Author Topic: The Brexit deal's been done!  (Read 16839 times)

Offline Angelo222

Re: The Brexit deal's been done!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
It seems Britain’s fishermen feel let down by the deal
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/26/deal-fishing-industry-boris-johnson-betrayal-eu-demands?fbclid=IwAR3kVRI97r_0Ju6CbTPzHAhFQlXMhzbxqXIcOL5kumUvX4qvEWbINZpYsS0

I agree with them. Johnson used the fishing card and gave up some fishing rights for 5½ years so that he could achieve his free no-tariff deal on more major economic issues.  At the end of the day everyone had to give some ground otherwise the whole of the EU including the UK could have been disrupted for years.

What's hidden within the pages of this agreement however are penalties which will have to be paid if either side stray from it.  Also hidden are the significant cost for all exporters and importers in complying with the so-called tariff-free agreement. Or to put it another way, there might be no tariffs but there are additional costs involved in moving products abroad.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:04:25 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »
I think Boris has proved his critics wrong in gaining an excellent exit deal with fishing and German car experts playing an important role. Germany didn't want to lose the UK car market and UK  fishermen have had their quotas increased. All in all a good result

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »
I think Boris has proved his critics wrong in gaining an excellent exit deal with fishing and German car experts playing an important role. Germany didn't want to lose the UK car market and UK  fishermen have had their quotas increased. All in all a good result

I'm not a fan of the Conservative Party or of Johnson, but I agree. He was strong and determined to deliver what the majority voted for. As a result the EU, who believed he would leave without a deal, were forced to compromise and agree to a deal they needed just as much as the UK did.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »
At the end of the day he has negotiated a deal for us that is worse overall than the one we had when we were part of the EU, but this is what the British people wanted (apparently).  Worse terms with our nearest neighbours in exhange for the (IMO) myth of “taking back control”.   Describing this as an excellent turn of events for Britain now is massively premature imo.  However, if we are a more prosperous, happier, greener, more united nation that has successfully managed to reverse net migration figures (and doing so without causing massive damage to the NHS and other other organisations that rely heavily on immigration) by the time of the next election I will eat my words and do something I have never done before - vote Tory.  And the likelihood of this happening?  About nil I would say.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 08:20:35 PM »
At the end of the day he has negotiated a deal for us that is worse overall than the one we had when we were part of the EU, but this is what the British people wanted (apparently).  Worse terms with our nearest neighbours in exhange for the (IMO) myth of “taking back control”.   Describing this as an excellent turn of events for Britain now is massively premature imo.  However, if we are a more prosperous, happier, greener, more united nation that has successfully managed to reverse net migration figures (and doing so without causing massive damage to the NHS and other other organisations that rely heavily on immigration) by the time of the next election I will eat my words and do something I have never done before - vote Tory.  And the likelihood of this happening?  About nil I would say.

I think you are missing the big picture VS.  The trade exchange between the UK and the EU will continue unaltered but the UK is now free to make any deals it wants with the rest of the world. Big gain in anyone's book.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
I think you are missing the big picture VS.  The trade exchange between the UK and the EU will continue unaltered but the UK is now free to make any deals it wants with the rest of the world. Big gain in anyone's book.
I’m not missing anything and as I said before if in four years time we end up in a much better place as a nation then I will eat my words and that’s the time for you to say “I told you so”, not before IMO.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »
I’m not missing anything and as I said before if in four years time we end up in a much better place as a nation then I will eat my words and that’s the time for you to say “I told you so”, not before IMO.

I take it you are Scottish VS, everything is so depressing and negative with you.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
I take it you are Scottish VS, everything is so depressing and negative with you.

@)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »
Andrew Locker, chairman of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO), said that the fishing industry had been “betrayed” by Mr Johnson.

“I am angry, disappointed and betrayed,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “Boris Johnson promised us the rights to all the fish that swim in our exclusive economic zone and we have got a fraction of that.”

He said his own family firm, Locker Trawlers in Whitby, would be worse off than before under the deal.

“We are absolutely worse off,” he said. “When we were within the EU we used to trade fish with the EU. We used to swap things we didn’t use with fish that they didn't use and that enabled us to put together an annual fishing plan. What we have got now is a fraction of what we were promised through Brexit. We are going to really, really struggle this year.

“When Boris Johnson and his government promised Brexit to the fishermen he promised none of us would be worse off. There is a considerable amount of fishermen — small families, small communities — absolutely worse off by this deal.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 02:45:47 PM »
Nope, I'm English.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 02:51:24 PM »
Andrew Locker, chairman of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO), said that the fishing industry had been “betrayed” by Mr Johnson.

“I am angry, disappointed and betrayed,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “Boris Johnson promised us the rights to all the fish that swim in our exclusive economic zone and we have got a fraction of that.”

He said his own family firm, Locker Trawlers in Whitby, would be worse off than before under the deal.

“We are absolutely worse off,” he said. “When we were within the EU we used to trade fish with the EU. We used to swap things we didn’t use with fish that they didn't use and that enabled us to put together an annual fishing plan. What we have got now is a fraction of what we were promised through Brexit. We are going to really, really struggle this year.

“When Boris Johnson and his government promised Brexit to the fishermen he promised none of us would be worse off. There is a considerable amount of fishermen — small families, small communities — absolutely worse off by this deal.”

It's not a utopian world VS, there will always be losers and moaners but most people will benefit. There will be new trawlers built and bought over the next five years to take advantage of this great new opportunity. You can't please everybody all of the time.

In fact I think you are being very shortsighted in not embracing this great opportunity that Johnson has negotiated for us all.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »
It's not a utopian world VS, there will always be losers and moaners but most people will benefit. There will be new trawlers built and bought over the next five years to take advantage of this great new opportunity. You can't please everybody all of the time.

In fact I think you are being very shortsighted in not embracing this great opportunity that Johnson has negotiated for us all.
It doesn't matter whether I embrace it or not, the outcome will be the same, whatever that may be, but if you think I'm going to be celebrating and waving flags you've got another think coming. 

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »
It doesn't matter whether I embrace it or not, the outcome will be the same, whatever that may be, but if you think I'm going to be celebrating and waving flags you've got another think coming.

Spoil sport...there just ain't pleasing some people.   @)(++(*

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2020, 09:39:43 AM »
Spoil sport...there just ain't pleasing some people.   @)(++(*

Bad losers?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2020, 09:55:29 AM »
Bad losers?
The pair of you are just trying to goad which is bad form for moderators imo.  Give me one good reason why anyone who was happy to be part of the EU and who voted to remain should be celebrating and waving flags about the present situation?  The only thing I am pleased about is that at least we are not leaving on WTO terms which even the most hardened Brexiteer must now finally admit would have been an absolute disaster for all.