Author Topic: Are the McCanns proceeding with their libel action against Amaral ?  (Read 16200 times)

icabodcrane

The last I heard the trial was called off at the eleventh hour and terms were being discussed for an out of court settlement

Anyone know what has happened since  ?

registrar

Re: Are the McCanns proceeding with their libel action against Amaral ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
Don't know

having seen recent pictures of Amaral

he looks ill - seriously ill

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:21 PM »
The last I heard the trial was called off at the eleventh hour and terms were being discussed for an out of court settlement

Anyone know what has happened since  ?

Reports suggest that the McCanns asked Amaral for a settlement out of court and their request was rejected to the case goes ahead. When is another question.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

icabodcrane

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
Don't know

having seen recent pictures of Amaral

he looks ill - seriously ill

He's lost a great deal of weight hasn't he  ? 

Was it ever confirmed that it was the McCanns who sought an out of court settlement,  as reported by Portuguese  press and TV  ? 

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »

More likely Amaral asking for a settlement.  Bearing in mind that only The Plaintiff  can ask for a postponement.  If The McCanns wished to end it they only had to withdraw.

icabodcrane

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »

More likely Amaral asking for a settlement.  Bearing in mind that only The Plaintiff  can ask for a postponement.  If The McCanns wished to end it they only had to withdraw.

Withdrawing would look very bad though, wouldn't it  ? 

Much more likely that they would rather present what looks like a compromised settlement to the public

They havn't said anything about Amaral approaching them for an out of court settlement,  have they  ?  ...  they almost certainly would have done if that had been the case, I think

Offline gilet

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

Much more likely that they would rather present what looks like a compromised settlement to the public

They havn't said anything about Amaral approaching them for an out of court settlement,  have they  ?  ...  they almost certainly would have done if that had been the case, I think

But why would any defendant ever contemplate a request from the plaintiffs to settle out of court?

It would be a direct admission from the plaintiff that they did not believe their case held water.

Surely at that point a defendant who wanted to clear his name would want to go to court?

And in the case of Mr Amaral isn't there something lurking in the background, a further reason why he would not want to settle behind closed doors? Isn't he quoted as saying that he has got some kind of ace which he is going to reveal in court? Or is that just another myth in this case?

I think it is important to realise who the lawyer is for Mr Amaral in this case now and what direct links he has to certain Portuguese media outlets.  What we read in the press, even the Portuguese press, is not always related to the truth of the matter.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

and I think they almost certainly would not have discussed it at all, which they didn't.  And nor has Amaral.

icabodcrane

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »

But why would any defendant ever contemplate a request from the plaintiffs to settle out of court?

It would be a direct admission from the plaintiff that they did not believe their case held water.

Surely at that point a defendant who wanted to clear his name would want to go to court?

And in the case of Mr Amaral isn't there something lurking in the background, a further reason why he would not want to settle behind closed doors? Isn't he quoted as saying that he has got some kind of ace which he is going to reveal in court? Or is that just another myth in this case?

I think it is important to realise who the lawyer is for Mr Amaral in this case now and what direct links he has to certain Portuguese media outlets.  What we read in the press, even the Portuguese press, is not always related to the truth of the matter.

I know nothing about Amaral's lawyer,  but I am aware that the McCanns have a PR spokesman  ( Clarence Mitchell )  who might be expected to have informed the press if Amaral had come looking for a way to weasel out of court

Not a peep from Michell,  or any other  'source'  close to the family

That really does lead me to believe  Portuguese press and TV might be correct when they say it was the McCanns who wanted to avoid a trial at the last minute

Online Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »

Then why is The Trial going ahead?

registrar

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »

For all things 'Amaral' please contact Joana Morais
and report back here kindly
Cheers

icabodcrane

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

Then why is The Trial going ahead?

Well,  according to Portuguese press and TV  (  who were, I assume,  briefed by Amaral or his lawyer  )  it was he who was approached for an out of court settlement  ...  if the trial is going ahead I suppose that must mean he rejected the offer 

Online Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »

But you suggested that The McCanns don't want a trial. So why don't they just withdraw?

I think that this whole misunderstanding has come about because only The Plaintiff  can approach the Court for a postponement, even in the event of The Defendant requesting such.  So, easy to assume wrongly that The McCanns want this, when in fact it is much more likely to be Amaral.
And why would The McCanns make Amaral any sort of offer when they can just walk away?  What people think is irrelevant.

icabodcrane

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »

But you suggested that The McCanns don't want a trial. So why don't they just withdraw?

I think that this whole misunderstanding has come about because only The Plaintiff  can approach the Court for a postponement, even in the event of The Defendant requesting such.  So, easy to assume wrongly that The McCanns want this, when in fact it is much more likely to be Amaral.
And why would The McCanns make Amaral any sort of offer when they can just walk away?  What people think is irrelevant.

Well,  there are no judicial secrecy laws in place now ...  the McCanns are at liberty to clear up any  'misunderstanding'  by instructing their paid spokesman to tell the press and public what has happened

Offline gilet

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »

Well,  there are no judicial secrecy laws in place now ...  the McCanns are at liberty to clear up any  'misunderstanding'  by instructing their paid spokesman to tell the press and public what has happened

Is that true on either count?

Could you please explain how you know that Clarence Mitchell is still a "paid" spokesman?  Or are you just making a presumption that he is?

And secondly, is there some reason why this case is not subject to judicial secrecy when the earlier case was? I was not aware that judicial secrecy is not relevant to some cases in Portugal. Perhaps you could explain why this one is not subject to it?