Author Topic: Former PJ inspector Paulo Pereira Cristovao arrested for armed robbery.  (Read 64024 times)

Offline John

Re: Former PJ inspector Paulo Pereira Cristovao arrested for armed robbery.
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
Court annuls the entire investigation and trial phase of Paulo Pereira Cristóvão

Former inspector of the Judiciary Police is involved in a lawsuit involving 17 defendants accused of violent assaults on private residences.

By Lusa
Published 25 Sept 2017

The Court of Criminal Investigation of Cascais annulled the whole investigation phase and, consequently, the trial of Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, former inspector of the Judiciary Police, in a case with another 17 defendants accused of violent assaults on private residences.

"I annul all the evidence produced in the investigation, as well as the instructional debate and the investigation decision, which, consequently, and in the face of a new production of evidence, must inevitably be repeated," said the order of the criminal investigation judge, Cristina Henriques Esteves , dated Tuesday and the one that the agency Lusa had access today. The trial, also now annulled, began in June 2016 at the Central Criminal Instance of Lisbon, but was suspended on February 16 of this year by the collective of judges, pending a decision of the Supreme Court of Justice, which would declare the "material incompetence" of the Central Criminal Investigation Court for the conduct of the investigation phase. The defense of the former Judicial Police inspector had brought an action to annul the act that declared the investigation phase open, claiming "material incompetence of the Central Criminal Investigation Court" (TCIC) to deal with the crimes in question. The defense stated that this phase should have been carried out by the Court of Criminal Investigation (TIC) of Cascais.

The appeal reached the Supreme Court, which granted it, declared the TCIC incompetent to carry out the investigation phase and referred the case to the Court of Appeals of Lisbon (TRL). The TRL decided, in turn, to send the case back to Judge Carlos Alexandre, of the Central Court of Criminal Investigation, who referred them to the ICC in Cascais. This instance now nullified the whole process until the investigation phase. "Declared incompetent of the TCIC, it is necessary to annul the acts that would not have been practiced if before this court they had run and ordered the repetition of the acts necessary to know the cause", underlines the dispatch of the ICT of Cascais. "The evidence produced in the instruction was recorded, however, acts were practiced that we would not have practiced if before us had run the records, namely the hearing of witnesses who were heard during the investigation and the hearing of others whose interest is not seen in this instruction and especially for the discovery of the truth, "argues the criminal investigating judge. The order states that the evidence, although recorded, was not produced before this instance, which compromises a deeper knowledge of it, even if it does not legally make it impossible to conduct the instructional debate.

Regarding the documentary evidence produced, the Cascais TIC understands that "it is not envisaged that it has to be produced again", but "all testimonial evidence and declarations of the defendants produced in the instruction" are annulled. The Court of Criminal Investigation of Cascais also admitted the requests for the opening of the investigation presented by five of the defendants, and there are no dates for the beginning of the new phase of investigation, which aims to decide whether or not the defendants go to trial. The 18 defendants, including three police officers and Juve Leo's cheerleader Juve Leo, Nuno Vieira Mendes, known as Mustafa, respond by criminal association, robbery, kidnapping, possession of a prohibited weapon, abuse of power, violation of domicile by employee and document forgery. According to the indictment of the Public Prosecutor's Office, Paulo Pereira Cristóvão, a former inspector of PJ and also a former vice-president of Sporting, two other defendants and the three police gathered information and decided which people and places to assault by the group, namely in the Lisbon area and on the south bank of the Tagus River. The information was then transmitted to the other elements, which formed the operational side of the alleged criminal network.

http://www.cmjornal.pt/cm-ao-minuto/detalhe/tribunal-anula-toda-a-fase-de-instrucao-e-julgamento-de-paulo-pereira-cristovao
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:36:29 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
Reading between the lines it appears to have been a monumental cockup as to which Court had jurisdiction.  Seems they have to start all over again if they are to bring these gangsters to trial.

