Author Topic: Creepy Man (Gail Cooper statement)  (Read 10294 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Creepy Man (Gail Cooper statement)
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Gail Cooper's first witness statement, 21 May 2007

Daily Mirror Jan 8th 2008

New lead on Madeleine
A second British tourist has reported seeing a mystery man hanging around Madeleine McCann's holiday flat just days before she vanished.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-lead-on-madeleine-284969

Hunt for new Madeleine McCann suspect

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576048/Hunt-for-new-Madeleine-McCann-suspect.html

The Scotsman 21st January 2008

More like the police than the police - new tactics in hunt for Madeleine

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/more-like-the-police-than-the-police-new-tactics-in-hunt-for-madeleine-1-1074749
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:04:32 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: 'Creepy Man'
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
Gail Cooper's second witness statement, 16 January 2008

On the 21st May 2007 I made a statement to the police regarding an incident which occured whilst I was on holiday in Praia da Luz in Portugal. I reported that a male had come to the villa collecting money for an orphanage. I made the statement following the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, as I believed he was suspicious, and I felt the information could be useful to the enquiry. Since making the statement I never really gave it much more thought until my daughter ***** (crossed out and amended to mother *****) pointed out to me an article in the Daily Mirror newspaper which said something about a man had been approached by a male collecting for an orphanage. The story related to Madeleine McCann.

This then made me think about the man who had visited me at the villa. The article dated in the newspaper was Monday 7th January 2008. My daughter ***** contacted the Daily Mirror newspaper as there was a telephone number asking for people to contact them with any information.

Later on in the day on Monday 7th January 2008, I received a telephone call from a man at the Daily Mirror wishing to come and see me. However, we decided to discuss the information over the phone. I told him about the man who had gone to the villa and gave him the description as I stated in my original statement.

On Tuesday 8th January 2008 the information I passed to them over the phone was printed in the Daily Mirror.

My daughter ***** also saw it and mentioned some further information which I had originally forgotten and it related to two further potential sightings of the same man on the beach at Praia da Luz which I describe as follows:-

On Sunday 22nd April 2007 whilst I was holida on holiday as per described in my previous statement, I was with my family at the 'Bar Habana' on the promenade area of Praia da Luz. The bar faces out towards the sea and is surrounded by other cafés and bars.

I was with my husband Jon, my son *****, my daughter *****, my eldest daughter ****, her husband *****, my mother ***** and my two grandchildren ***** and *****. As we were sitting there, my attention was drawn to the sound of children descending onto the promenade area. They all came onto the beach along the wooden boardwalk and there were approximately between 6 and 12 of them. They ranged from about 5 - 8 years of age. I was also aware that there were adults with them, and realised they were from the 'Mark Warner' Holiday complex as the adults had got white shorts and red tee-shirts on. I believe they had the name 'Mark Warner' on the front of the shirts. All the children went towards a play area where there were some swings. The time was between 11 am and 12 midday.

As I watched the children I saw a male walking behind them. He was approximately 10 - 15 yards away from where I was sitting. He didn't really do anything, he was just walking behind them, and I initially thought he was with the group, but as they got to the beach he turned right towards where I was, along the promenade area. He did not stay with the children at all. As he walked in front of me, I was immediately drawn to the fact that he looked exactly like the man who had been to my villa on Friday 20th April 2007. He had exactly the same hair style, dark collar length which was quite untidy looking. He had the same moustache, and looked the same age. The only different thing about him was that he had a Navy blue tee shirt on, round neck style with short sleeves. It was all plain with no logos or anything. His trousers were quite a neutral colour.

He was not carrying anything. He was the same height between 5'7" - 5'10" and slim-medium build. He appeared to be by himself, there was no one else near to him.

He was only in my view for a matter of seconds, but I had a clear unobstructed view of him and the weather was bright and sunny. I saw about three-quarters of his face as he walked by, he did not face me full on but I saw more of his face than just looking at his side profile.

I even commented to my daughter ***** that it was the same man who I spoken to at the villa.

The man walked away and I did not see him again.

Since all that has happened around Madeleine McCann, I have thought about other things that may have been suspicious.

I can recall that on Friday 20th April 2007 about 1 or 2 o'clock I was sitting on the beach front again in Praia da Luz. This was just before the man came to the villa later on that day. I was sitting at the 'Bar Parisio'. It faces out onto the sea and is near to the 'Bar Habana' I mentioned earlier. I was with my friends Trudy and Lee Dawkins, my husband Jon, Trudy's daughter Leander and her 2 year old son *****. Leander's husband Steve was also there. It was raining on this particular day, and I recall seeing a man walking alone on the beach. I thought it strange because of the weather. He was only in my sight for a few seconds and was some distance away. I could not fully see his face but as I have sat and thought about the suspicious man, I feel sure it was the same man I saw at the villa and again on the beach on the Sunday.

