Disappeared and Abducted Children and Young Adults > The Disappearance of Amy Fitzpatrick from Mijas, Costa del Sol, Spain, on New Years Day 2008.

Introduction - Amy Fitzpatrick (15) disappeared from Mijas, Costa del Sol, Spain in 2008

(1/4) > >>

John:
Amy Fitzpatrick (15) disappeared from Mijas, Costa del Sol, Spain in 2008

TEEN Amy Fitzpatrick’s disappearance in Spain in 2008 shattered her family’s dream of a new life.

The youngster was just 12 when she moved with her mum Audrey, stepdad Dave Mahon and brother Dean to Mijas on the Costa del Sol.

Estate agent Mahon ran a very successful business there and was the owner of eight homes on the Costa and a bar when Amy vanished on New Year’s Day.

Her disappearance marked the beginning of a downward spiral for the family — which hit a new low with the news that 23-year-old Dean had been fatally stabbed at Coolock, north Dublin, on Saturday night and that Mahon had been arrested.

The disappearance of Amy Fitzpatrick occurred on New Year's Day 2008.

At 10pm on that day, 15-year-old Irish teenager Amy Fitzpatrick said goodbye to friend Ashley Rose, with whom she had been babysitting Ashley’s brother at her friend’s house in Mijas Costa in Málaga, Spain.  Fitzpatrick should have arrived at her home on the urbanisation Riviera del Sol in Mijas Costa, near Fuengirola, at about 10:10pm, as it was only a short walk away.  She never arrived home and has not been heard from or seen since that night.

John:
 Audrey had admitted recently to being on the brink of suicide on several occasions.

The couple’s tireless search for Amy had made a huge dent in their finances and they returned to Ireland penniless last year.

Speaking recently, Mahon said: “We’ve definitely gone from riches to rags. At one point we owned eight homes in Spain and had a very healthy bank balance.

“Everything’s gone now and we’re renting a one-bed flat in Dublin. We’re on the dole and I get around on a pushbike.

“Our financial problems are the result of the search for Amy.

“We’re struggling financially but we wouldn’t have done things any differently and don’t regret a single cent of the money we’ve spent.”

Happier time ... Audrey, centre, with her daughter Amy and son Dean.

The couple were left devastated when Amy vanished while walking home from a friend’s house.

At the time of her disappearance, the youngster had been unhappy living in Spain. Amy had dropped out of school and was keen to return to Dublin.

Following her disappearance, Mahon and Audrey launched a campaign to find Amy — meeting with former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, current Taoiseach Enda Kenny and also Clarence Mitchell, the spokesman for missing Madeleine McCann’s parents.

Separately, her dad Christopher hired a private investigator Liam Brady to trawl through the evidence.

But Brady’s investigation seemed to drive a deeper wedge between Audrey and her ex, with Audrey slamming the probe.

John:
The mother-of-two also revealed her heartache at reports — after Amy’s disappearance — that suggested the teenager had been leading a wild lifestyle prior to the day she vanished.

The couple were accused of letting Amy lead an erratic lifestyle centred on drugs and alcohol — and that she had foraged in bins for food.

Speaking about the claims, made in 2011, Audrey said: “To say I’m furious is an understatement. It’s all lies. Amy did not drink, didn’t smoke marijuana and was never neglected.” Since their return to Ireland last year, things have gone from bad to worse for the couple.

Dave, left, Audrey and Dean.

On January 1, 2013, the fifth anniversary of Amy’s disappearance, Mahon was caught drink-driving near his home in Santry, Dublin.

In a hearing earlier this year, a court heard how an off-duty garda saw Mahon driving erratically, breaking several red lights and swerving in front of oncoming vehicles. In court, Judge Ann Watkin described the 42-year-old’s dangerous driving as being “horrendous”.

He was given a four-month jail term and five-year ban, reduced on appeal to a suspended sentence and three-year ban.

But the ordeal, coupled with her ongoing search for Amy, added to devastated Audrey’s stress levels.

In March, before Mahon successfully appealed his jail sentence, worried Audrey accidentally overdosed on panic pills.

Speaking at the time about the incident, Audrey explained: “It wasn’t a suicide attempt. All I wanted to do was to sleep because I felt so tired. I was out of it for around three days.

“My doctor says it was a miracle I came out unscathed. He’s banned me from taking Xanax which I used to combat panic attacks.

“We’ve accepted Amy’s dead but the pain of not knowing exactly what happened to her and where she is now obviously gets me down.

“My mum’s death last year and my dad’s battle with Alzheimer’s have also worn me down. Dave’s conviction has knocked me sideways again.” As well as Audrey’s stress, Mahon recently revealed how his own health has taken a hit as a result of the search for Amy.

He is due to undergo two hip replacement operations and told recently how he hoped to return to work after them.

The couple also revealed how they were considering returning to Spain when the property market picks up.

Mahon said: “I didn’t have the drive to run a business when Amy first went missing.

“The search for her took over everything else. We survive on €300 a month plus some rent allowance.” The pair hosted a party on February 7 — the date of Amy’s 21st — and invited friends and relatives.

Amy’s old school in Dublin, St Catherine’s National School, Artane, also marked the occasion by unveiling a garden in her honour.

The opening of Amy’s Garden was attended by members of the Fitzpatrick family, Amy’s former teachers, current pupils and Lord Mayor of Dublin, Naoise O Muiri.

Speaking at the event, former principal at the school, Moira Bennett, remembered Amy as the girl “with the biggest smile” and a radiant personality who got on with everyone.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/4943952/Torn-apart-by-tragedy.html

Eleanor:
Anyone got any details on The Amy Fitzpatrick Fund?  Is there anything left after supporting Audrey Fitzpatrick and Dave Mahon?
They certainly did a fair bit of Fund Raising.

Audrey Fitzpatrick is writing a book, by the way.  Will the proceeds from that go into The Amy Fitzpatrick Fund?

Such a lot of Funds that we don't know anything about, let alone Yearly Accounts for any of them.

Mrs. B:

--- Quote from: Eleanor on May 31, 2013, 02:33:22 PM ---Anyone got any details on The Amy Fitzpatrick Fund?  Is there anything left after supporting Audrey Fitzpatrick and Dave Mahon?
They certainly did a fair bit of Fund Raising.

Audrey Fitzpatrick is writing a book, by the way.  Will the proceeds from that go into The Amy Fitzpatrick Fund?

Such a lot of Funds that we don't know anything about, let alone Yearly Accounts for any of them.

--- End quote ---

We have set up a bank account for anyone who wishes to help us out with our campaign and we would appreciate the smallest donation to help us with out.

The details of the bank account are: Bank of Ireland 95839158 sort code 90-04-71

http://www.missingamy.net/funddetails.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version