Author Topic: Michael Barrymore and the death of Stuart Lubbock  (Read 14674 times)

Offline Joanne

Michael Barrymore and the death of Stuart Lubbock
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
I have been watching a series about light entertainment. Last week featured Michael Barrymore.
Really he sounded like he was either ill, on drugs or drunk and I just thought about how I liked him when he was on TV because he's as mad as a box of foxes but it was my sense of humour and how bad things went for him.
I can't remember all the details of the rocky road to his downslide but from memory, it seemed to start when he left his wife (who I think was his agent) and went a bit wild, resulting in Stuart Lubbock being found in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool.
I do think Mr Lubbocks death was probably an accident as apose to anything sinister, I have never agreed with swimming pools and mixing with alcohol and drugs. Brian Jones and Rodney King being another two examples

Anyway, this is the best I can find and I would like to ask what other people thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Barrymore

Following a party in the early hours of 31 March 2001, a 31-year-old man, Stuart Lubbock, died after three witnesses - including Barrymore himself - claimed to have found him motionless in Barrymore's swimming pool. All charges were dropped when it later came to court, though witnesses could not agree on whether he was found floating on top of the pool or at the bottom of it, Barrymore had said he was top of the pool. The cause of death was found to be drowning. Lubbock, described as a "bubbly partygoer", had traces of drugs and alcohol in his system. Pathologists discovered severe anal injuries, although not until the post mortem had taken place; which the media said were consistent with a sexual assault. Many tabloid newspapers accused Barrymore of holding drug-fuelled gay orgies in his home and asserted that he must have had some responsibility for the death. It was claimed that Barrymore had been seen at the party forcing cocaine onto Lubbock's gums, an allegation Barrymore denied as false. Barrymore subsequently received a police caution for possession and use of cannabis, but no other charges were laid against him or anyone else in connection with the death, although two other party-goers, unemployed Justin Merritt and drag queen Jonathan Kenney were arrested on suspicion of murder on 6 June 2001. The inquest that took place in September 2002 reached an open verdict.

In light of the verdict, and the fact that she was approached by a friend of the Lubbock family, Cheryl provided the Lubbock family solicitor with both a sworn affidavit and subsequent court testimony that her ex-husband had lied under oath, and could in fact swim, this later proved to be not true. She also alleged the entertainer had rubbed cocaine on to the gums of other people as well as himself.

In November 2002 Barrymore's lawyers successfully demanded that Essex Police re-investigate matters surrounding Lubbock's death. Their focus was on Barrymore's allegations that the injuries inflicted upon Lubbock's body could have occurred while lying unguarded in the mortuary. A pathologist's report found that Lubbock's wounds were only four hours old at the time of the examination at 4pm, while Lubbock had been pronounced dead at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow at 8.20am that morning so there was a mysterious gap of eight hours. On his claims, Barrymore told Five Live: "We want to prove the fact that the anal injuries could not have happened at the house." He added: "If these injuries had happened then, why have the police not charged anyone with anything?" On Barrymore's high-profile return to the UK in January 2006 to take part in Celebrity Big Brother, former solicitor, politician and local activist Anthony Bennett initiated a private prosecution, comprising six charges regarding Barrymore's alleged misuse of drink and drugs on the night of Stuart Lubbock's death. The action commenced in Epping Magistrates Court in January 2006 and, on 10 February 2006, a District Judge at Southend Magistrates' Court blocked the private prosecution against Barrymore on the grounds of insufficient evidence being available for the case to continue. As has been noted above, Anthony Bennett was no longer a solicitor and was acting independently of Terry Lubbock, Stuart's father.

In an interview with Piers Morgan in the December 2006 edition of GQ magazine, Barrymore claimed there were other witnesses to the events who were hiding information.

On 2 December 2006, police announced they were re-opening the investigation into Lubbock's death. The re-investigation followed a lengthy dossier submitted by Anthony Bennett, who was now Terry Lubbock's solicitor, cataloguing a series of alleged failures by Essex Police in the original investigation and claiming that there had been an elaborate cover-up of the true circumstances of Lubbock's death. On 22 December 2006, following a successful complaint to the Press Complaints Commission by Bennett, The Sun published a letter from Terry Lubbock replying to the newspaper's five-page feature on Barrymore earlier in the year which featured Terry's meeting with Barrymore.
On 1 March 2007, the Independent Police Complaints Commission, following a complaint lodged the previous December by Terry Lubbock, announced an investigation into aspects of the police inquiry into Lubbock's death after receiving complaints from the Lubbock family. It was reported that complaints surrounded information Essex Police gave to a coroner and pathologist after Lubbock's death. In May the I.P.C.C. agreed with Terry Lubbock a schedule of no fewer than 36 separate complaints relating to the original investigation into Lubbock's death.