He was the same height, age, had the same hairstyle and the only other thing different is that he had a khaki green or stone coloured coat on.

I did not report this information to the police at the time I made my first statement as I just did not see the full relevance of it until I saw the article in the Daily Mirror in January. It had not even crossed my mind until I started going over what I had done and seen during my stay in Portugal.

Signed and witnessed
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:20:46 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: 'Creepy Man' (Gail Cooper statement)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »

20th January 2008

News of the World

Witness reveals chilling clues about Maddie suspect 

By Sara Nuwar

This is the man suspected of snatching four-year-old Maddie McCann.

It is the FIRST detailed likeness of a stalker thought to have kidnapped the toddler. And it's based on sensational new clues unearthed by the News of the World.

If you have any information about the man in this new picture contact the confidential phone line 0034 902 300 213 based in Spain now

As a massive new manhunt began last night a McCann family source said: "This is a stunning breakthrough.

A British woman who came face to face with the suspected Maddie McCann kidnapper revealed last night: "He made my blood run cold and gave me the creeps."

Granny Gail Cooper, 50, was staying just 600 YARDS from the McCann family's Portuguese holiday flat when she had THREE separate chilling encounters with the moustachioed mystery man.

After the News of the World probed her evidence further, McCann investigators analysed her detailed description.

It tied in uncannily with descriptions by family friend Jane Tanner of a man seen carrying a child in pink pyjamas from the resort of Praia da Luz the night Maddie vanished.

Based on Mrs Cooper's evidence an FBI-trained police artist produced the the FIRST detailed likenesses of the stalker—pictured above.

And last night, armed with the new pictures, detectives in Portugal and Britain were joined by Interpol in a desperate race to trace the suspect.

The man is 38 to 45, with sallow skin, lank dark hair, distinctive droopy moustache, large teeth and speaks broken English.

As the dramatic development raised the McCann family's hopes a source at the heart of the probe admitted: "This is a stunning breakthrough. We now have a manhunt. Where is this man now? We need to find him as soon as possible."

Over the last seven days Spanish private eyes Metodo 3 and the Find Madeleine campaign worked round the clock after the News of the World conducted a detailed review of the case. We studied all material in the public domain homing in on witness reports we felt had been overlooked.

When we spoke to Mrs Cooper at length it soon became clear vital clues were buried in her account of a "creepy man" loitering at the resort.

Two of her sightings were also witnessed by her husband. And we can also reveal that a NEW witness, a 12-year-old girl, has come forward to back up her story.

Mrs Cooper first spotted the man on the beach at Praia da Luz on April 20 at about 1pm when she went for lunch with friends at the Paraiso Restaurant.

She said: "He was wandering about on the beach alone even though it was pouring down with rain. There wasn't another soul about. I watched him for a few minutes before I went back to chatting to my friends."

Later that day, at around 4pm, Mrs Cooper was startled to find the stranger knocking on the front door of her holiday villa.

She said: "He must have seen my husband leaving because the bell rang only seconds later.

"He flashed what he said was an identity card but it could have been anything.

"He seemed really strange. It was a warm afternoon but he was wearing khaki trousers or joggers, a T-shirt and a bomber jacket. He said he was collecting for an orphanage in nearby Espiche that was caring for three children whose parents had recently been killed in an accident on the main coast road.

"It just didn't add up. Everyone would have known if there had been a tragedy like that.

"The man was rambling and becoming agitated. He really unnerved me even though my two grown-up daughters and two grandchildren were with me.

"I thought he was a conman trying to pull a fast one."

Mrs Cooper also said her eight-year-old grand-daughter had been playing on her own in the pool near the villa and was clearly visible from the road.

She added: "This man was very unpleasant and creepy. I'd put his age at 38 to 45. He was very scruffy and had a 70s-style black Mexican moustache.

"He wasn't Portuguese—I think he was North African, either Tunisian or Moroccan."

Mrs Cooper, a community healthcare co-ordinator from Newark, Notts, added: "In my job I have to assess people and make a judgement.

"My judgement is that this man was very suspicious and could have been the kidnapper everyone is searching for.

"I'd recognise him immediately if I saw him. His appearance has really stuck in my mind."

We can confirm the orphanage does NOT exist and that there is no evidence of the fatal car crash. Mrs Cooper saw the man a third time, two days later on April 22, as she lunched with her husband Jonathan at Bar Habana on the beach.

