Author Topic: Minnesota police officer accidentally shoots black driver who attempted to flee stopcheck.  (Read 14952 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

I expect she will be charged, but the Wright family & all them mostly peaceful protesters might be a tad disappointed when they find out she isn't being charged with racially motivated first degree murder. Which many people seem to think this was.
I wonder what the stats are on deployment of tasers and guns by US police against black suspects versus white suspects, and if there is any difference according to race.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

I wonder what the stats are on deployment of tasers and guns by US police against black suspects versus white suspects, and if there is any difference according to race.

I'm not sure, but one thing I am sure of is that young black men commit robbery, car jacking & murder at a higher rate than any other race, so I don't think it's completely unreasonable for officers to have this in mind when dealing with young black armed robbery suspects.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

I'm not sure, but one thing I am sure of is that young black men commit robbery, car jacking & murder at a higher rate than any other race, so I don't think it's completely unreasonable for officers to have this in mind when dealing with young black armed robbery suspects.
Not to mention having air fresheners hanging up in the rear window. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline John

If I accidentally mistake my accelerator for a brake and run over and kill a small child that has run into the road I would probably be punished for dangerous driving, so why would anyone expect the cop to get off scott-free?

I don't think anyone does. In fact she has lost her job now, possibly her pension, certainly her home and community.

And could end up with an involuntary manslaughter conviction as well.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Not to mention having air fresheners hanging up in the rear window.

You do know that wasn't why they stopped him, right?

Offline Venturi Swirl

I don't think anyone does. In fact she has lost her job now, possibly her pension, certainly her home and community.

And could end up with an involuntary manslaughter conviction as well.
And sadly that is as a direct consequence of her own ineptitude, it's no one else's fault no matter how much you try to make it the fault of the naughty black man. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

You do know that wasn't why they stopped him, right?
I'm only going by the news report you posted in the opening post.

Online Eleanor

I am having some difficulty in understanding how one could mistake the feel of a Taser to that of a gun.

Offline Wonderfulspam

I'm only going by the news report you posted in the opening post.

According to the cops he was pulled for expired registration, which just goes to show you can't trust the media.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:53:35 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

Daunte Wright shooting: How can you mistake a gun for a Taser?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56734989
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:00:51 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

I am having some difficulty in understanding how one could mistake the feel of a Taser to that of a gun.

I don't think it's impossible, according to stats between 2001-2009 there were at least 9 instances where officers claimed this happened. 2 resulting in death.

Weapon Confusion and Civil Liability

http://www.aele.org/law/2012all06/2012-06MLJ101.pdf

Offline John

Kim Potter, the 26-year veteran of the Brooklyn Center Police Department, will be charged with second-degree manslaughter in connection with Daunte Wright's death, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput has just announced.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025?soc_src=aolapp
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:33:41 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Kim Potter, the 26-year veteran of the Brooklyn Center Police Department, will be charged with second-degree manslaughter in connection with Daunte Wright's death, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput has just announced.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-officer-kim-potter-be-charged-2nd-degree-manslaughter-daunte-n1264025?soc_src=aolapp

I can't seem to find the legal definition of 2nd degree manslaughter.

The video says...

If you knowingly or consciously take a risk that results in the death of a person.

Need a more detailed/ accurate description imo

Otherwise it looks like she might have a reasonable defence, she didn't know she was risking his life.
She thought she was using a non lethal weapon.

But saying that, officers are trained to distinguish between the two weapons, so perhaps she did know there was a risk. But the fact that the shooting unfolded in a few seconds (roughly 12 secs on my count) during a tense situation would need to be taken into account.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:17:23 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Venturi Swirl

I can't seem to find the legal definition of 2nd degree manslaughter.

The video says...

If you knowingly or consciously take a risk that results in the death of a person.

Need a more detailed/ accurate description imo

Otherwise it looks like she might have a reasonable defence, she didn't know she was risking his life.
She thought she was using a non lethal weapon.

But saying that, officers are trained to distinguish between the two weapons, so perhaps she did know there was a risk. But the fact that the shooting unfolded in a few seconds (roughly 12 secs on my count) during a tense situation would need to be taken into account.
12 seconds is ample time to check that you are using the correct weapon IMO.  If you’d said 1.2 seconds you might have a point.

Offline Wonderfulspam

12 seconds is ample time to check that you are using the correct weapon IMO.  If you’d said 1.2 seconds you might have a point.

I really wouldn't know myself, I'd need to undergo the police department procedural use of fire arm & tazer training to be sure. How many other risk factors & procedures might she also have been required to consider, during that 12 seconds, because that could be an issue.