Author Topic: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?  (Read 168732 times)

Offline Icanhandlethetruth

Re: Dog Alerts- Evidence or not?
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
Happy... Is another personal comment... Try and post within the rules... I'm merely keeping to the facts...

I apologise for enquiring if you were happy with my answer.
I will endeavour not to do so again.

Offline Lace

« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »
And I wasn't specifying 1 particular dog. I was talking about all UK trained dogs.

Any dog would find a buried body,   a cadaver dog is trained on how to react when it finds one,  sit for example or bark. 

The problem arises when there is no body,  as in the McCann case.    Eddie would alert to blood.    I believe that Eddie alerted to something that had blood on it and had been taken away.

Offline Icanhandlethetruth

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »

Any dog would find a buried body,   a cadaver dog is trained on how to react when it finds one,  sit for example or bark. 

The problem arises when there is no body,  as in the McCann case.    Eddie would alert to blood.    I believe that Eddie alerted to something that had blood on it and had been taken away.

You have a point. Eddies weakness was not that he was trained on piglets but that he was initially trained on blood.
Hence the need for 2 dogs at every search.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2020, 02:55:20 PM »
So does that mean both UK and US dogs had the same level of competency in the field. ie both would react to the same types of scent. Surely that means any denigration of the UK dogs is unfounded.

Apparently the scent is virtually identical.

I don't have quite the same faith in cadaver Dogs as some.

One American Dog Handler in The Casey Anthony Case said that if there is no Human Cadaver Scent then the dog will react to the next best thing, even Urine.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
Again one is enough.

That one wasn't difficult since the suspect told them where he had buried the body.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
I apologise for enquiring if you were happy with my answer.
I will endeavour not to do so again.

It was sarcasm but best left there

Offline barrier

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
Apparently the scent is virtually identical.

I don't have quite the same faith in cadaver Dogs as some.

One American Dog Handler in The Casey Anthony Case said that if there is no Human Cadaver Scent then the dog will react to the next best thing, even Urine.
To a dog or to human,if its a dog,who came up with that?
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
Eddie was trained using pig cadaver,   sorry a dog can't be trained again with something else,  how would the dog know to use the smell of human cadaver and not pig that he was trained on?

A cite to that effect please,old wives tale about teaching old dogs new tricks is not up to scratch with the modern world imo.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline jassi

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »

Interesting point.
If there is a device that can distinguish between human & porcine scents, who needs the dogs ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »

Loads and loads of folks ... worth using an internet search engine to confirm that.

Snip
Animal analogues, such as pigs, are typically used as alternative training aids. This project aimed to compare the visual decomposition and volatile organic compound (VOC) profile of human and pig remains in an Australian environment, to determine the suitability of pig remains as human odour analogues for cadaver-detection dog training. Four human cadavers and four pig carcasses were placed in an outdoor environment at the Australian Facility for Taphonomic Experimental Research (AFTER) across two seasons. Decomposition was monitored progressively in summer and winter. VOCs were collected onto sorbent tubes and analysed using comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography – time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Visual observations highlighted the differences in decomposition rates, with pig remains progressing through all stages of decomposition, and human remains undergoing differential decomposition and mummification. Chemical and statistical analysis highlighted variations in the composition ... ... ...
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/eArGTmb8E387RsWnn6VH/full
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2020, 03:12:48 PM »
That only measures chemical composition, not actual scent.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline barrier

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »
Interesting point.
If there is a device that can distinguish between human & porcine scents, who needs the dogs ?

If  they're that similar,its no wonder OG said "There is always the potential Madeleine never left the apartment alive"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:18:52 PM by barrier »

Offline barrier

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
That only measures chemical composition, not actual scent.

I've not heard of a dog acquire its PHD in analytical chemistry yet,I'll ask some I know who is such whether she has.

Offline barrier

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
Loads and loads of folks ... worth using an internet search engine to confirm that.

Snip
Animal analogues, such as pigs, are typically used as alternative training aids. This project aimed to compare the visual decomposition and volatile organic compound (VOC) profile of human and pig remains in an Australian environment, to determine the suitability of pig remains as human odour analogues for cadaver-detection dog training. Four human cadavers and four pig carcasses were placed in an outdoor environment at the Australian Facility for Taphonomic Experimental Research (AFTER) across two seasons. Decomposition was monitored progressively in summer and winter. VOCs were collected onto sorbent tubes and analysed using comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography – time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Visual observations highlighted the differences in decomposition rates, with pig remains progressing through all stages of decomposition, and human remains undergoing differential decomposition and mummification. Chemical and statistical analysis highlighted variations in the composition ... ... ...
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/eArGTmb8E387RsWnn6VH/full

Talks of visual and chemical analysis,who came up with their decomposition scent is the same? it certainly wasn't a dog,so theres no way of telling just how much different it is.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »

Ask a Dog Trainer.  I don't know.  But we are talking Cadaver here.  A Rotting Pig or a Rotting Human.