There was a children's outing there from the Mark Warner Ocean Club at the same time. The man was again alone and standing near the group of youngsters. Mrs Cooper said: "He looked odd and out of place."

When Madeleine arrived at the resort just a week later, the youngster went to the beach three days in a row with the children's club, including May 3, the day of her disappearance.

Although Mrs Cooper rang police on May 7 and gave a statement at her home on May 21 she heard no more. But it is now clear how important her account—and the facial likeness built from it—may be. On the night Madeleine vanished from the apartment while parents Kate and Gerry—both Leicestershire doctors—were dining at a nearby tapas restaurant, family friend Jane Tanner saw a man carrying a child away from the apartment on foot at 9.10pm.

Jane has now told the McCanns: "The man in the new suspect picture strongly resembles the person I saw on May 3rd."

The sketch by qualified police artist Melissa Little, bears an uncanny resemblance to an earlier picture, based on Jane Tanner's story.

Last night the McCanns' spokesman Clarence Mitchell said the new image had been passed to officers from the Leicestershire Constabulary, Portuguese police and Interpol. They hope the hunt will also be joined by forces in Spain and Morocco.

Metodo 3 believe the kidnapper may have had accomplices in Praia da Luz who helped spirit Madeleine away to the Moroccan hills.

If you have any information about the man in the new picture contact the confidential phone line 0034 902 300 213 based in Spain now. A specially-trained team will take your call in any language.

Mr Mitchell said: "We urgently need to know who this man is and where he is.

"For Madeleine's sake, we urge anyone with any information about him to come forward right away."

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »
25th January 2008

MADDIE: WE FIND WEIRDO SUSPECT – He comes out packing a gun (article no longer available online)

EXCLUSIVE

The weirdo whose image is on a million posters in the Madeleine McCann hunt was traced by the Daily Star – and threatened to shoot our man with his rifle

The "creepy" prowler fingered in the hunt for Madeleine McCann was last night revealed as a penniless pig farmer ... with a gun.

Police are certain Joaquim Jose Marques is the suspicious stranger spotted lurking in Praia da Luz a fortnight before Madeleine vanished.

But when the Daily Star tracked him down yesterday at his crumbling farmhouse three miles from the Portuguese resort, he unleashed a pack of ferocious dogs.

Then he emerged with a rifle, screaming threats that he would open fire.

Marques became the centre of a global manhunt after Brit holidaymaker Gail Cooper  described the character that made her "blood run cold" to an ex-FBI sketch artist who produced a vivid drawing of the man.

Maddie's parents Gerry and Kate, both 39, distributed a million posters of the image in a bid to trace him, so he could be quizzed over their daughter’s disappearance while they were on holiday at the resort.

But yesterday it was revealed that detectives had tracked him down just 20 days after the four-year-old vanished last May and found he had an alibi.

Police officers went back to see Marques this week after the McCanns issued their poster.

They also quizzed his British hairdresser girlfriend – with whom he has a three-year-old daughter – to check out his story. When the Daily Star went to his tumbledown hillside farm, it was apparent why police were quick to include him in their first round-up of suspects.

Marques flew into a rage at being linked to the Madeleine disappearance and set loose his dogs. Then, brandishing a garden hoe menacingly, he screamed abuse when asked to explain the police visit.

"Leave me alone, leave me alone," he yelled. "You are destroying my life. I have had the police here and they know it is not me. I want you off my land right now."

The swarthy farmer disappeared into an abandoned outbuilding and emerged toting a rifle above his head, screaming threats that he was about to shoot.

While his long hair, facial colouring and age – in his 30s – match the man in the drawing, he does not share his moustache or prominent teeth.

Holidaymaker Gail, 50, had told how she saw the mysterious man three times in Praia da Luz the week before the McCanns arrived, and he gave her the "creeps".

Last night the McCanns' private detectives from the Barcelona-based Metodo 3 agency were still trying to track down Marques to question him about the poster.

The couple's family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "As far as we are concerned the hunt for the man in the sketch continues.

"We are very grateful to anyone who comes forward with information and, even if it is not the man we are looking for, it enables us to rule individuals out."

But Portuguese police said Marques was not a suspect in the case, had not been arrested and has been eliminated from their inquiries.

A police source said: "At the time of the disappearance an individual who had been fingered as a suspect by a tourist in Luz was contacted.

"Immediately he was acquitted of any suspicions.

"This week another English citizen pointed to the individual.

"But after the man was once again contacted, it was quite clear he had no connection to the case."

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
27th January 2008

News of the World

Is this Maddie suspect?

