Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 167581 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »

You cannot say that someone isn't innocent enough just because you don't like him.

Until proven otherwise, I firmly believe the Barry George campaign to be a total farce just like Simon Hall’s turned out to be!
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
“There is a risk that the objectivity and impartiality of forensic science experts is being undermined by cognitive bias, according to new guidance from the Forensic Science Regulator Dr Gill Tully (pictured). This raises important issues for both prosecutors and defence practitioners.
Cognitive bias – subconscious personal bias – has been seen as a potential issue within criminal justice systems since the 1970s. But it is now being red-flagged after some high-profile cases, including false-positive fingerprint identifications, brought the issue into sharp relief.
Countering the risks has significant consequences for the way experts work with the police and prosecutors. It also opens up potential challenges for defence practitioners, who have been criticised in the past for not challenging expert evidence robustly enough.
The guidance, published as an appendix to the regulator’s codes of practice and conduct, sets out examples of good practice in specific subject areas associated with forensic science examina- tions at crime scenes and within laboratories.
Cognitive bias can take many forms, including confirmation bias, whereby people test hypoth- eses by looking for confirming evidence rather than for potentially conflicting evidence. There are also ‘role effects’, where scientists identify themselves as part of either the prosecution or defence teams.
The ‘most powerful means of safeguarding’ against that, the guidance says, is to ensure that the practitioner conducting the analysis only has information about the case that is relevant to the analysis.
However, it accepts that case assessment, targeting and interpretation may be hampered without relevant information. And it warns that risks are higher when practitioners are inexperi- enced, unmonitored and left to adopt their own approach, and when checking is less rigorous and/or conducted collaboratively.
The leading expert in cognitive bias, Dr Itiel Dror, senior cognitive neuroscience researcher at UCL, has held workshops for senior judges, while laboratories and police forces are starting to provide their forensic examiners with cogni- tive training.
He stresses that this is not an ethical issue – ‘experts are not letting this happen intentionally’ – but they must try to minimise the risk of cognitive contamination as they do physical contamination. ‘By telling an expert there is a suspect, for instance, the expert then works from the suspect to the evidence and not from the evidence to the suspect,
’hetoldtherecentBondSolonexpert witness conference.
However, he said lawyers like to give informa- tion to experts. ‘To be honest, they don’t want your opinion, they are building a case and they want to recruit you,’ he said.
‘I did a case where the lawyers wanted me to get involved. I explained why I didn’t want the information but they forgot accidentally and sent me irrelevant information. I didn’t need to know the details of the rape or that the person had been charged before. I am not accusing them of intentionally trying to manipulate me but, regardless, they contaminated me.’
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/download?ac=15591

Barry George’s legal team clearly recruited their medical experts to help portray George the way they did. I’m not convinced by anything I’ve read to suggest George incapable of murder because these experts would have quite obviously been contaminated by confirmation bias. There was nothing in place to ensure this didn’t happen. And what’s the betting the CCRC’s brief to these so called experts proves this to be so.

Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
Several of my earlier posts on this thread have been removed and/or edited however it’s clear to me now as it was back then that lessons have not been learned following the unravelling of Simon Hall’s factual guilt for the murder of Joan Albert.

Excerpt taken from Forward by Dr Michael Naughton - Stand Against Injustice by Michelle Diskin Bates
“In terms of the comprehensive chronology of Barry George’s wrongful conviction, it provides a rare insight into the workings of the criminal justice system that lays bare how its operating notion of “justice” jars with the widely held belief (myth) that the core function of the criminal justice system is to protect the public from the harm of acts labelled crime, by convicting the factually guilty (i.e. those who actually committed the offence), whilst guarding against the wrongful conviction of the factually innocent (i.e. ensuring that those who did not commit the offence are not convicted).

The only person who knows whether or not Barry George is factually innocent is Barry George! As I see it, given his history there’s no reason to suggest him incapable of murder.

This thread, along with Michelle Diskin Bates book should be re-titled “The Emancipation of Barry George!

