Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 167626 times)

Offline Nicholas

Barry George revisited.
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
Whilst Barry George's "odd" behaviour may not make him a murderer, doubts still remain.

Investigative journalist Mark Williams Thomas looked again at the the case and presented his findings which appeared to point away from George. But how do any of us know whether he had been influenced in any way by his bias?

Barry George is not innocent enough for compensation!

High Court judges ruled “There was indeed a case upon which a reasonable jury, properly directed, could have convicted the claimant of murder."

To what evidence were the judges referring?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:46:54 AM by John »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
Barry George's uncle has written a book about his nephew and has stated he felt bitter for a long time after George was released from prison. He talks of how he and fellow supporters were ultimately dumped by George; even though he'd put in years of campaigning?

He also makes a statement regarding a comment Barry George made after watching some film on TV about a murder.

His book is an eye opener and IMO paints a very different story to the one his sister Michelle Bates has portrayed. Especially given the fact she always alluded to me she had kept out of all the feuds?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=barry+george+mappa&source=bl&ots=Osv57MD-fI&sig=t2RQTED03Q5wPp3fZSSWGXI5PAk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixl8LMh5XaAhXqKsAKHfBfDZM4ChDoATAKegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=barry%20george%20mappa&f=false

He concludes his book with:

"God is in the detail if one digs deep enough"

My own opinion on this case is; if one digs deep enough into the facts, all isn't as it appears.

Barry George is most definitely not as odd or indeed dumb as his family want us to believe IMO. I'm with the prosecution on this. Expert opinion is just that. George has spent convictions for attempted rape and indecent assault and is still deemed a risk to the public. Are we to ignore these facts because his murder conviction was overturned on a technicality?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:43:22 AM by Stephanie »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »
Barry George's uncle has written a book about his nephew and has stated he felt bitter for a long time after George was released from prison. He talks of how he and fellow supporters were ultimately dumped by George; even though he'd put in years of campaigning?

He also makes a statement regarding a comment Barry George made after watching some film on TV about a murder.

His book is an eye opener and IMO paints a very different story to the one his sister Michelle Bates has portrayed. Especially given the fact she always alluded to me she had kept out of all the feuds?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=barry+george+mappa&source=bl&ots=Osv57MD-fI&sig=t2RQTED03Q5wPp3fZSSWGXI5PAk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixl8LMh5XaAhXqKsAKHfBfDZM4ChDoATAKegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=barry%20george%20mappa&f=false

He concludes his book with:

"God is in the detail if one digs deep enough"

My own opinion on this case is; if one digs deep enough into the facts, all isn't as it appears.

Barry George is most definitely not as odd or indeed dumb as his family want us to believe IMO. I'm with the prosecution on this. Expert opinion is just that. George has spent convictions for attempted rape and indecent assault and is still deemed a risk to the public. Are we to ignore these facts because his murder conviction was overturned on a technicality?

All a bit too convoluted for me, Stephanie.  He was eventually acquitted of this particular crime because the evidence was deemed to be flawed.

He should at least have been given some compensation for the fact that The Prosecution offered flawed evidence.  If you can't trust The Prosecution then where does that leave Justice?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
All a bit too convoluted for me, Stephanie.  He was eventually acquitted of this particular crime because the evidence was deemed to be flawed.

He should at least have been given some compensation for the fact that The Prosecution offered flawed evidence.  If you can't trust The Prosecution then where does that leave Justice?

Yes I agree. The law can be extremely complex and difficult to follow, especially so in cases like Barry George, but it's why cases like this are tested on their own merits.

In the Supreme Court ruling, Lord Phillips, the then president, said the "mere quashing" of a conviction could not be a "trigger for compensation".

He said the new "test" would not guarantee that all those entitled to compensation were innocent. But those who could not prove their innocence beyond reasonable doubt would not be "precluded" from obtaining compensation.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:13:57 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:15:09 PM »

What is your understanding of the evidence in this case?