Exclusive: Astonishing lookalike found in hunt for missing Maddie

By Chris Tate & Neville Thurlbeck

A mystery loner who admits he bears an uncanny resemblance to an artist's drawing of a "creepy" suspect in the Maddie McCann kidnap hunt said : "It's not me in the picture."

But when eyewitness Gail Coop, who helped create the sketches, saw the scruffy man's photo she gasped: "Oh my God, that's so like him.

"He's the spitting image of the man I saw three times at the resort where Madeleine vanished.

"It's deeply shocking to see my drawing come to life. His cold, emotionless eyes sent a chill right through me."

The 50-year-old granny added: "I thought there'd be no doubt in my mind if I saw him again."

But when we tracked down the mystery man in our photo, Joaquim Agostinho, 42, who lives a 90-minute drive from the resort, said: "I did not kill Madeleine and I've never been to Praia da Luz.

"I cannot even drive. I accept that the drawing looks like me. All my friends have been laughing about it during the week saying how much it looks like me."

Astonishingly, despite the amazing resemblance, he revealed that police haven't bothered to question him.

Impossible
He said: "No, the police haven't spoken to me. But people have been following me and taking pictures of me today and I didn't know what it was all about.

"As I say, I don't drive a car so I couldn't possibly have done what people think. I did own a motorbike once but I lost it couple of years ago."

Agostinho lives alone in a small flat in Altura, 87 miles east of Praia, where Madeleine was kidnapped on May 3 last year.

He added: "I have no money. I earn a little bit by delivering newspapers to people and for that they pay me with a drink of beer."

As our snap of Agostinho shows, he has a droopy moustache, long, dark hair and prominent teeth, just like the man in the sketch.

Heathcare worker Gail helped an FBI-trained illustrator make a detailed image of the suspicious man she saw in the resort where she was staying — close to the McCanns' holiday apartment and at the time Maddie disappeared.

After the drawings sped around the globe, we photographed a man described as a "weird loner" in his home town, just an hour and a half's drive from Praia da Luz before talking to him.

On Saturday we found Aghostinho touring around the bars of his hometown. Unkempt and unshaven in a brown leather jacket and camouflage trousers, the six-footer drank a lunchtime coffee in one bar before moving on to a succession of others.

Later, laughing nervously and looking bewildered in front of Portuguese TV cameras, he held a press conference outside his favourite bar, the Snack Bar Aliha at 5pm.

Our investigations in the small seaside town revealed the man, in his mid-fifties, is a college dropout and one-time fisherman who now drifts aimlessly around its narrow streets.

One local told the News of the World: "He is single and lives alone somewhere in the warren of little streets near the church.

Problems
"At one time he was a very bright student, but had emotional problems and dropped out of education.

"Now he just wanders from bar to bar. Most people know him, he's not known as being any trouble."

The town is a popular tourist spot with Brits and Germans, just 20 minutes across an open border to the Spanish town of Heulva, where five-year-old girl Mari Luz Cortes vanished two weeks ago while on her way to buy crisps from a shop.

Although there is no evidence that Aghostinho has any connection with either disappearance, Gail urged Portuguese cops to question him.

Detectives have claimed pig farmer Joaquim Jose Marques, who wears his hair in dreadlocks, is the subject of her drawing and that he has already been eliminated from their search.

But last night Gail insisted: "I know with all my heart that Marques definitely was NOT the guy I saw three times in Praia de Luz.

"That man was not the guy in my drawing. But this new man is so much like him.

"I'm amazed the man in the photo is so similar to him. I'm sure the one with the dreadlocks is NOT him. This new man must be interviewed, if only because they need to rule him out of inquiries—and he might even be a vital new witness."

Gail saw the suspect she described three times wandering around the resort. He called at the villa where her grandchildren were playing in a pool, visible from the road, claiming he was collecting for an orphanage.

She said: "He didn't do anything, but I felt intimidated by his manner.

"I didn't give him any money and he went off on foot, but he must have had a vehicle somewhere."

Meanwhile, there was a bizarre new "sighting" of Madeleine reported last night—in Chile, South America.

An air-conditioning technician in Santiago told police he saw two adults with a young child at a museum in Vicuna five days ago.

He told officers: "I saw a child with a pair of adults, one of whom closely resembles the police portrait of the possible kidnapper recently released by private detectives hired by the McCanns.''

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
28th January 2008

The Sun

McCann cops to quiz lookalike  

By GARY O’SHEA
in Praia da Luz

Detectives are to quiz a drifter who looks uncannily like a mystery suspect in Maddie McCann’s disappearance.

