Author Topic: The Government's mishandling of the Covid-19 epidemic.  (Read 11874 times)

Offline APRIL

Re: The Government's mishandling of the Covid-19 epidemic.
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »
What are peoples' feelings about the guidance we've been given. Is it right that there have been loopholes, as in, we should apply our common sense, OR should there have been hard and fast rules with attached penalties if broken?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
What are peoples' feelings about the guidance we've been given. Is it right that there have been loopholes, as in, we should apply our common sense, OR should there have been hard and fast rules with attached penalties if broken?

Well, I would prefer to be left to use my common sense, and I think my only breach of the rules was taking the dog out more than once a day, which caused nobody any harm, since I could easily complete two dog walks without seeing anyone (it's very different now).   However, a number of people cannot be trusted to behave sensibly, eg those who were caught jumping off Durdle Door a couple of weeks ago.  So, as much as it pains me (I am more of a libertarian than I thought I was), I have to conclude that we probably did need hard rules and hard penalties.

I think the politicians also need to use their common sense.  I'm assuming the objective was to prevent contact between people. Where I live, it is far easier to avoid that than it is in a city centre, so a "blanket rule" for every part of the country  was inappropriate.   Same with that ghastly proposal (fortunately, never implemented) that anyone over 70 shouldnt leave home, when some over 70s are very fit for their age, and some  still go to  work.

My main worry about this lockdown is that I suspect we now have a fair number of people (of all ages), who believe that , if they step outside their front door, they stand a good chance of dying.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
Well, I would prefer to be left to use my common sense, and I think my only breach of the rules was taking the dog out more than once a day, which caused nobody any harm, since I could easily complete two dog walks without seeing anyone (it's very different now).   However, a number of people cannot be trusted to behave sensibly, eg those who were caught jumping off Durdle Door a couple of weeks ago.  So, as much as it pains me (I am more of a libertarian than I thought I was), I have to conclude that we probably did need hard rules and hard penalties.

I think the politicians also need to use their common sense.  I'm assuming the objective was to prevent contact between people. Where I live, it is far easier to avoid that than it is in a city centre, so a "blanket rule" for every part of the country  was inappropriate.   Same with that ghastly proposal (fortunately, never implemented) that anyone over 70 shouldnt leave home, when some over 70s are very fit for their age, and some  still go to  work.

My main worry about this lockdown is that I suspect we now have a fair number of people (of all ages), who believe that , if they step outside their front door, they stand a good chance of dying.

Mrswah, you've clearly thought about that response AND employed a common sense which seems to run parallel with my own. There's little more I can add.

Like you, I'm concerned that there will be those who never set foot outside their doors again. Covid grips in more ways than one and I feel certain that mental health services will be overrun, when this is over, with those who are suffering.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »

Mrswah, you've clearly thought about that response AND employed a common sense which seems to run parallel with my own. There's little more I can add.

Like you, I'm concerned that there will be those who never set foot outside their doors again. Covid grips in more ways than one and I feel certain that mental health services will be overrun, when this is over, with those who are suffering.

So, how do you feel about the rules, April?

I hope some more people are going to post-----I'm interested!

Offline APRIL

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
So, how do you feel about the rules, April?

I hope some more people are going to post-----I'm interested!

Mrswah, I can only speak for myself, of course. I'm not a natural rule-breaker -although I can't say that I wouldn't 'fudge' them a little- so I'd follow 99% of them. That's not to say I wouldn't grizzle, mind you, but I think I'd feel more guilty about passing it on, than worried about catching it. (that could be the subject of an interesting poll)

I can't imagine "they" didn't take on board that not everyone would stick to the rules. I'm guessing they relied on enough people like me sticking to them to redress the balance.

Offline Carana

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »
An example of why I thought it mad not to ask for an extension...

The government has written to to medicine suppliers urging them to stockpile drugs for a possible no-deal in EU trade talks at the end of the year – after firms warned that this may not be possible because of the pandemic.

In a letter made public on Monday officials at the health department said the government recognises “that global supply chains are under significant pressure” because of coronavirus, but said the expensive precaution was still necessary.

In June a pharmaceutical industry memo said original stockpiles meant for no deal had been “used up entirely” and that it might not be possible to replenish them before December, when the UK is due to leave the single market.

Boris Johnson refused to extend the Brexit transition period last month despite disruption caused by coronavirus and the fact the UK is facing a cliff edge at the end of the year.

Flagging trade talks mean it is increasingly likely that Britain will leave the single market without any trade agreement at all, with disruption to trade and supply chains expected.

More here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-no-deal-brexit-government-medicine-stockpiling-a9651991.html

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Trolling the government with a mass slow hand clap is the first form of this doorstep hand clapping ritual that I approve of.

Even though I think all nurses who danced on Tik Tok should be having their pay reduced.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/05/public-urged-to-join-slow-handclap-protest-against-1-nhs-pay-rise
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
I think that any government would have struggled with this problem, so I don't think complaining is either fair, useful or constructive. Our health and safety is our responsibility, not just the government's. I find it hard to sympathise with those who moan about lockdown or about missing their holidays.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
I think that any government would have struggled with this problem, so I don't think complaining is either fair, useful or constructive. Our health and safety is our responsibility, not just the government's. I find it hard to sympathise with those who moan about lockdown or about missing their holidays.
Possibly the only post of yours I’ve ever agreed with.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
Possibly the only post of yours I’ve ever agreed with.

I'm just grateful that I have a decent home, enough money to buy food, and a health service that still managed to see me and run tests to make sure I was OK when there were questions about my heart last year. I'm sure there are places on this planet where people don't have those basic needs met. I'm sure our government is doing it's best to keep everyone safe, and the rest is up to us. We need to count our blessings, grit our teeth, and cope with the measures designed to keep us safe.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »
Hello all.
Today's figures here give much hope.
543 new cases.
296 people in hospital.
26 in intensive care .
Sadly 6 new deaths.
Vaccinations progressing well....both hubby and I vaccinated six weeks ago and our two elder sons aged 50 and 49 also done.
The baby ....47 still waiting.
Wishing everyone a return to a much better and safer and less  conscriptive way of life.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
I have little time for Dominic Cummings, primarily due to his role in Brexit.

However, quite a bit of his input into the Covid Parliamentary Committee sounds pretty much as I'd surmised: denial and utter chaos. A dubious accolade also no doubt shared by quite a few countries.

Streamed version (7hrs+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiCqtEOFfU

Twitter snippets via https://twitter.com/BethRigby

Offline Carana

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
Although Cummings' testimony seems genuine (for the moment), my nose is still twitching.

A whiff of a coup d'état in the making? He has it in for BoJo and Hancock (I've long thought that they were both useless), but had little to say about Gove or a few others that I'd also found somewhere on the scale between useless and devious.

Interesting. Having a look at his Wiki page:

From 2007 to 2014, he was a special adviser to Michael Gove, including the time that Gove served as Education Secretary, leaving when Gove was made Chief Whip in a cabinet reshuffle. From 2015 to 2016, Cummings was director of Vote Leave, an organisation which successfully executed the 2016 referendum campaign for Britain's exit from the European Union.

After Johnson was appointed prime minister in July 2019, Cummings was appointed as Chief Adviser to the Prime Minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Cummings

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »

Mandatory public vaccines in Greece, monthly fines for over 60's who don't comply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59474808

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Carana

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »
Mandatory public vaccines in Greece, monthly fines for over 60's who don't comply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59474808

Not the only country going down that route, apparently.