Curiously, the English language Portuguese press don't appear to have picked up this story yet?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:48:38 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
Reading between the lines it appears to have been a monumental cockup as to which Court had jurisdiction.  Seems they have to start all over again if they are to bring these gangsters to trial.

Curiously, the English language Portuguese press don't appear to have picked up this story yet?

If I understand it properly ... 80% of Portuguese respondents are very dissatisfied with with that news of annulment ... and I think that is hardly surprising.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
I would really like to know what this thread has to do with Madeleine Mccann's disappearance on May the 3 rd 2007.

While this man shows evidence of criminal activity,  he would not be the first member of a police force to do so.

Perhaps a thread could be started on those in SY involved in criminal activities.

Offline John

« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »
If I understand it properly ... 80% of Portuguese respondents are very dissatisfied with with that news of annulment ... and I think that is hardly surprising.

Portugal appears to have a real problem when bringing former high ranking Polícia Judiciária officers to trial.

Offline John

« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »
I would really like to know what this thread has to do with Madeleine Mccann's disappearance on May the 3 rd 2007.

While this man shows evidence of criminal activity,  he would not be the first member of a police force to do so.

Perhaps a thread could be started on those in SY involved in criminal activities.

He was very much involved with both the Joana and the Madeleine case so everything to do with it.  Mr Cristovao left the police to head up Portugal’s Association for Missing Children the year Maddie vanished. He later wrote a book about the case, "The Star of Madeleine".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/520155/Madeleine-McCann-cop-trial-violent-robberies-Portugal-controversial-book
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:11:44 PM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Portugal appears to have a real problem when bringing former high ranking Polícia Judiciária officers to trial.

Is Portugal unique in that John ?

Not just police officers either.

Let's take Chile for example, and Pinochet.

He makes the ex Portuguese policeman in question, look like an amateur.

Now who hired Pinochet's ex lawyer ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:53:39 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
Imagine you lived in a country which last year had 3,000 allegations of police corruption. Worse, imagine that of these 3,000 allegations only half of them were properly investigated — because for police officers in this country, corruption was becoming routine. Imagine that the police increasingly used their powers to crack down not on criminals but on anyone who dared speak out against them. What sort of a country is this? Well, it’s Britain I’m afraid — where what was once the finest, most honest service in the world is in danger of becoming rotten.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/03/the-shocking-truth-about-police-corruption-in-britain/

I think I would be more worried about what was going on on my own doorstep.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
Imagine you lived in a country which last year had 3,000 allegations of police corruption. Worse, imagine that of these 3,000 allegations only half of them were properly investigated — because for police officers in this country, corruption was becoming routine. Imagine that the police increasingly used their powers to crack down not on criminals but on anyone who dared speak out against them. What sort of a country is this? Well, it’s Britain I’m afraid — where what was once the finest, most honest service in the world is in danger of becoming rotten.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/03/the-shocking-truth-about-police-corruption-in-britain/

Thanks for that Alice.

Offline John

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »

Granted yes but the thread relates to Madeleine and Portugal.

stephen25000

« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Granted yes but the thread relates to Madeleine and Portugal.

..and how does this man relate to Madeleine's disappearance ?

He is far from the only person to comment on it.

Offline misty

« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
..and how does this man relate to Madeleine's disappearance ?

He is far from the only person to comment on it.

He made money on the back of Madeleine's disappearance, just as he did with Joana.

stephen25000

« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
He made money on the back of Madeleine's disappearance, just as he did with Joana.

So did the Mccanns and many others.

Have you condemned them ?

I have.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »

Did he make that money, that being the "on the back of Madeleine's disappearnce", illegally? If not you have no gripe. Forget morals they don't exist in money making.
In modern society one's success and status are irrevocably linked to how much money one has made with little regard to how it was made.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline misty

« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
Did he make that money, that being the "on the back of Madeleine's disappearnce", illegally? If not you have no gripe. Forget morals they don't exist in money making.
In modern society one's success and status are irrevocably linked to how much money one has made with little regard to how it was made.

The legality of those earnings is very much a matter to be questioned. IMO.