Joaquim Agostinho, 42, denies he is the creepy man depicted in a sketch issued by parents Kate and Gerry McCann.

But Metodo 3, the Spanish private investigators hired by the McCanns, are taking the possibility seriously.

The artist's impression was based on a description by tourist Gail Cooper of a man she saw lurking near kids in Praia da Luz, Portugal, before Maddie, four, disappeared.

A source close to Metodo 3 said: ''We are going to be talking to this man as a priority, to establish if he is the one Mrs Cooper saw.''

When shown a photo of Agostinho, Gail, 50, of Newark, Notts, gasped: ''He’s the spitting image of the man I saw three times at the resort. It’s deeply shocking to see my drawing come to life.''

Unkempt Agostinho lives on disability benefit in Altura, 87 miles east of Praia da Luz.

He said: ''People will claim the crazy guy is me — but I don't even know where that Praia da Luz place is.

''I've never been there. I can't even drive. I accept the drawing looks like me. But I did not kill Madeleine and the police haven’t spoken to me.''

29th January

Derry Journal

I saw Maddie abductor - Donegal woman

Published Date: 29 January 2008
Source: Journal Tuesday Derry Edit
By Staff reporter

A Donegal woman, who holidayed in Portugal last summer, says she saw the man believed to have abducted Maddie McCann.

The woman, who did not want to be named, was struck by the haunting picture that has appeared in the international media over the past week.

She says she recalls seeing a man matching the exact description while she was in the Club Alvorferias resort, in Alvor, close to Praia da Luz, where tot Maddie was snatched.

The woman has contacted the McCann family with the latest information. She said: "I e-mailed the Madeleine family helpline. I just wanted to give whatever information I had relating to what I had seen. I am not sure if it will be relevant or not but I suppose every bit helps."

The woman was on holiday with another adult and two children at the Club Alvorferias Apartments, Alvor, during the week from July 28 to August 4 last year.

She said: "On the Monday or Tuesday of July 30 to 3 of our stay at around lunchtime a man knocked at our door claiming to be collecting for an Aids Orphanage in Portugal. He resembled the man in the photofit picture in colouring, height and build.

Hair shorter

''However, his facial appearance was slightly different. His hair was a bit shorter and he did not have a heavy moustache. He had a goatee beard. His clothes were similar to that of the photofit and he was a bit dishevelled. He spoke good English with a heavy accent.''

She added: ''He carried a clipboard. He showed me ID which was attached to the clipboard, but told me not to look too closely as 'God did not give him a beautiful face'.

''I would have to agree with the lady who initially reported the matter in saying that there was definitely something about him which made me feel very uncomfortable and I gave him some money and got rid of him as quickly as possible.

''I did not see him around the area again for the remainder of our stay. I hope this is of use to you.''

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local-news/i-saw-maddie-abductor-donegal-woman-1-2119638
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:14:40 AM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:36 AM »

2nd May 2010

Sunday Express

Madeleine McCann Exclusive: Gail Cooper heads to Praia da Luz

THE prime suspect in the Madeleine McCann abduction was secretly filmed working at a market in Portugal.

Moving images were covertly shot of the man and shown to key witness Gail Cooper by an investigator working for Kate and Gerry McCann two years ago.

The man was filmed unloading what looked like linen from a clean white van at an "inland" travelling market.

Mrs Cooper, 53, today tells the Sunday Express the man captured on film was the same person she saw three times in Praia da Luz on the Algarve, just days before Madeleine was snatched.

Mrs Cooper is the key witness in the case because she had a tense 15-minute conversation with the suspect before Madeleine vanished from the Mark Warner Ocean Club in Luz on May 3, 2007.

Today, Mrs Cooper calls on the McCanns to put the sensational footage on their website findmadeleine.com so he can be traced by detectives.

"I believe the man I saw was the same person who abducted Madeleine McCann," said Mrs Cooper, who was flown back to Luz last week by the Sunday Express in an attempt to unlock the mystery.

"More people need to see this footage to discover where he is."

Mrs Cooper is the woman who created, with an FBI-trained police artist working for the McCanns, a haunting sketch of the man with a distinctive handlebar moustache and protruding front teeth.

That powerful image was used in high-profile press campaigns by the McCanns in an effort to locate him.

He bears an uncanny resemblance to the man the McCanns' friend Jane Tanner saw carrying a small child in his arms and walking away from the holiday apartment on the night Madeleine vanished.

Mrs Cooper, from Newark, Notts, said in the summer of 2008 she was asked to look at footage of the suspect shot over several days in Portugal.

"He was unloading his market stall from a white van," said Mrs Cooper.