Barry George has yet to show conclusively that he is innocent of the crime he was originally convicted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356120
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:25:25 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
My brother, who was wrongly convicted of the murder of TV presenter, Jill Dando, has never been awarded any compensation for the years he spent incarcerated for this killing. His conviction was quashed in 2007, and he was then released in 2008, when the jury at his second trial unanimously found him not guilty. Since then, we have tried every avenue we could think of to get this government to correct the wrong, and to make recompense for all that he has lost.’
Michelle Bates

http://www.thejusticegap.com/2015/12/2015-a-year-in-the-justice-gap/

Maybe it's finally time for Michelle Bates to be transparent in order to convince those of us who believe him to not be innocent enough.

And maybe she would be open and honest enough to publicise the total sum of money her brother accrued since his conviction was over turned?

All I'm witnessing is greed; which has nothing to do with truth or justice.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »

In so far as I understand The Law, Reasonable Doubt lies with the Accused.  It is not for the Accused to prove Innocence, but for The Prosecution to prove Guilt.  This they obviously didn't do.
This is what Innocent until Proven Guilty means.

You cannot say that someone isn't innocent enough just because you don't like him.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
My brother, who was wrongly convicted of the murder of TV presenter, Jill Dando, has never been awarded any compensation for the years he spent incarcerated for this killing. His conviction was quashed in 2007, and he was then released in 2008, when the jury at his second trial unanimously found him not guilty. Since then, we have tried every avenue we could think of to get this government to correct the wrong, and to make recompense for all that he has lost.’
Michelle Bates

http://www.thejusticegap.com/2015/12/2015-a-year-in-the-justice-gap/

Maybe it's finally time for Michelle Bates to be transparent in order to convince those of us who believe him to not be innocent enough.

And maybe she would be open and honest enough to publicise the total sum of money her brother accrued since his conviction was over turned?

All I'm witnessing is greed; which has nothing to do with truth or justice.

You try being locked up for eight years for a crime that you didn't commit, during which you had no recourse to earning anything.
Hardly Greed.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
In so far as I understand The Law, Reasonable Doubt lies with the Accused.  It is not for the Accused to prove Innocence, but for The Prosecution to prove Guilt.  This they obviously didn't do.

You cannot say that someone isn't innocent enough just because you don't like him.

But who's telling the truth Eleanor?

Barry George https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZjv5xAQmc

Or the crown prosecution?

I don't for one minute believe the CPS went after George because they didn't like him - they wouldn't get away with that surely?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
You try being locked up for eight years for a crime that you didn't commit, during which you had no recourse to earning anything.
Hardly Greed.

But how do any of us know for sure he didn't do it? We are referring to a man with previous convictions for attempted rape and indecent assault. Has he been rehabilitated? The facts he's still under MAPPA would suggest not?

And how much was earning before he was locked up?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
But who's telling the truth Eleanor?

Barry George https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZjv5xAQmc

Or the crown prosecution?

I don't for one minute believe the CPS went after George because they didn't like him - they wouldn't get away with that surely?

But they didn't get away with it, did they.  That is the point.  But he spent a long time in prison during the process.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »

Barry George was wrongly convicted which is not the same as a miscarriage of justice, as I understand it

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/may/11/barry-george-compensated-supreme-court
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:53:03 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
Barry George was wrongly convicted which is not the same as a miscarriage of justice, as I understand it

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/may/11/barry-george-compensated-supreme-court

Why bother with Trials?

It is no longer a Miscarriage of Justice because he has been Acquitted.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
But they didn't get away with it, did they.  That is the point.  But he spent a long time in prison during the process.

Are you claiming the police initially went after George because they didn't like him?

"Jonathan Laidlaw QC, prosecuting, said Dando's death had been the result of the actions of "a loner, a man acting alone with no rational motive to kill".

He said George, 48, had a history of complex medical problems and had told police he had a "personality disorder".

"He had a fixation with the famous and with celebrities," the prosecutor said. "For many years, he lived out the fantasy by calling himself after, and adopting the names of, various entertainers."

George changed his name twice by deed poll, once to Paul Gadd, the real name of the singer Gary Glitter, and then to Steve Majors, an amalgamation of Steve Austin, the protagonist of the TV programme The Six Million Dollar Man, and Lee Majors, the actor who played the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/jun/09/ukcrime
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:04:38 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
Why bother with Trials?

It is no longer a Miscarriage of Justice because he has been Acquitted.

You appear to have missed this https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/may/11/barry-george-compensated-supreme-court