Author Topic: Discussion about interpreter services.  (Read 27933 times)

Offline gilet

Re: Discussion about interpreter services.
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:48:55 AM by gilet »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »
Oh really, can you not actually work out the reason for that?

Deary me!

When Scotland Yard began their review, they could have not been certain whether the McCanns were involved or not. Do you really think that using translations commissioned by potential suspects is the way that the UK Police act? If you do think that, then you are dafter than I had actually credited you.

Only having conducted that full review of the case have the SY team been able to eliminate the McCanns as suspects or persons of interest, a fact some cannot seem to comprehend or accept for some odd reason.

But they hadn't conducted a full review, had they ? According to SY they are only two thirds of the way through the files of information.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline gilet

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
But they hadn't conducted a full review, had they ? According to SY they are only two thirds of the way through the files of information.

That would entirely depend on which news media you choose to read.

There is absolutely no specific direct quote that I can find in any of the media from SY referring to this two thirds notion.

For example the Mail and Express both make claims about the two thirds but do not attribute that directly to SY. Whereas UPI specifically state that SY claim the review is complete. The Telegraph is among many which identify the review as having now been upgraded to an investigation.

Whichever, it is a fact that no-one can deny that enough of the review has been completed for SY to be able to pronounce on the McCanns and Tapas group as not now being suspects or persons of interest.

And whatever you may choose to believe from the media it would appear that the review is no longer operative and a full scale investigation has been launched.

Offline Jazzy

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
I didn't apply, sorry, I requested on line an interpreter for Corringham at 10 pm. No answer yet. I guess nobody wants to go there, at least no Portuguese speaking interpreter.

So what did you do? You made a wind up call late at night to a translation service? Is that right?

Offline gilet

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
So what did you do? You made a wind up call late at night to a translation service? Is that right?

That is what the poster stated she had done. And then she had the gall to appear a little affronted when they didn't play along with her stupid game.

Why people feel the need to play such games is quite beyond me.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
That would entirely depend on which news media you choose to read.

There is absolutely no specific direct quote that I can find in any of the media from SY referring to this two thirds notion.

For example the Mail and Express both make claims about the two thirds but do not attribute that directly to SY. Whereas UPI specifically state that SY claim the review is complete. The Telegraph is among many which identify the review as having now been upgraded to an investigation.

Whichever, it is a fact that no-one can deny that enough of the review has been completed for SY to be able to pronounce on the McCanns and Tapas group as not now being suspects or persons of interest.

And whatever you may choose to believe from the media it would appear that the review is no longer operative and a full scale investigation has been launched.

The Telegraph also claim the review is only two thirds through :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/10161774/Madeleine-McCann-David-Cameron-welcomes-new-Scotland-Yard-inquiry.html
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Luz

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
You can have an interpreter by phone even faster than that.

And I have no doubt that Scotland Yard, having realised that it was pointless relying on translations done by people who cannot find the equivalent word to 'odisseia' or spell 'interpreter' accurately, have indeed spent some of the cost of the Inquiry on getting proper translations done. You would expect a professional police force to use professional fully-attested translators in important work. I would have expected it of the PJ as well but my expectations have been somewhat shattered.

You gotta be joking!
What's the percentage of University graduates in the SY? How many have PhDs? How many speak or understand more than 2 languages?

Offline Luz

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
By the way Gillet,

have you read the Odyssey [Ὀδύσσεια] ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
In her book Kate says that the translator of her statements made several mistakes when taking down her statement. These were hopefully corrected  when the statement was read back but in reality Kate would not know for certain if her answers had been recorded accurately

Offline John

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Speaking from personal experience I found the whole legal translator concept a complete nightmare.  When I was arrested in Spain on a malicious and ill conceived extradition warrant issued by the Scottish Justice Dept I was after a few hours brought before a part time judge in what was a meeting room in the Halls of Justice.  They brought in an interpreter especially for the occasion.  The British counsel was there but was not allowed into the room.

At one stage the interpreter couldn't even interpret what the judge was saying such is the difficulty with legal issues.

I later found out that there were differences in translated documents originating from a single word sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:37:01 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
In her book Kate says that the translator of her statements made several mistakes when taking down her statement. These were hopefully corrected  when the statement was read back but in reality Kate would not know for certain if her answers had been recorded accurately

8@??)(  8@??)(  8@??)(

Offline John

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
That's exactly my point.  The Spanish judge wrongly recorded my response to the extradition request as a refusal but how can you refuse something if the terms and consequences are unknown?

As a result of this nonsense I spent 3 months in Penitenciario Fontcalent in Alicante and another 3 months in Penitenciario Valdemoro near Madrid before getting before another judge in Madrid who knew what he was doing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:55:17 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
That's exactly my point.  The Spanish judge wrongly recorded my response to the extradition request as a refusal but how can you refuse something if the terms and consequences are unknown?

As a result of this nonsense I spent 3 months in Penitenciario Fontcalent in Alicante and another 3 months in Penitenciario  Valdemoro near Madrid.
Did you read the translation with the interpreter before signing ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:58:06 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline sadie

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Speaking from personal experience I found the whole legal translator concept a complete nightmare.  When I was arrested in Spain on a malicious and ill conceived extradition warrant issued by the Scottish Justice Dept I was after a few hours brought before a part time judge in what was a meeting room in the Halls of Justice. They brought in an interpreter especially for the occasion.  The British counsel was there but was not allowed into the room.

At one stage the interpreter couldn't even interpret what the judge was saying such is the difficulty with legal issues

I later found out that there were differences in translated documents originating from a single word sometimes..

That is really interesting.  Thank you, John

Offline John

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »
Did you answer in Spanish ?

Nobody was able to translate the question into English so I couldn't give an informed response as required by the regulations.