She claims in her book Barry has never really been free and I’m inclined to agree but for differing reasons.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:22:59 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
Barry George’s legal team clearly recruited their medical experts to help portray George the way they did. I’m not convinced by anything I’ve read to suggest George incapable of murder because these experts would have quite obviously been contaminated by confirmation bias. There was nothing in place to ensure this didn’t happen. And what’s the betting the CCRC’s brief to these so called experts proves this to be so.

November 01, 2015
Cognitive Bias and Its Impact on Expert Witnesses and the Court
By Itiel E. Dror, Justice Bridget M. McCormack, and Jules Epstein

Disclaimer: This article reflects the position of the authors and does not reflect or represent any government office, agency or other institution.

“Courts rely on expert witnesses and mostly assume that they provide impartial and objective evidence. Yet cognitive science shows that even the most dedicated and committed experts are influenced, without even realizing it, by factors unrelated to the data relevant to form their expert conclusion. For example, it has been demonstrated that experts’ conclusions on whether crime scene evidence was left by a specific person were influenced by whether they were told that the suspect confessed or, alternatively, that the suspect could not have committed the crime because of a rock-solid alibi. Because juries and judges often depend on reports and testimony from experts it is important to understand the limits and potential vulnerabilities of those witnesses. At the same time it is critical to find ways to increase and improve the contribution experts make to the fact-finding process.

“One set of concerns relates to experts who may overstate the evidence. This can occur for two main reasons: First, experts may be over confident and overestimate their own abilities. This results from meta-cognition: The ability to ‘know what you know and know what you do not know’ – which is an area that humans are not especially good at. Second, although experts share an understanding that it is their duty to be independent and uninfluenced by the exigencies of litigation, and to be objective and unbiased, experts are most often recruited by one side of the adversarial system, and work within the team and objectives of that side. This places many experts in a non-neutral environment and posture, and can subconsciously influence their perception and judgments.

Another set of concerns is that in most domains expert evidence is simply not purely objective and scientific. For example, the domain may not have sufficiently detailed methodologies and objective quantification instrumentation. Therefore most “expert” evidence relies on interpretation and judgment, and includes subjective elements.
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/judicial/publications/judges_journal/2015/fall/cognitive_bias_and_its_impact_on_expert_witnesses_and_the_court/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:31:10 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
Alison Hoad encountered George in 1997 when he offered to show her the way to audition premises where she was taking her young son.

On the way he said he had been to court to sort out the will of Freddie Mercury, she said.

"He talked at length about things he had done with Freddie Mercury. He described parties he had been to with him. He said he ran the Queen fan club."

Mrs Hoad said he offered to show her the club offices which he said were nearby, the court was told. Mrs Hoad declined.

As they walked up Munster Avenue in Fulham - near where Miss Dando lived - "he said he had a friend who lived in one of the roads, a very special lady. He intimated she was well-known."

Mrs Hoad said she thought he was inviting questions, but because she felt uncomfortable in his presence she did not pursue it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-46575/Dando-accused-said-hed-help-police-solve-murder.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:25:59 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
Team Barry 2008 by Mike Bourke, Uncle of Barry George - taken from “Mike’s Story the battle to clear Barry George of the Jill Dando murder https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikes-Story-Battle-George-murder/dp/1907163441

