Author Topic: Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?  (Read 11319 times)

Offline John

Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?

Many of us are parents but few or any of us have suffered the pain of losing a child.  To then not know if that child is alive or dead must be intolerable.

My question is aimed at everyone, pros and [ censored word].  (God I hate that those tags)

Anyway, we have heard much about what Kate and Gerry did or didn't do after the police were called to Apartment 5a so how could they have improved on this?

Was there anything they did fundamentally wrong in your view?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:49:12 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Iggy68

Re: Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
they left those children alone in the apartment for a big start

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »

Many people do the same thing when at home or on holiday Iggy  i totally agree that it is wrong but parents do take chances sometimes and as in the McCann case it came back to bite them.

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »
I feel they ran away after they were made suspects or arguidos and couldn't get out of Portugal quick enough.   This might be a misapprehension on my behalf but this is something which stands out for me.   There is also the refusal (I believe) to take part in a reconstruction of events at the scene.   If it was my child who had disappeared I would do everything under the sun to coperate with the police and judicial authorities. 
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
I feel they ran away after they were made suspects or arguidos and couldn't get out of Portugal quick enough.   This might be a misapprehension on my behalf but this is something which stands out for me.   There is also the refusal (I believe) to take part in a reconstruction of events at the scene.   If it was my child who had disappeared I would do everything under the sun to coperate with the police and judicial authorities.

I can appreciate the views of both sides in the McCann case since I have courted both sides of the argument at different times.  That is why I asked the question as to whether they could have done anything differently.

I agree in part with what you state, they did themselves no favours by running away back to the UK but then again we don't know what turmoil they were going through behind the scenes.  Some critics mention the money being spent on foolish endeavours like corrupt so-called detectives etc.  Others criticise them for engaging professionals to pursue the search for Maddie.  My own answer to that would be, who else would do it?

registrar

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
Relevant question

apart from not supervising the children sufficently - which G&K have admitted to - which constitutes it as a given

I would have expected a modicum of humility from the parents - when ordinary folks, who'd never met them
donated money to the fund. And now the entire UK - through our taxes pays millions for the NSY 'review'.

The term 'Team McCann' - was not a media construct - it was invented by the McCanns themselves

BIG PR - mistake - teams - are associated with winning something or other - surely the matter in hand then and now was saving someone - namely Madeleine.

As for Kate's book - better not get me started on that one - I bought the thing, and showed it around the office - namely page 129 - Kate commenting on Madeleine's body. A book apparently written for the twins to read.

Not scientific at all - but the reactions went from WTF - to 'that's disgusting'

No need for that at all

48 questions - fair dinkums if she didn't want to answer those in Portimao - surely on the advice of her solicitors - but now she's not an arguido anymore - she could answer all those questions now surely?  Those questions were hardly leading - after all Gerry answered them.

Having said all that - I still don't believe the parents harmed the child and spirited away her body.

A stance and juxtaposition that had me kicked off from as many 'pro' as 'anti' forums

Life is simply not just black or white - that would be way too simplistic

Offline puglove

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

Many people do the same thing when at home or on holiday Iggy  i totally agree that it is wrong but parents do take chances sometimes and as in the McCann case it came back to bite them.

Even after Maddie was gone, they were still leaving the twins in a "kid's club." I was amazed to read that. I'm sorry to sound preachy, but I wouldn't have been able to let them out of my sight for a minute.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Iggy68

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »

Even after Maddie was gone, they were still leaving the twins in a "kid's club." I was amazed to read that. I'm sorry to sound preachy, but I wouldn't have been able to let them out of my sight for a minute.

im of the opinion that if you have kids and go on holiday then you go as a family on not just leave your children  , wether alone or attended.
i cant ever remember a time when my parents did that with me and my siblings untill we were at least able to look after ourselves

stephen25000

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
The Mccanns employed metardo3, who had no experience in finding missing children.

They promised, 'she'd be home for Christmas', the same year.

The same company who have committed criminal acts and found guilty.

Now why wouldn't you employ someone who new what they were doing and had expertise ?

registrar

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »

Nowt preachy about it - common sense - on both an emotional and intelligent level

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

They had been in Portugal for more than four months.  And The Villa Rental was running out.  They had already decided to leave at that time before they were made Arguidos.

The McCanns did not refuse to take part in a Reconstruction.

registrar

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »

They had been in Portugal for more than four months.  And The Villa Rental was running out.  They had already decided to leave at that time before they were made Arguidos.

That is true - to my understanding - some of the group however - seemed very reluctant to return to PT for a reconstruction

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »
I honestly can't see that they did anything wrong.  I had left my children in similar circumstances, which a lot of people I knew at the time were also doing.
Many, many people have subscribed to a Listening Service, and all the McCanns did was to set in place their own checking system, which was actually better than a Listening Service.
Sending the twins back to The Creche was an attempt to make their lives as normal as possible.  This was infinitely better than keeping them around worried or distraught adults 24/7.

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »

Oh sorry    8(8-))  another myth dispelled thanks   8@??)(
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »

That is true - to my understanding - some of the group however - seemed very reluctant to return to PT for a reconstruction

A year later was a bit too late, I'm afraid.  especially as many of the witnesses weren't available, or even asked to attend.