"His hair was lighter and he had shaved off the moustache but to my mind it was the same man. For me the giveaway was his protruding teeth, which were exactly the same as the man I had met in Luz.

"I was shown the footage by a person working for the McCanns' investigators who took notes of everything I said and then left but I haven't heard anything since. I asked where the film was shot but he would only say it was shot 'inland' in Portugal."

Last week the McCanns, from Rothley, Leics, appeared on GMTV calling for a review of all the evidence.

Heart specialist Mr McCann, 41, said: "I don't think it's right that, as parents, we have to drive the search."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/172651/MADELEINE-McCANN-EXCLUSIVE-NO-1-SUSPECT-IS-ON-VIDEO

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »

2nd May 2010

Sunday Express

I'll never forget Maddie snatcher's dead eyes

GAIL COOPER will never forget the day she stared into the "dead eyes" of the man she believes abducted Madeleine McCann three years ago tomorrow.

"There was just nothing in his eyes, no soul, no life, nothing," she said, drawing on a cigarette to calm her nerves as she relives the close encounter she had in Praia da Luz.

Home care coordinator Gail had hired a £2million villa in April 2007 to celebrate her 50th birthday with friends and family.

The party of 14 flew to Portugal on April 18 and Gail had a lovely first four days enjoying time with her two grandchildren in the villa's pool and at the nearby beach.

As the villa slept only nine, two couples and a boy of two stayed in the nearby Mark Warner complex – directly above apartment 5A where the McCanns stayed the next week.

On April 20 the group went to the Paraiso cafe on the beach for lunch. As they enjoyed their meal it began to rain and they noticed a scruffy man standing on the beach getting drenched in the downpour.

They drove back to the villa, where the children played in the pool and the sun shone again.

Between 4 and 5pm there was a ring on the door at the villa, which is situated in a quiet street some 20 minutes walk from the beach.

To Gail's astonishment it was the man she had seen a few hours earlier getting soaked on the beach. He was aged between 40 and 45 and about six feet tall with an olive complexion. He appeared Mediterranean but not Portuguese and spoke fairly good English, and was clean shaven apart from his moustache.

He wore a heavy cotton khaki jacket and a green or blue t-shirt and khaki combat trousers. Around his waist was a black leather bum bag.

He told Gail that he was collecting money for an orphanage in the nearby village of Espiche.

Moving from foot to foot and waving what appeared to be ID documents, he said an English couple had been killed in a motorway smash nearby and their three children were being looked after at the orphanage.

"He was very pushy and intimidating," said Gail. "He was waving his hands and came out with this story, which I didn't believe, to get me to hand over some cash. He kept staring right at me, virtually imploring me to give money, but I wouldn't.

"He spoke good English but it wasn't really with a Portuguese accent. My grandchildren were in the pool and my husband had gone out and I just wanted him to go away.

"I've been to Portugal many times and I've never had anyone come to the door asking for money before. His clothing and hair still looked wet from the rain. The whole situation was odd and made me uncomfortable. After 10 minutes or so he suddenly stopped talking and just walked off."

Gail believes the man may have followed the group from the beach and could have been looking over the villa wall at her grandchildren in the pool.

Two days later on April 22, Gail and the group saw the man again, standing near a group of children who were being taken to the beach by Mark Warner childminders.

She said: "At first it looked like he was with the children and I remember thinking maybe he was raising money for an orphanage. Then my daughter pointed out that the children weren't orphans, they were from the Mark Warner complex.

"Although he was walking near the children it was clear that he wasn't with them and I recall thinking that it all seemed a little bit odd. But I thought nothing much more of it and we carried on enjoying our holiday."

After returning home and hearing of Madeleine's abduction a week later, Gail contacted the police.

On May 21 she gave a statement to a detective from the Leicestershire force which was liaising with Portuguese officers.

In January 2008 she was contacted by the McCanns' investigators and agreed to sit for 10 hours with an artist to create the first full facial image of the suspect. "I was happy to do anything I could to help," she said.

In July she was shown film of the man working at a market and later an investigator working for the McCanns flew over to show her images of five men, none of whom she recognised.

"I have a very clear image in my mind of the man I saw and I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life," she said. "At first I just thought he was a conman but now I believe he could be much more dangerous. I will never forget his dark, dead eyes and the way he threw his arms about in a very jerky way.

"He was very agitated at the front door of the villa and he looked quite disturbed when he was wandering around on the beach in the rain. The sooner he is found the better."

Gail said her memories of what was a fantastic 50th birthday celebration have been marred by the kidnapping of Madeline.

Seldom a day passes when she doesn't think of the mysterious man.