“Jill Dando was one of their own, and it would be naïve for anybody to think that the media would ever forgive Barry for the crime, which he had been charged, convicted, and ultimately cleared of, unless perhaps the real killer was identified as in the Rachel Nickell case. If some of Barry’s supporters expected a sympathetic reaction from them then they were sadly mistaken, and the immediate selling of his story to News International to the exclusion of others would not have helped matters. On Saturday August 2nd the Daily Mail reported that a ‘police source’ claimed that Alan Farthing and the Dando family wanted the murder case to remain closed. I thought that a little puzzling, if true. Barry’s 1982 victim’s story was again published, 26 years after the event, for which Barry paid the price handed down by the courts. The Telegraph claimed that a feud had erupted between Barry’s supporters and Scotland Yard. William Clegg QC accused the police of ‘closing their minds’ to other suspects. He said the police and CPS needed to keep an open mind. ‘I think they did close their minds after the arrest of Barry George, yes’. Detectives were reported to be livid at the criticism. A Scotland Yard source said it was to be expected that people connected with George were now coming out to attack the police. Commander Simon Foy, head of the Met’s Homicide Command said ‘We are disappointed by today’s verdict… however we respect the verdict of the court’. I was quoted as saying that Barry would be like a fish out of water if he were to live in Ireland, and that he would not return to Fulham. Some East Acton neighbours said that they would be happy if he were to live with his mother there. I do not agree that there is a feud with the police but I do believe that they missed something vital in the early days of the investigation. They may have placed too much reliance on the computer HOLMES rather then spending a little more time at the crime scene interviewing witnesses, preserving evidence, following up leads and kicking down doors without undue delay. I would call that constructive criticism. It was pointed out by John McVicar that under Scottish law the jury would have had the option of a ‘not proven’ verdict. ‘Not Proven’ is basically an acquittal and was described in 1824 by novelist and Sheriff Sir Walter Scott as ‘That b........ verdict, not proven’. I feel it was a little mean of McVicar to try and muddy the waters with such tripe, which has no relevance in English law. Barry was found Not Guilty. What could be clearer? In the afternoon I met Scott for the last time in Victoria where we had an afternoon drink in the Shakespeare pub. At about 15.00 Michelle phoned me from the hotel saying that they had just finished the interviews and asked me what I was doing. I said I was with Scott but we could not talk further as the line went dead. At about 22.00 she again phoned me and asked if I knew that Scott had written an article for the Sunday Mirror. I explained that Scott was a writer and so it was to be expected that he might write something as he was also outside the Old Bailey when she and MOJO were speaking to the media. She said that Barry could lose money as a result and in the background I could hear him speaking quietly. But nobody had requested that I or Scott should remain silent. I later heard that there was consternation at the News of the World when it was realised that the Sunday Mirror was running a Barry George story ahead of their ‘World Exclusive’. I had to laugh at that remembering the Clonakilty affair of July 2001. It wasn’t revenge but it felt sweet nonetheless. On Sunday morning I was listening to the radio and heard that just a few weeks prior to Jill Dando’s death her agent Jon Roseman had finished writing a novel about a showbusiness agent whose male clients are murdered causing the agent to turn detective. The police interviewed Jon and the book titled GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS was never published. I thought that was one weird story, stranger than fiction. I went to a café with a couple of friends for breakfast, and bought a few newspapers. The headlines hit me like a slap in the face. The News of the World article was prefaced with the warnings, OUR LAWYERS ARE WATCHING’. They described Barry as a ‘BUG-EYED ODD-BALL.’ They claimed he confessed: ‘’ I didn’t kill Jill Dando-because I was stalking ANOTHER woman.’’ He was shown posing with the horrible prison issue plastic bag which I had concealed when entering the hotel. In their ‘World Exclusive’ he was quoted as saying ‘After leaving HAFAD I bumped into a woman who was later a prosecution witness and said I was stalking her… That was at 12.33pm…’ That was obviously a reference to Julia Moorhouse who he had always denied meeting. He denied being the man in the photo wearing a gas mask and brandishing a gun. At one time he had told me that it was him in the photo and at another he denied it. The police said that he had admitted to them during questioning that it was him and I accept that it was. He claimed to be a Leeds United fan since 1972 and I recall him saying to Eddie in the mid ‘70s that they were his favourite team. Eddie had laughed then thinking that he was a fan just because Leeds were then the league champions. Under the headline ‘We didn’t just nab the local nutter’ retired detective inspector Ian Horrocks who was second in command of the murder investigation said he accepted the result of the retrial, but that he had agreed with the first jury’s verdict. He claimed that they had carried out a thorough investigation and eliminated all suspects apart from one-Barry George. The article then claimed that there was an uncomfortable incident at the hotel where Barry allegedly acted in a potentially indecent manner targeting Susan Young. (Dr Young would later confirm to me that she never once felt threatened or unsafe with Barry) In an article by Lucy Panton Susan was reported as being convinced that he was not capable of carrying out an execution killing. As I looked over the papers I felt nauseous, broke out in a sweat and had to push my breakfast away, I felt quite ill and it was not Guinness related. Our great victory now seemed hollow and I later said to David James Smith that it seemed like we had won the battle but lost the war. The Sunday Mirror ‘Exclusive’ had the independent article by Scott Lomax which was much more sympathetic towards Barry, though perhaps not entirely accurate. I was later told that there were threats of legal action over the article and I let it be known that if so I would be a witness for the defendants. Fortunately that Pandora’s Box was never opened. In the Mail on Sunday Jon Roseman revealed that he had never believed that Barry was the killer, instead thinking that Jill was shot by the Serbs. Overall much of the press coverage seemed to insinuate that Barry got away with it, but that he was really guilty. That would seem to reflect the police response. I saw just a little of the SKY News interview interview but I was not impressed by what I saw and heard. It seemed to me as if Barry was reciting from a script. I almost laughed as he earnestly said that he couldn’t begin to understand what the Dando family was going through. It just didn’t sound like something which he would say without being prompted, I felt they were not his words. I thought of the ‘idiot cards’ used by the BBC to prompt their interviewers on live shows such as ’Wogan’ back in the mid ‘80s. David James Smith later described the interview as cringe making and I have to agree. Kay Burley appeared kind and sympathetic while Michelle smiled sweetly as Barry struggled to find the word ‘foreman’, prompted gently by Kay. I felt that those media interviews were a mistake and damaged his chances of attaining public acceptance. Within two days he had been transformed from tragic miscarriage of justice victim deserving of some sympathy into something much less savoury. When I opened the JfB e-mails I saw nasty derogatory messages which were intended for Michelle, something which had rarely ever happened up to this. One told her to take her lovely brother to Ireland and to keep him there. That is the sanitised version. It was quite a contrast from the reaction which followed his 2007 victory in the appeal court. I felt quite down in the dumps at the way things had suddenly turned around, and what should have been a joyful period at the successful end of the struggle instead seemed to have become sordid, unpleasant. Later on that dreary  Sunday I called around to Margaret’s but she hadn’t returned home. I dropped in a letter for Barry with some advice and offering him the opportunity of cooperating with this book but he never responded, I do not know if he even got to see it. Later another relative told me that Michelle Margaret and Barry were going away for a while to an undisclosed location. That night I endured a horrible ear bashing from a person on the outer fringes of the family who said that the latest jury’s verdict did not convince him. It was with a sense of relief that I left London to go home on Monday, with 48 trips to the UK including 36 prison visits behind me. I was pleased to read along the way that there would be a police review of the case by the Met but I would have preferred if an outside force were to conduct it. After I got home I read in some paper that Barry and family were on the Isle of Wight where Michelle introduced him to Sion Jenkins. The IPCC needed to know if I wanted to pursue my complaint but I did not now wish to have any further involvement and so I dropped it. Eaten bread is quickly forgotten and neither I nor my fellow supporters would see or hear from Barry again. I felt quite bitter about it for a long while, and I was not alone in feeling like that. Some people put their professional reputations on the line and got no thanks for their efforts. Scott later told me that JfB’s website had received 978 hits on August 1st, 533 on the 2nd, and 369 on the 3rd. On October 1st I shut it down. It was now open season on Barry and the press set about destroying any hope of him settling into any kind of normal life in his home city of London. I watched dispassionately as his reputation, such as it was, nosedived over the last days of 2008 under a welter of tabloid fantasy. They ran stories on what he ate, what bookshops he visited, his temporary accommodation. They claimed incorrectly that he was stalking a nurse, that Sky’s Kay Burley was frightened sick by him, that he was interested in Cheryl Cole of X Factor, that he was involved with the partner of a convicted killer etc. To make things even better a ‘spokesman’ for him allegedly confirmed some of those manufactured stories. Pat Reynolds said to me one day: ‘with friends like those who needs enemies?’ It was a little sad to see the end results of the long hard battle and one day a despairing Margaret said to me that it was now worse than when he was in prison. In an October 10 feature in the Daily Mail David Jones summed up the whole sorry state of affairs. He described how Jill’s grave had been a haven of peace for Jack Dando, aged 90, and her brother Nigel, but that now Barry was planning to visit it. Singh Clair, described as Barry’s spokesman confirmed that. Nigel Dando said that he would not object to the visit: ‘It might give Mr George cause to ponder and reflect’, he said. The article described how others in ‘Team Barry’ included his sister, his mother, friend Robert Charig, and Sion Jenkins was described as a fringe member. Then there was the body charged with monitoring Barry and smoothing his path back into society under a Multi Agency Public Protection Agreement. (MAPPA)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=Then+there+was+the+body+charged+with+monitoring+Barry+and+smoothing+his+path+back+into+society+under+a+Multi+Agency+Public+Protection+Agreement&source=bl&ots=Osy89OF-cJ&sig=ACfU3U0zgkLRZxktkcCyj-B_-VTf-1st0Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP_uOK-dvhAhWssKQKHT4IBzYQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=Then%20there%20was%20the%20body%20charged%20with%20monitoring%20Barry%20and%20smoothing%20his%20path%20back%20into%20society%20under%20a%20Multi%20Agency%20Public%20Protection%20Agreement&f=false
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:07:08 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #351 on: April 19, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »
September 10, 2013 at 10:04 am
“As a family member of a terrible miscarriage of justice, the victim being Barry George, convicted of the murder of Jill Dando; the Simon Hall confession is a concern because it is already so difficult for true MOJs to be believed by the public; this confession damages the credibility of all those still fighting for justice.
https://www.thejusticegap.com/simon-hall-confession-a-time-to-take-stock/

