Author Topic: Anni Dewani's family to sue Shrien Dewani  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Anni Dewani's family to sue Shrien Dewani
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
"The father of Anni Dewani, who was murdered in Cape Town during her 2010 honeymoon, has said that the family have hired a lawyer to sue Shrien Dewani for failing to tell them before the wedding that he was bisexual"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/11265092/Shrien-Dewani-to-be-sued-by-wifes-family-for-failing-to-reveal-he-was-bisexual.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2855740/Ani-Dewani-s-parents-reveal-SUE-Shrien-British-courts-daughter-s-murder-lied-gay-sex-prostitutes-bisexual-past.html

I can understand the family's anger but it would surely be difficult for them to sue SD on the basis he didn't let them know he was bisexual before marrying AD?

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Anna

Re: Anni Dewani's family to sue Shrien Dewani
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
Steven Morris   

The Guardian, Thursday 11 December 2014 11.54 GMT   

Shrien Dewani home in Bristol
An Avon and Somerset police officer outside the entrance to the family home of Shrien Dewani in Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol. Photograph: Rod Minchin/PA

Vandals have spattered white paint outside Shrien Dewani’s family home shortly after his arrival back in the UK from South Africa, where he was cleared of arranging the murder of his wife during their honeymoon.

Paint had been splashed across the driveway in front of the gate of the family estate in the upmarket Westbury-on-Trym area of Bristol.

Dewani, 34, left Cape Town airport on Tuesday morning, 24 hours after a judge cleared of him plotting his wife Anni’s murder in November 2010.

The businessman arrived back at Gatwick airport on Wednesday and was whisked away in a black people carrier. He has not been seen since but a member of staff told reporters he may return to Bristol later on Thursday.

Dewani was allowed to return to the UK after the judge, Jeanette Traverso, dismissed the case against him, describing evidence against him as being “riddled with contradictions”.

The collapse of the trial left his late wife’s family devastated. Her uncle, Ashok Hindocha, said they were exploring the possibility of taking legal action in an attempt to find answers.

Hindocha said the decision to halt the trial before Dewani gave evidence meant there were “holes to be filled” in the story about his niece’s final days.

Speaking from Sweden, he told the Guardian: “We were hoping for closure. We still do not have that but hope that we will have it in the nea
r future. We need to get the family together here and see what options we have, what possibilities we have to continue the process.

“There is still determination to continue. Otherwise we will have sleepless nights for the rest of our lives. We choose determination.”

Hindocha said the family’s “number one” option was some sort of legal action in the UK.
 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/11/shrien-dewani-family-home-in-bristol-attacked-by-vandals
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
"The father of Anni Dewani, who was murdered in Cape Town during her 2010 honeymoon, has said that the family have hired a lawyer to sue Shrien Dewani for failing to tell them before the wedding that he was bisexual"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/11265092/Shrien-Dewani-to-be-sued-by-wifes-family-for-failing-to-reveal-he-was-bisexual.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2855740/Ani-Dewani-s-parents-reveal-SUE-Shrien-British-courts-daughter-s-murder-lied-gay-sex-prostitutes-bisexual-past.html

I can understand the family's anger but it would surely be difficult for them to sue SD on the basis he didn't let them know he was bisexual before marrying AD?

I too can understand their anger, and why they would want to lash out.

But they are on a hiding to nothing.

"Which father in the world, including me, would allow their daughter to marry a person who sleeps with men? I don't think anybody would"

Their daughter was 28 years old, and it is not for the parents to allow or give permission.

From a legal perspective, in bringing an action on the grounds that Shrien is bisexual they themsleves may be subject to legal action.  As far as I can see there is no specific legislation to cover these circumstances - partially because her parents would not be able to prevent Anni from marrying who she chooses.

But there may be some refernece to other legislation - In particular the Equality Act 2006 makes it an offence to discriminate against lesbians and gay men in the provision of goods and services. 

It may also be seen as incitement.

I sincerely hope the lawyer will give them a realistic assessment of their chances in court, and not compound their anguish by cynically taking their money. 

Offline Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
Has the intention of the Hindocha family to pursue a civil case come to anything since we last visited this thread?