She said: "In the early days after hearing about the kidnapping, I just had this horrible empty feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"I couldn't get the image of the man out of my head and I was racking my brains trying to remember everything he said and every detail about him.

"Had he followed the members of our group, including a boy of two, who was staying at the ocean club?

"I am left with a strong sense of frustration because this is still unresolved."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/172648/I-ll-never-forget-Maddie-snatcher-s-dead-eyes

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »

9th May 2010

Sunday Express

Madeleine suspect 'on beach snap'
DETECTIVES have been handed a photograph showing a man behaving oddly in the days before Madeleine McCann was kidnapped.

A British holidaymaker accidentally captured him in the background of a family snap taken at the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz in April 2007, days before Madeleine, then three, disappeared.

It was passed to detectives from Leicestershire who are assisting the police in Portugal. Last week we published Gail Cooper's account of her encounter with the strange man when he later came to her holiday villa in the resort, asking for money for an orphanage.

Today we reveal that one of Mrs Cooper's friends, Leanda Hodson-Mackey, took a snap of her husband Stephen, 34, and son, then aged two, and the man appeared in the background, walking along the beach during a downpour.

Although his features cannot be clearly made out, there is a rough image which could be enhanced with FBI picture improvement techniques.

Mrs Cooper, 53, from Newark, Nottinghamshire, told the Sunday Express last week she believes the same man went on to kidnap Madeleine McCann.

She had flown to Luz with a party of 13 family and friends in the week before Madeleine was taken, to celebrate her 50th birthday. Mrs Hodson-Mackey, 34, and her family spent four days at an apartment in the Mark Warner complex with Leanda's mother Trudy Dawkins, 49, and her husband Lee, 40.

The apartment was directly above apartment 5a, where the McCanns would stay the following week.

Last night Mrs Dawkins, also from Newark, said: "When we were back home it was on the news that Madeleine had disappeared and we all racked our brains to see if there was anything we could remember which would help the investigation.

"We all remembered this man walking along the beach in the rain, then Gail recalled he later went to her villa.

"Leanda had a throwaway camera. She went through the pictures she had taken and realised the man was in the background in one. Detectives took a statement from her and took away the picture, but we don't know what happened after that.

Tomorrow Madeleine's mother Kate, 42, from Rothley, Leicestershire, will meet Prince Charles at Westminster Abbey during a service to remember young victims of violence. She will be among 1,000 guests marking the anniversary of teenager Jimmy Mizen's murder in 2008, during a fight in a bakery shop in Lee, south-east London.

The families of Damilola Taylor and Ben Kinsella will also be at the "Building a Legacy of Peace" service.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/174024/Madeleine-suspect-on-beach-snap

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
16th May 2010

Sunday Express

Madeleine McCann: Is this the man who snatched her?

By James Murray
Sunday May 16, 2010

THIS is the sensational picture of a suspicious man on the beach which could lead to a breakthrough in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Snapped inadvertently in the background of a holiday photo, the mysterious man strolls along after a rain shower, staring out to sea at Praia da Luz.

The picture was taken at the Portuguese resort days before Madeleine, then three, vanished during the evening of May 3, 2007.

Briton Gail Cooper was having lunch with family and friends in a beachside cafe and taking photos when she saw him wandering along the beach, apparently in a world of his own.

"It was odd to see him walking around the beach alone in showery, cold weather." she said.

Mrs Cooper, 53, added that a few hours after the snap was taken, the same man visited her at her rented villa 20 minutes' walk from the beach. The £2million holiday property was in a quiet road near the Mark Warner complex where Madeleine and her family were staying.

During a tense conversation on the doorstep, the man sought cash with what she called "an obviously made-up story" that he was collecting money for an orphanage in a nearby town, where the children of Britons killed in a car crash were being cared for.

Just under a week after the unnerving encounter, when Mrs Cooper had returned home to Britain, Madeleine was taken from her holiday apartment.

Alarmed, Mrs Cooper contacted British detectives because of her ­concerns about the man on the beach and handed over the photograph, taken by a ­member of her holiday party.

Months later private investigators working for Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann asked Mrs Cooper to work with an FBI-trained artist to create a drawing of the man she had seen at the beach and villa.

She described him as having protruding teeth, a handlebar moustache and wind-blown dark hair. In the photo the man is ­turning slightly towards the sea, so it is not possible to tell whether he has a moustache.

However, he does appear to bear a resemblance to a man the McCanns' friend, Jane Tanner, saw walking with a child in his arms at about the time Madeleine disappeared.

