Author Topic: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party  (Read 19472 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »
Notice how Starmer is not pinning his colours on any course of action he believes the government should take next with regard to whether to relax the lockdown or not, he’s simply waiting for their next move so that in a few weeks time he can criticise them for that as well, because let’s face it - the government are damned if they do and thy’re damned if they don’t.  He must be loving it.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 08:22:56 PM »
As with Corbyn, the monstering of Starmer begins.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/14/labour-urges-tory-mps-to-admit-keir-starmer-video-was-doctored

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8298331/Fury-Sir-Keir-Starmer-asks-got-need-applauding-NHS.html

Of course it turned out that Starmer was asking if the photographers had got what they needed so they would move and let his daughter past.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »
From Sarah Baxter in today’s Times (and echoing what I’ve been saying for weeks)

“ Clever though Starmer is at the thrust and parry of politics, in line with his experience as a barrister, we know very little about what he really thinks of the coronavirus crisis, except that the Tories have got it wrong on everything.

Should the nation have gone into lockdown earlier? Yes, of course, in hindsight, but Starmer didn’t have the vision or nerve to mention it at the time. Should we now re-emerge as quickly as possible — or hang back, as the obdurate union barons advise, under the guise of ensuring the safety of their members? This is not simply a practical question but a hard choice for Labour.

Whose side is Starmer on? Organised labour — the old Labour aristocracy — or the poorest in society, who are the worst affected by the crisis, as well as the future millions threatened by unemployment? Does he agree with the 50 Labour councils and the teaching unions, which are dragging their feet over the reopening of schools, or support the trapped children who are missing out on their education? And will the young who form the bedrock of Labour’s vote continue to back the party if their life chances are stifled?

In an interview in the Telegraph yesterday, Starmer pointedly noted that his own children are at school (his wife is a key worker in the NHS). It sent an important moral signal to Mary Bousted of the National Education Union and her colleagues to stop their petty political point-scoring and put pupils first (she described children on a private Zoom call as “mucky” germ spreaders who “wipe their snot on your trousers or your dress”).

Yet his solution — a taskforce made up of teaching unions, parents, local authorities and government — would take weeks if not months to reach an agreement, while the economic and social consequences of the lockdown continue to mount”.

"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline sika

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
Notice how Starmer is not pinning his colours on any course of action he believes the government should take next with regard to whether to relax the lockdown or not, he’s simply waiting for their next move so that in a few weeks time he can criticise them for that as well, because let’s face it - the government are damned if they do and thy’re damned if they don’t.  He must be loving it.
Surely, it is the duty of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, to hold her government to account.  Questioning their every move is the very least I expect of them. 

Online Eleanor

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
Surely, it is the duty of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, to hold her government to account.  Questioning their every move is the very least I expect of them.

Even if they don't know what they are talking about?  No one does at the moment.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 09:49:13 AM »
Even if they don't know what they are talking about?  No one does at the moment.

The government is, we are told, following the science and a great many scientists say the government is getting it wrong.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »
The government is, we are told, following the science and a great many scientists say the government is getting it wrong.

Do any Scientists have a different view?

I don't really care.  I left England a long time ago.  And France has been very good to me.  Much more so than Britain ever was.

I am just stymied by the conflicting rubbish that is being reported.

I have continued to worry about the land of my misbegotten birth.  Probably very silly of me.  It was never my heritage anyway.

But there is one thing to be said about Boris.  He doesn't care about what people think of him.  He got a Landslide.  Beat that one if you can.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
Do any Scientists have a different view?

I don't really care.  I left England a long time ago.  And France has been very good to me.  Much more so than Britain ever was.

I am just stymied by the conflicting rubbish that is being reported.

I have continued to worry about the land of my misbegotten birth.  Probably very silly of me.  It was never my heritage anyway.

But there is one thing to be said about Boris.  He doesn't care about what people think of him.  He got a Landslide.  Beat that one if you can.

So did Hitler, Mussolini, Amin, Mugabe....in fact most of the dictators throughout history.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:39:27 AM by Faithlilly »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
So did Hitler, Mussolini, Amin, Mugabe....in fact most of the dictators throughout history.

Oh, come on Faith.  Boris will never be a Dictator.  And you aren't that daft to believe it.

But we were talking about The Labour Party Leader.  No one was more staunch than my Dad.  He never forgave me for voting Tory.  Although I can't say that I remember who was in charge when I joined The Wrens in 1957.

But you know what they say.  Give any Party long enough.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
Oh, come on Faith.  Boris will never be a Dictator.  And you aren't that daft to believe it.

But we were talking about The Labour Party Leader.  No one was more staunch than my Dad.  He never forgave me for voting Tory.  Although I can't say that I remember who was in charge when I joined The Wrens in 1957.

But you know what they say.  Give any Party long enough.

I agree, Boris will never be a dictator...however it doesn’t stop him trying.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
I agree, Boris will never be a dictator...however it doesn’t stop him trying.

I think you missed the point, Faith.  Any Party with good policies will continue.  But I no longer have the time or patience to explain passing aberrations.  I don't care anymore.  The Labour Party to me are a bunch of put downs.  Keep the underdogs where they should be because they know nothing about anything. 

My Dad didn't see it coming.  He thought that his daughter's opinion wasn't worth tuppence happeny, being female as it were.  That is the real problem.

And I'll tell you what.  It is still a problem.  Perhaps you were better serve.  I do hope so.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
I think you missed the point, Faith.  Any Party with good policies will continue.  But I no longer have the time or patience to explain passing aberrations.  I don't care anymore.  The Labour Party to me are a bunch of put downs.  Keep the underdogs where they should be because they know nothing about anything. 

My Dad didn't see it coming.  He thought that his daughter's opinion wasn't worth tuppence happeny, being female as it were.  That is the real problem.

And I'll tell you what.  It is still a problem.  Perhaps you were better serve.  I do hope so.

I don’t think I missed the point at all. Boris is where he is because he was the only party leader who promised what a substantial part of the electorate wanted...to be Brexit over the line. It had absolutely nothing to do with good policies...they didn’t have any.

Since then he has overseen a disastrous handling of the coronavirus, where the very people who voted for him for the first time and the elderly who are disproportionately Conservative voters, have been especially betrayed. And worse is still to come...a hard Brexit and a deep recession, which again will disproportionally hit the poorest the hardest, will be the death-knell to his ‘evening up’ manta. In the coming weeks and months Starmer’s measured judgement will shine a torch directly on  Johnson’s lack of anything approaching statesmanship.

There are already rumblings from his own back benches that Johnson may not be the saviour he was sold to be...and we all know how ruthless the Tories can be.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:10 PM »
Of course he must hold the government to account, but to only criticise after the event and offer no practical solutions before it, is that very helpful?