Author Topic: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd  (Read 31051 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
Statistically, a young black man is more likely to be murdered by another black man than by a cop.

And one thing I don't understand is, if the killings of black men by cops is because of racism, why are they killing mostly men & not women?

Are we to assume the cops are both racists & misandrists as well?
It would be interesting to look at the stats on female deaths at the hands of US police, of course women commit far fewer crimes so that would explain why it's mostly men being killed.  The fact that black men are more likely to be killed by other black men does not excuse police brutality or trigger-happy responses to incidents involving black men (or anybody for that matter). 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »
The jury was fully sequestered during deliberations and therefore (if I’m not mistaken) would have presumably been unaware of Biden’s comment for one.

I thought Biden's phone call was after the verdict?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
It was, but before that he also commented that he hoped the jury would return the right verdict (though I don't think he spelled out what verdict but it's clear what he meant).
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #363 on: April 21, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
Yep, it was a totally stupid thing to do, but I really can't see how the jury could have come to any other verdict other than the one they came to -  I can' see that anything she said would have made any difference to the outcome.  That said Chauvin is certainly going to appeal and if he gets off because of what she did it will be devastating for Floyd's family and for justice in America.  IMO.

The entire thing stinks, Chauvin should never have been convicted on the first two charges.  Floyd was the instigator by his own initial criminal conduct and his continuous resistance to being arrested. Chauvin was stupid in not providing medical assistance once it was evident that Floyd was struggling medically. He should not have been convicted of murder though. This conviction will rightly be overturned at some later date imo.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:52:17 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #364 on: April 21, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »

No, it was definitely before.  Biden hoped for a correct verdict.  In His Opinion, of course.

America can have itself.  In My Opinion.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #365 on: April 21, 2021, 09:50:32 AM »
Yep, it was a totally stupid thing to do, but I really can't see how the jury could have come to any other verdict other than the one they came to -  I can' see that anything she said would have made any difference to the outcome.  That said Chauvin is certainly going to appeal and if he gets off because of what she did it will be devastating for Floyd's family and for justice in America.  IMO.

During the trial of George Zimmerman, the jury were sequestered for the full trial, precisely because of the high profile nature of the case (Hispanic man shot dead unarmed black teen), I read that they were put up in luxury hotels but without T.V, papers or radio. They apparently had access to gyms & pools & even a day out at a museum to reduce the impact of the isolation.

This case, being the most high profile police killing of all time, should have been treated in the same way imo.

It may well not have influenced the jury decision had they been sequestered in this way, but I certainly don't think the judge should have left anything to chance.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #366 on: April 21, 2021, 09:51:53 AM »
During the trial of George Zimmerman, the jury were sequestered for the full trial, precisely because of the high profile nature of the case (Hispanic man shot dead unarmed black teen), I read that they were put up in luxury hotels but without T.V, papers or radio. They apparently had access to gyms & pools & even a day out at a museum to reduce the impact of the isolation.

This case, being the most high profile police killing of all time, should have been treated in the same way imo.

It may well not have influenced the jury decision had they been sequestered in this way, but I certainly don't think the judge should have left anything to chance.
I agree, it was a strange decision by the judge. 

Offline Carana

« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
It would be interesting to look at the stats on female deaths at the hands of US police, of course women commit far fewer crimes so that would explain why it's mostly men being killed.  The fact that black men are more likely to be killed by other black men does not excuse police brutality or trigger-happy responses to incidents involving black men (or anybody for that matter).

That's mentioned in the study I posted just above.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #368 on: April 21, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »

Well I think the best thing to do is for cops to start killing more white people & black women to redress the statistical imbalance & create true equality.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #369 on: April 21, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
The entire thing stinks, Chauvin should never have been convicted on the first two charges.  Floyd was the instigator by his own initial criminal conduct and his continuous resistance to being arrested. Chauvin was stupid in not providing medical assistance once it was evident that Floyd was struggling medically. He should not have been convicted of murder though. This conviction will rightly be overturned at some later date imo.
It's clear as day to me that Chauvin committed murder - it's right there on the video for all to see.  He was an overly aggressive cop with a track record of complaints pertaining to his aggressive actions in the line of duty.  It was the right decision IMO and I hope he goes down for a long time.  No doubt in the meantime he will be elavated to the status of hero and martyr for those with a racist far right agenda.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #370 on: April 21, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »

Well I think the best thing to do is for cops to start killing more white people & black women to redress the statistical imbalance & create true equality.
Silly.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #371 on: April 21, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
Silly.

It might be a more achievable goal than actually reducing police killings, so I don't think the idea should be entirely ruled out.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
It's clear as day to me that Chauvin committed murder - it's right there on the video for all to see.  He was an overly aggressive cop with a track record of complaints pertaining to his aggressive actions in the line of duty.  It was the right decision IMO and I hope he goes down for a long time.  No doubt in the meantime he will be elavated to the status of hero and martyr for those with a racist far right agenda.

I'm a member of many right wing groups on facebook etc, I rarely comment but the general consensus I read there since the verdict is that Fentanyl Floyd was a dangerous criminal who died of a drug overdose & Chauvin was just doing his job.
We have to make allowances for these people's lack of intellect, they're American.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #373 on: April 21, 2021, 10:10:31 AM »
I have decided that I really don't care.  Three separate Charges for one supposed Crime has got to be a howl a minute.  If you don't get him on one then hope for one of the others.

They got him on all three.  Which one was it?  It surely can't be all three.  Where was he when the other two were going on?

Offline Carana

« Reply #374 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »

What "criminal conduct" was there that could justify the subsequent events?

A potentially forged banknote?

Jeez, that's happened to me. I paid for something or other with a largish banknote (for me at the time) and it got put under a scanner wand thing that determined it wasn't genuine. The cashier handed the note back to me and asked to provide a different means of payment.

Except for feeling frustrated that somewhere along the line I'd lost the value of my hard-earned banknote, that was the end of the story.  If I could have proven, or even remembered, how it had come into my possession, I'd have probably gone to the police myself.