“Michelle Diskin Bates has gone on to become a standard bearer for miscarriages of justice. We don’t need her to misdirect justice, however. Her credibility has recently taken a U turn; she has taken on the “plight” of the mass murderer Jeremy Bamber. She is now a respected “patron” and part of his naïve campaign team.
http://gunfire-graffiti.co.uk/who-didnt-kill-jill-dando/

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #352 on: April 19, 2019, 12:40:06 PM »
”Julie Etchingham looks into the murder of Jill Dando, who was shot dead on her doorstep in April 1999 – a case that has baffled police for two decades

“On 26 April 1999, journalist and TV presenter Jill Dando was shot dead in broad daylight on the doorstep of her Fulham home in London.

A neighbour with learning difficulties, Barry George, was wrongfully imprisoned for her murder for seven years.

After his release the case was reopened but there have been no new arrests since then.

Her death shocked and saddened the nation, yet, 20 years later, who pulled the trigger, and why, remains a mystery.

This film, presented by Julie Etchingham, revisits the crime scene, and talks to people who knew Jill well. Featuring new and exclusive interviews with one of Jill Dando’s best friends, Sir Cliff Richard, as well as Barry George and his sister Michelle, the programme also reveals new information found in boxes of evidence from the first trial.

Cliff Richard provides a vivid insight into his friend, who he met after discovering she was a fan. The legendary singer was helping her plan her upcoming wedding to doctor Alan Farthing.

Read more at https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/jill-dando-the-20-year-mystery-25-april-19/#fliSFi4EIS2qlPkI.99

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »
”Julie Etchingham looks into the murder of Jill Dando, who was shot dead on her doorstep in April 1999 – a case that has baffled police for two decades

“On 26 April 1999, journalist and TV presenter Jill Dando was shot dead in broad daylight on the doorstep of her Fulham home in London.

A neighbour with learning difficulties, Barry George, was wrongfully imprisoned for her murder for seven years.

