between a few weeks to a few months.
Now that is a scary thought.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Chris_Halkides

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »
A company called BioMedomics in the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina in the United States has developed a lateral diffusion assay for antibodies against the coronavirus.  It was mentioned in The Economist, p. 67.  I would be interested in buying such a test.

Offline Carana

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 12:41:29 AM »
A company called BioMedomics in the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina in the United States has developed a lateral diffusion assay for antibodies against the coronavirus.  It was mentioned in The Economist, p. 67.  I would be interested in buying such a test.

What's a lateral diffusion assay?

Offline Chris_Halkides

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 01:55:07 AM »
It looks a good deal like a home pregnancy test kit.  The lateral diffusion part just means that the solution you add travels through something that looks like a wick.  If you see just one line at the control position, the result is negative, two or more lines is positive.  The lines are from gold nanoparticles that have been attached to one of the molecules in the test kit.

https://www.biomedomics.com/products/infectious-disease/covid-19-rt/

Offline Carana

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 02:26:39 AM »
It looks a good deal like a home pregnancy test kit.  The lateral diffusion part just means that the solution you add travels through something that looks like a wick.  If you see just one line at the control position, the result is negative, two or more lines is positive.  The lines are from gold nanoparticles that have been attached to one of the molecules in the test kit.

https://www.biomedomics.com/products/infectious-disease/covid-19-rt/

Ok, thanks.

There's another (I've forgotten where I read it now) that also checks for other viruses / conditions to rule them out. But that might be for labs.

Just read the blurb. Not suitable for home testing.

and
While our FDA EUA application is under review, please note the following information:

This test has not been reviewed by FDA
    Negative results do not rule out SARS-CoV-2 infection, particularly in those who have been in contact with the virus. Follow-up testing with a molecular diagnostic should be considered to rule out infection in these individuals.
    Results from antibody testing should not be used as the sole basis to diagnose or exclude SARS-CoV-2 infection or to inform infection status.
    Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E.

Sounds a bit vague at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:31:13 AM by Carana »