On 14 June 2007, Essex Police arrested Barrymore and two other men on suspicion of murder and serious sexual assault in the Lubbock case. The two other men arrested were Jonathan Kenney, Barrymore's partner at the time of the death, and Justin Merritt, an unemployed former dustman at the time, all present at the party when Stuart died, the three men were held for questioning at South Woodham Ferrers police station, Essex. This followed reports in The Harlow Herald that police had seized tapes from the home of Barrymore's literary agent Tony Cowell allegedly containing conversations between Cowell and Barrymore. On 15 June 2007, police were given permission to question Barrymore and one other man for a further 12 hours. Barrymore's solicitor Henri Brandman also confirmed his client was one of the men arrested.
Later that day Barrymore was released on police bail pending further enquiries. His solicitor stated that Barrymore "categorically denied" the allegations made and had not been charged with any offence.
On 31 July 2007, it was announced that Barrymore had been re-bailed to appear at an Essex Police station on 10 September. He answered bail on 10 September at a police station in Harlow, Essex. Police were then granted a further 12 hours to question him.On that date, Barrymore was told that he would not face charges for the events that occurred.

Offline Tim Invictus

Re: Michael Barrymore and the death of Stuart Lubbock
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
I didn't know Rodney King had died [Name removed]o .... thank's for the info.

I always liked Barrymore too; he is (was) a genuinely funny bloke and great presenter. The swimming pool death seems to be an accident caused by excessive use of booze and drugs rather than anything sinister. Just as you say Jo.

Offline goatboy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
I must admit I know little of the death of Rodney King, and what I know about Stuart Lubbock's death I only know from lurid tabloid headlines. I'm pretty sure that somebody at that party knows exactly what happened but won't say. Whether or not Barrymore is one of those people I have no idea. I do think it was just drunken and drug fuelled excess that got out of hand. Brian Jones, however, is a different story I feel and could probably be another thread on its own. While it was no secret that Jones had a penchant for drink and drugs and a not particularly iron constitution, the evidence suggests that there were traces of drugs in his urine but not in his blood which suggests he was not high on drugs. There was alcohol in his system too but this equated to about 3 1/2 pints of beer. This wouldn't have had a debilitating effect on a hardened drinker. Of course there were also people with an axe to grind about him and motives for murder who were definitely there on the night, furthermore whose testimonies don't quite ring true.There are two very good books about his death which conclude that he was murdered, "Who Killed Christopher Robin?" by Terry Rawlings, and "Paint it Black: The Murder of Brian Jones" by Geoffrey Guiliano which are well worth a read if you are interested in Jones' life and death.

Offline Myster

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:26:12 AM »
John... perhaps allowing guests to post isn't such a good idea after all.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »
Very old subject but it seems as if its not forgotten.

Michael Barrymore pool death: Detective leading new probe 'believes it was murder'
EXCLUSIVE: Essex Police have appointed DCI Stephen Jennings to re-examine events surrounding Stuart Lubbock’s death in 2001

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/cops-launching-new-investigation-rape-21412334

Barrymore: Body In The Pool is on Channel 4 on Thursday at 9pm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/barrymore-documentary-finally-can-see-light-end-tunnel-stuarts/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:21:15 AM by barrier »
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »
Whilst I accept that the police are treating this as a murder inquiry the thing that puzzles me about the case is that there were no signs of a fight or restraint on Stuart’s body - violent rape, yes, but being held down against his will, no.  Unless I have missed something...?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline barrier

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 07:24:12 PM »
Whilst I accept that the police are treating this as a murder inquiry the thing that puzzles me about the case is that there were no signs of a fight or restraint on Stuart’s body - violent rape, yes, but being held down against his will, no.  Unless I have missed something...?

Yes scroll down to listen to the 2nd and 3rd pathologist's.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10927057/michael-barrymore-pool-death-stuart-lubbock-2/
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
Very old subject but it seems as if its not forgotten.

Michael Barrymore pool death: Detective leading new probe 'believes it was murder'
EXCLUSIVE: Essex Police have appointed DCI Stephen Jennings to re-examine events surrounding Stuart Lubbock’s death in 2001

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/cops-launching-new-investigation-rape-21412334

Barrymore: Body In The Pool is on Channel 4 on Thursday at 9pm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/barrymore-documentary-finally-can-see-light-end-tunnel-stuarts/

I watched this at my friends house.What a horror story! The police did a fkup in this  investigation as well.

My friend says this about it:

The anal rape is implied as someone inserting implements into Stuart. Why?
How many were involved in this act? 1/2 people  and bystanders? OR  One person no witnesses.

For sure if this was the case, and Stuart was conscious of this happening, his screams would be heard for  a fair distance- as he wasn't gay and would have been 'Dry and Tight.

Why did Michael not ask the visitors who did this? why the silence? are they all implicated  or just the three who were arrested. the reasons he gave for running away are not believable.

My thoughts:

I think the sister was trying to protect her brother by claiming Michael was shoving coke on Stuarts gums.
The taxi driver was adamant Michael was very,very drunk.
Was Michael the prep or an unwilling shocked witness to this act.
It was a woman who got hold of Stuart at the night out as told by his brother. who was this? was this  one of the guests sister?

Did they bring Stuart to the house to torture him for 'fun'
Why is it just Barrymore who is being hounded what about the others at the house have they lost their jobs/houses?

I watched some old vids  He was  hilarious-seriously funny man.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline barrier

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
I watched this at my friends house.What a horror story! The police did a fkup in this  investigation as well.

My friend says this about it:

The anal rape is implied as someone inserting implements into Stuart. Why?
How many were involved in this act? 1/2 people  and bystanders? OR  One person no witnesses.

For sure if this was the case, and Stuart was conscious of this happening, his screams would be heard for  a fair distance- as he wasn't gay and would have been 'Dry and Tight.

Why did Michael not ask the visitors who did this? why the silence? are they all implicated  or just the three who were arrested. the reasons he gave for running away are not believable.

My thoughts:

I think the sister was trying to protect her brother by claiming Michael was shoving coke on Stuarts gums.
The taxi driver was adamant Michael was very,very drunk.
Was Michael the prep or an unwilling shocked witness to this act.
It was a woman who got hold of Stuart at the night out as told by his brother. who was this? was this  one of the guests sister?

Did they bring Stuart to the house to torture him for 'fun'
Why is it just Barrymore who is being hounded what about the others at the house have they lost their jobs/houses?

I watched some old vids  He was  hilarious-seriously funny man.

You just hope the drugs had him out of it so he never felt it.Poor chap.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »
You just hope the drugs had him out of it so he never felt it.Poor chap.

Oh God yes, How that image broke his poor father. I cried watching that poor man.

I was distracted by the fact stuart was at Michael's house (known gay man) it was assumed Stuart was gay? and to have missed by the first pathologist these finding is unbelievable really. Something wrong here.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 08:18:05 PM »
Yes scroll down to listen to the 2nd and 3rd pathologist's.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10927057/michael-barrymore-pool-death-stuart-lubbock-2/
Neither of them said there were signs of a struggle or restraint. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
Neither of them said there were signs of a struggle or restraint.

Yes, #2 watch and listen @ 01.44-  claims that there was signs of a struggle- I think he is saying   small hemorrhages in the eye which occur as if someone was being strangled or held in an arm lock.
or something.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »

Yes, #2 watch and listen @ 01.44-  claims that there was signs of a struggle- I think he is saying   small hemorrhages in the eye which occur as if someone was being strangled or held in an arm lock.
or something.
Yes ok, accepted.   I wonder though if these haemorrhages could be explained by resuscitation attempts, chest compression etc. 

Offline barrier

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »
Yes ok, accepted.   I wonder though if these haemorrhages could be explained by resuscitation attempts, chest compression etc.

Not the way the pathologist explained them.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
Not the way the pathologist explained them.

Too high up near the neck? what can't be denied the anal assault was not conducive with 'normal gay intimacy'  quoting my neighbour on this...assuming He was gay ,which I very much doubt.

I do believe he was sexually assaulted= brutally and aggressively raped. This was also  missed? hmmm