News and current affairs > A look at the news stories currently making the headlines.

Prince Philip passes away at Windsor Castle.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Wonderfulspam:

I'm going to miss his political incorrectness & racism.

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

"You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

"That's a nice tie ... Do you have any knickers in that material?" he asked Annabel Goldie, the Scottish Conservative leader, when welcoming Benedict XVI to Edinburgh in 2010.

"The Philippines must be half-empty — you're all here running the NHS," he told nurses at  Luton and Dunstable Hospital in 2013.

"You could do with losing a little bit of weight," he told 13-year-old Andrew Adams, after hearing he wanted to become an astronaut while visiting a science museum in 2001.

https://mashable.com/2017/05/04/prince-philip-gaffes-list/?europe=true

Venturi Swirl:
What a legend, so sad for the Queen and his family.  The country is a poorer place without him so I'm sad for us as well.  RIP Philip, they just don't make them like that anymore.

Venturi Swirl:

--- Quote from: Wonderfulspam on April 09, 2021, 01:14:21 PM ---
I'm going to miss his political incorrectness & racism.

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

"You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

"That's a nice tie ... Do you have any knickers in that material?" he asked Annabel Goldie, the Scottish Conservative leader, when welcoming Benedict XVI to Edinburgh in 2010.

"The Philippines must be half-empty — you're all here running the NHS," he told nurses at  Luton and Dunstable Hospital in 2013.

"You could do with losing a little bit of weight," he told 13-year-old Andrew Adams, after hearing he wanted to become an astronaut while visiting a science museum in 2001.

https://mashable.com/2017/05/04/prince-philip-gaffes-list/?europe=true

--- End quote ---
Philip approached me and a group of my fellow pupils who had turned out to greet him on a state visit to Malaysia in the 1970s and admonished us for skiving off school to come and see him and the Queen.  We were needless to say gobsmacked and gormless in response.

Eleanor:
Flags at Half Mast.  This is almost as sad as losing The Queen.

John:
The Prince of Greece and Denmark (his original title at birth) had a rotten start in life after being kicked out of Greece as a baby when their monarchy was abolished. With his mother hid away in an asylum and his father moved to Monte Carlo with his mistress, the young prince was moved around Europe from school to school before ending up at Gordonstoun. His other four sister siblings married Germans with associations to the Nazi Party. Quite the miracle that he eventually became consort to the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after Edward VIII abdicated.

From left.  Prince Philip, The Queen, The Queen Mother, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson later known as The Duke and Duchess of Windsor in 1967.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version