After his release the case was reopened but there have been no new arrests since then.

Her death shocked and saddened the nation, yet, 20 years later, who pulled the trigger, and why, remains a mystery.

This film, presented by Julie Etchingham, revisits the crime scene, and talks to people who knew Jill well. Featuring new and exclusive interviews with one of Jill Dando’s best friends, Sir Cliff Richard, as well as Barry George and his sister Michelle, the programme also reveals new information found in boxes of evidence from the first trial.

Cliff Richard provides a vivid insight into his friend, who he met after discovering she was a fan. The legendary singer was helping her plan her upcoming wedding to doctor Alan Farthing.

Read more at https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/jill-dando-the-20-year-mystery-25-april-19/#fliSFi4EIS2qlPkI.99

Do they mean wrongly convicted?

Barry George has yet to prove beyond all reasonable doubt he was wrongly imprisoned.

In an interview with Radio 5 live Breakfast, Mr George's sister Michelle Bates said: "In the British justice system you are innocent until proven guilty.
"To say that Barry should prove his innocence after his conviction was quashed is ridiculous. There is no court in the land where you can prove your innocence.
"When you've had your whole life ripped to shreds, and you have been so hugely damaged just from being in the environment of a prison, you come out and there is no assistance given to you, no counselling. What about Susan Young?
"You have to find a way to build a life from the ashes of what you had."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31578422

Speaking from her Cork home, Michelle Diskin said: “We have thought
about it and taken medical advice but we have been told a lie test
wouldn’t work properly because of the condition he is in.
He has suffered brain damage as a result of his years of having
epilepsy and it was main reason why he didn’t take the stand in his own
defence at his trail.

https://randomirishnews.com/2006/04/21/jill-dando-killer-barry-george-too-sick-for-lie-test/

"During medical examinations before his trial, it was discovered that George had suffered severe brain damage from a physical injury while in his 20s. Michelle says he does not know how it occurred, although she conjectures that perhaps it was something to do with his 'Steve Majors' phase
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-135212/My-brother-didnt-kill-Jill.html#ixzz5DQUKMFv4
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:03:23 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »
Do they mean wrongly convicted?

Barry George has yet to prove beyond all reasonable doubt he was wrongly imprisoned.

In an interview with Radio 5 live Breakfast, Mr George's sister Michelle Bates said: "In the British justice system you are innocent until proven guilty.
"To say that Barry should prove his innocence after his conviction was quashed is ridiculous. There is no court in the land where you can prove your innocence.
"When you've had your whole life ripped to shreds, and you have been so hugely damaged just from being in the environment of a prison, you come out and there is no assistance given to you, no counselling. What about Susan Young?
"You have to find a way to build a life from the ashes of what you had."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31578422

It has to be seen in context,' Young said. 'He had complex problems. He was clearly an isolated, lonely man who would wander around the streets of Fulham without human contact. His days were spent interacting with clinics, hospitals, housing associations, the council and libraries. By claiming to be ill he would feel cared for and feel someone was giving him attention.'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/aug/03/jilldando.mentalhealth

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:31:12 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
It has to be seen in context,' Young said. 'He had complex problems. He was clearly an isolated, lonely man who would wander around the streets of Fulham without human contact. His days were spent interacting with clinics, hospitals, housing associations, the council and libraries. By claiming to be ill he would feel cared for and feel someone was giving him attention.'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/aug/03/jilldando.mentalhealth

I’d be interested to hear if the experts ever discussed Barry George and perspecticide

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #356 on: April 19, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
So it does indeed appear that after all his hard work, Barry George’s uncle was dropped like a lead weight following the moment his nephew was released from custody.

The notorious photograph taken of Barry George and Susan Young in the black taxi doesn’t show that uncle Mike was sat opposite.

Following her brothers release, Michelle Diskin Bates claims in her book to have had a discussion with the family on what to do next. This isn’t actually quite true, she omits to tell her readers that she totally blanked her uncle Mike and withheld the trip to the Isle of Wight.

