Author Topic: Minnesota police officer accidentally shoots black driver who attempted to flee stopcheck.  (Read 14957 times)

Offline Eleanor

I can't seem to find the legal definition of 2nd degree manslaughter.

The video says...

If you knowingly or consciously take a risk that results in the death of a person.

Need a more detailed/ accurate description imo

Otherwise it looks like she might have a reasonable defence, she didn't know she was risking his life.
She thought she was using a non lethal weapon.

But saying that, officers are trained to distinguish between the two weapons, so perhaps she did know there was a risk. But the fact that the shooting unfolded in a few seconds (roughly 12 secs on my count) during a tense situation would need to be taken into account.

Don't they keep these two weapons in two different pockets?

Offline Venturi Swirl

I really wouldn't know myself, I'd need to undergo the police department procedural use of fire arm & tazer training to be sure. How many other risk factors & procedures might she also have been required to consider, during that 12 seconds, because that could be an issue.
Their brains obviously work verrrrry slowwwwly in that case then.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

Yes, they have their Gun on the side according to handedness, Gun on their strong hand & Tazer either holstered on their weaker side or in the centre of their body, so I've read.

But I'm really struggling to believe the opposing argument, that this 26 year veteran made a conscious decision to risk her career, pension & freedom & life by murdering some black dude on camera.

Like, what would be her motive?  Because she's racist? Then why pick on one dude, why not visit Detroit with an assault rifle & just go for it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:51:41 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

Yes, they have their Gun on the side according to handedness, Gun on their strong hand & Tazer either holstered on their weaker side or in the centre of their body, so I've read.

But I'm really struggling to believe the opposing argument, that this 26 year veteran made a conscious decision to risk her career, pension & freedom & life by murdering some black dude on camera.

Like, what would be her motive?  Because she's racist? Then why pick on one dude, why not visit Detroit with an assault rifle & just go for it.
Obviously it’s an accident but that’s not really a pn acceptable excuse for an experienced police officer mistaking a gun for a taser, a gun which weighed 4 times more than the taser.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

The trouble here is that she said, Taser Taser Taser before she fired it.

But No, I doubt that she deliberately set out to shoot him.  Perhaps she was tired and stressed.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Obviously it’s an accident but that’s not really a pn acceptable excuse for an experienced police officer mistaking a gun for a taser, a gun which weighed 4 times more than the taser.

It will all have to be weighed up in court.

As I understand it, she's now in custody, who knows for how long, she can't go home any time without protection, her address has been leaked on social media by peaceful protesters who want 'justice'.

Offline Wonderfulspam

The trouble here is that she said, Taser Taser Taser before she fired it.

But No, I doubt that she deliberately set out to shoot him.  Perhaps she was tired and stressed.

Tired, stressed, under pressure, had a slight headache, menstruating even.

There are so many possible factors as to why she forgot part of her training.

Offline Venturi Swirl

It will all have to be weighed up in court.

As I understand it, she's now in custody, who knows for how long, she can't go home any time without protection, her address has been leaked on social media by peaceful protesters who want 'justice'.
She must be going through hell and I sympathise, but the parents of the man she killed are going through hell as well and I sympathise with them more.  I don’t have any sympathy with those who are using this incident to further their agenda whether it be pro black/ anti police or anti-black, victim blaming.

Offline John

Yes.  And the gun is placed in a holster on your primary side ie your right side if right handed etc.  The tazer is in a holster on the other side. In my opinion I think she advanced to the vehicle knowing that the suspect had gun history, that she had her hand on the gun, that in the confusion she thought tazer but drew and used her gun.

Ultimately I put the blame firmly with the victim, had he behaved in a decent respectful manner he would be alive today.

The world is full of these bums who duck and dive constantly and cry justice the moment the law catches up with them.  North America has a huge problem now and it isn't going to get better any time soon with liberal democrats running it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:38:17 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

She must be going through hell and I sympathise, but the parents of the man she killed are going through hell as well and I sympathise with them more.  I don’t have any sympathy with those who are using this incident to further their agenda whether it be pro black/ anti police or anti-black, victim blaming.

My sympathy level for his parents reduced considerably when they saw the same video we all saw & then accused the cop of intentional homicide.

Offline Venturi Swirl

My sympathy level for his parents reduced considerably when they saw the same video we all saw & then accused the cop of intentional homicide.
I doubt in the midst of their grief that they are thinking too rationally, therefore my sympathy for them remains undimmed.

Offline Wonderfulspam

I doubt in the midst of their grief that they are thinking too rationally, therefore my sympathy for them remains undimmed.

Well that's very kind of you & I'm sure they really appreciate it.

Have you thought about sending a condolence card?

Offline Venturi Swirl

No, I don’t think that’s necessary. 

Offline Eleanor

Don't spoil it now.

Offline Wonderfulspam

George Floyd's girlfriend reveals she was Daunte Wright's TEACHER at high school in tragic link between families as she describes former pupil as 'goofy' and needing 'a lot of love'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9469603/George-Floyds-girlfriend-reveals-Daunte-Wrights-TEACHER.html