Ms Tanner saw him crossing a road yards from the McCanns' apartment and it is widely believed that he was the man who abducted Madeleine.

She also worked with an artist to ­create a drawing of the man she saw. It did not include facial features as she did not see his face.

The man Ms Tanner saw, ­walking in the glare of an orange street light, was wearing light coloured trousers and a dark top and appears to have slightly hunched shoulders.

The man in the photo was also wearing light coloured trousers, a dark top and appears to have slightly rounded shoulders.

Mrs Cooper, of Newark, Nottinghamshire, said last night: "I am 98 per cent certain the man in the photo was the same man who made the strange visit to our ­holiday villa. His hair looks neater in the photo, but he is quite far in the background." The picture was given to detectives in Leicestershire who are liaising with detectives in ­Portugal, but Mrs Cooper said she was never told whether the man had been identified.

"I believe it would be useful for the investigation if he was to come forward," she added. Kate and Gerry McCann, of Rothley, Leicestershire, are hoping that new Tory Home Secretary Theresa May will call for a review of all the evidence in the case.

If you can identify the man in the photograph please call the Sunday Express on 0208 612 7073 or contact the website ­Findmadeleine.com.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/175407/Madeleine-McCann-Is-this-the-man-who-snatched-her

icabodcrane

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »
16th May 2010

Sunday Express

Madeleine McCann: Is this the man who snatched her?

By James Murray
Sunday May 16, 2010

THIS is the sensational picture of a suspicious man on the beach which could lead to a breakthrough in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Snapped inadvertently in the background of a holiday photo, the mysterious man strolls along after a rain shower, staring out to sea at Praia da Luz.

The picture was taken at the Portuguese resort days before Madeleine, then three, vanished during the evening of May 3, 2007.

Briton Gail Cooper was having lunch with family and friends in a beachside cafe and taking photos when she saw him wandering along the beach, apparently in a world of his own.

"It was odd to see him walking around the beach alone in showery, cold weather." she said.

Mrs Cooper, 53, added that a few hours after the snap was taken, the same man visited her at her rented villa 20 minutes' walk from the beach. The £2million holiday property was in a quiet road near the Mark Warner complex where Madeleine and her family were staying.

During a tense conversation on the doorstep, the man sought cash with what she called "an obviously made-up story" that he was collecting money for an orphanage in a nearby town, where the children of Britons killed in a car crash were being cared for.

Just under a week after the unnerving encounter, when Mrs Cooper had returned home to Britain, Madeleine was taken from her holiday apartment.

Alarmed, Mrs Cooper contacted British detectives because of her ­concerns about the man on the beach and handed over the photograph, taken by a ­member of her holiday party.

Months later private investigators working for Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann asked Mrs Cooper to work with an FBI-trained artist to create a drawing of the man she had seen at the beach and villa.

She described him as having protruding teeth, a handlebar moustache and wind-blown dark hair. In the photo the man is ­turning slightly towards the sea, so it is not possible to tell whether he has a moustache.

However, he does appear to bear a resemblance to a man the McCanns' friend, Jane Tanner, saw walking with a child in his arms at about the time Madeleine disappeared.

Ms Tanner saw him crossing a road yards from the McCanns' apartment and it is widely believed that he was the man who abducted Madeleine.

She also worked with an artist to ­create a drawing of the man she saw. It did not include facial features as she did not see his face.

The man Ms Tanner saw, ­walking in the glare of an orange street light, was wearing light coloured trousers and a dark top and appears to have slightly hunched shoulders.

The man in the photo was also wearing light coloured trousers, a dark top and appears to have slightly rounded shoulders.

Mrs Cooper, of Newark, Nottinghamshire, said last night: "I am 98 per cent certain the man in the photo was the same man who made the strange visit to our ­holiday villa. His hair looks neater in the photo, but he is quite far in the background." The picture was given to detectives in Leicestershire who are liaising with detectives in ­Portugal, but Mrs Cooper said she was never told whether the man had been identified.

"I believe it would be useful for the investigation if he was to come forward," she added. Kate and Gerry McCann, of Rothley, Leicestershire, are hoping that new Tory Home Secretary Theresa May will call for a review of all the evidence in the case.

If you can identify the man in the photograph please call the Sunday Express on 0208 612 7073 or contact the website ­Findmadeleine.com.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/175407/Madeleine-McCann-Is-this-the-man-who-snatched-her

God Lord ! 

That photo looks nothing like  the toothy, long haired,  yosemite Sam lookie-likee described by Gail Cooper

... it looks remarkably   like that  'innocent father'  Scotland Yard turned up recently though 

Anyone else think so  ?   

Don't quite know what to make of that ...