Mike Bourke states:
‘After I got home I read in some paper that Barry and family were on the Isle of Wight where Michelle introduced him to Sion Jenkins. Eaten bread is quickly forgotten and neither I nor my fellow supporters would see or hear from Barry again. I felt quite bitter about it for a long while, and I was not alone in feeling like that. Some people put their professional reputations on the line and got no thanks for their efforts. The IPCC needed to know if I wanted to pursue my complaint but I did not now wish to have any further involvement and so I dropped it

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=39.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:23:28 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #357 on: April 19, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
“Barry George, who was cleared of murdering TV presenter Jill Dando, accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages today over claims that he had pestered women he was obsessed with.

Mr George, who was acquitted of the crime after a retrial in August last year, was at London's High Court with his sister Michelle Diskin, who led the campaign to prove his innocence after his 2001 conviction, for the brief hearing before Mr Justice Eady.

He said afterwards: "I am pleased that the matter between myself and News Group Newspapers has been amicably settled following a successful mediation without the need for litigation."

His counsel, Gordon Bishop, told the court that Mr George had brought the action over a number of articles in The Sun and the News of the World between August and November last year.

He said that News Group had withdrawn the "false allegations" and apologised for making them.

It had agreed to pay him substantial damages and all his legal costs.

Mr Bishop said that immediately after his acquittal, Mr George was interviewed by News of the World reporters and the following day by Kay Burley for Sky TV.

"Mr George agreed to give those interviews because he knew there would be a clamour from the press for his story and he wanted to satisfy the demands of the press as quickly as possible in the hope that he would then be left in peace to move on with his private life."

On August 2 2008, The Sun published articles about the retrial and Mr George, which described a number of matters that had been kept from the jury during the retrial.

Counsel said that News Group now recognised that those articles would have been understood to mean that there were grounds to suspect Mr George of the murder despite his acquittal.

"The defendant accepts that the verdict of the second jury in acquitting Mr George was correct and it apologises to Mr George for any suggestion otherwise."

The following day, the News of the World carried a report of the interviews given by Mr George in which he stated that at the time of the murder he was in a disability centre.

Mr Bishop said: "He also said that an hour later he was in conversation with a woman in the street who became a prosecution witness.

"Although he accepted he was paying possibly unwanted attention to her, she never expressed that to him.

"The headline for the article was 'I didn't kill Jill Dando... I was stalking someone else at the time". The defendant accepts that Mr George never made that statement."

Mr Bishop said various allegations were made in both newspapers in October 2008.

These included that Mr George had become obsessed with Kay Burley, that he pestered a woman whose advert about a dog he had answered, and that he became obsessed with Pam Wright, fiancee of Steve Wright, the Suffolk Strangler.

"The defendant now accepts that, although on one occasion Mr George did cycle to Sky TV studios to try to collect a tape of his interview with Kay Burley, Mr George did not pose a threat and was not obsessed with her, nor did he pester any woman who had a dog for sale, nor did he become obsessed with Pam Wright."

News Group's solicitor Ben Beabey said: "The defendant takes this oppportunity to correct matters and to apologise to Mr George for any hurt and distress he has felt."

Ms Diskin said outside court: "The war was won last August. There may be a few battles to come, but the war has been won. We are happy about that."

Her brother has launched separate High Court proceedings challenging the continued surveillance of his movements, despite his acquittal.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/barry-george-accepts-libel-damages-6779775.html

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »
In contrast to Michelle Diskin Bates book, I have found Michael Bourke’s account far more accurate and objective.

He comes across as a genuine individual. Was sad to read about Shannon in the epilogue
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:23:15 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #359 on: April 19, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »

Michelle Diskin Bates 🎀
@Michelle_Diskin
·
Apr 17
NOTICE: I do not ask for a speaking engagement fee, but for a donation to MOJO. This is to say thanks for all the work they did, at no cost to us, when we were battling miscarriage of justice.
Need a speaker? See flyer on my profile page

What about Mike and all the work he did?