Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius to have psychiatric evaluation as part of the trial.  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Tim Invictus

That's interesting!  The BBC reported that it had been accepted by the defence.  I thought that sounded odd, hence I posed the question.

Defence and the state have both accepted the two reports conclusions ... basically that OP wasn't mentally unfit at the time of the alleged murder. Roux has reserved the right to return to questioning details of the reports after he has had time to study them.

Offline Tim Invictus

Is it because he has admitted to manslaughter, I wonder?

OP hasn't admitted anything .... he pleaded Not Guilty to all charges!

Offline Mr Moderator

Defence and the state have both accepted the two reports conclusions ... basically that OP wasn't mentally unfit at the time of the alleged murder. Roux has reserved the right to return to questioning details of the reports after he has had time to study them.

With respect, I fail to see how they can establish that he was mentally sound on the night of the murder unless they have a Tardis hidden away?  I would have thought they can only establish at best that he is not mentally inept at this moment in time.

Offline Tim Invictus

With respect, I fail to see how they can establish that he was mentally sound on the night of the murder unless they have a Tardis hidden away?  I would have thought they can only establish at best that he is not mentally inept at this moment in time.

I agree. Just like Dewani, they face possible decades in prison so of course they are going to be anxious and depressed now .... any opinion about how they were at the time of the murders is little more than guess work.

Offline John

I thought temporary insanity was impossible to prove?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.