Author Topic: The Effect On The Economy  (Read 4825 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

The Effect On The Economy
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »
The amount of money the Government is borrowing to counter Covid is eye watering:

- 80% of employee salaries and self-employed net profits during 'lockdown'.

- Loss of revenue to exchequer in terms of taxes from individuals and businesses.

Businesses will also take a hit from loss of revenue.  Those companies operating full or hybrid final salary pension schemes which they are duty bound to fund will face large deficits from the fall in asset prices.

Individuals with assets will also take a hit from a fall in asset values whether it be property, investments, savings etc.

Will it be possible to stick with established economic principles or will it require a radical new approach and if so what?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline APRIL

Re: The Effect On The Economy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:11:13 AM »
The amount of money the Government is borrowing to counter Covid is eye watering:

- Loss of revenue to exchequer in terms of taxes from individuals and businesses.

Businesses will also take a hit from loss of revenue.  Those companies operating full or hybrid final salary pension schemes which they are duty bound to fund will face large deficits from the fall in asset prices.

Individuals with assets will also take a hit from a fall in asset values whether it be property, investments, savings etc.

Will it be possible to stick with established economic principles or will it require a radical new approach and if so what?

I'm inclined to think that the way off life we've all known, and many of us have enjoyed, has gone for good. I'm glad it isn't I who will have the responsibility, other than the personal, of rectifying it.

Offline barrier

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »

Those of us with retirement within reach may have had it snatched away,austerity,you ain't seen nothing yet.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »

Notice how you never hear the word Brexit hardly used now.  And some thought that was going to be bad for the economy.

Offline Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »
Those of us with retirement within reach may have had it snatched away,austerity,you ain't seen nothing yet.

Always remembering that 60-year-old women have already had it snatched away.  What astound me is that there wasn't enough money in the government kitty to pay these women and men who had reached the age of 65 yet mysteriously they have been able to conjure up £100 billion out of thin air..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:21:31 AM by Admin »

Offline barrier

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:17:35 AM »
Always remembering that 60-year-old women have already had it snatched away.
My wife being one of those.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »
Notice how you never hear the word Brexit hardly used now.  And some thought that was going to be bad for the economy.

Oh! they'll appear once the dust settles and some kind of normality reigns (whatever that will look like) we'd recover quicker etc,of course the whole eu may collapse,  Italy will want some help and then some.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Oh! they'll appear once the dust settles and some kind of normality reigns (whatever that will look like) we'd recover quicker etc,of course the whole eu may collapse,  Italy will want some help and then some.

Won't we all.  France, I mean.  Britain is the least of my problems.  The EU won't collapse.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
Won't we all.  France, I mean.  Britain is the least of my problems.  The EU won't collapse.

I don't think Europe will collapse because there are economies of scale.  I think little Britain may struggle on its own particularly as the markets we hoped to take advantage of will be looking out for themselves and their own recoveries.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
I don’t think anyone can make any sensible predictions on this at all.  We are in uncharted territory, getting in deeper the longer this goes on.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »

Including me.

My mind boggleth over as to how the UK will cope with both...

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »

Dear God,  does anyone really care?  Just get on with it.  What the hell is so awful?

My life was pretty awful once upon a time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 04:33:30 PM »
I don’t think anyone can make any sensible predictions on this at all.  We are in uncharted territory, getting in deeper the longer this goes on.

I think you are right VS and certainly there was no sensible or any other kind of prediction or even any forward thinking about a situation such as we see ourselves in today and how such might impact on the economy of the country.

Our assured market is gone and nothing has been put in place to compensate for that loss.  I think there are huge changes coming as a result and I think the policy of more 'austerity' is going to be a hard one to sell to a weary populace.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »
I think you are right VS and certainly there was no sensible or any other kind of prediction or even any forward thinking about a situation such as we see ourselves in today and how such might impact on the economy of the country.

Our assured market is gone and nothing has been put in place to compensate for that loss.  I think there are huge changes coming as a result and I think the policy of more 'austerity' is going to be a hard one to sell to a weary populace.
Taxes are likely to go up big time, which in itself will make us all less well off financially, with less disposable income, isn’t that just another way of dishing up austerity?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »

[/quote

I believe a rethink about social issues and working practices need to be looked at.

I loath to agree with that bstrd IDS, but I do with regards to become self reliant  nation as far inventions and making things ourselves. Support our scientists from our own stock and stop with the out sourcing everything, and get our manufacturing engines started again.

We have become a nation with way too many winging, whining self indulgent,self absorbed, lazy citizens.

Some people are over worked and underpaid to keep others- who are undeserving- this has to stop.

We only have to look at what we are at today - to see into the not too distant future.  many people working from home using IT less workers, and all IT reliance on outsourcing to different countries.  Online shopping-no cash purchases.

Our world is now ruled and controlled by Amazon, Microsoft, google, apple, china technology. I saw it coming a few years back- I didn't expect this so soon!  My first idea for IT thesis was rejected. I wonder why!

To remoaners... we are in a better position than the rest of the EU!  world market is out there.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin