Disappeared and Abducted Children and Young Adults > Madeleine McCann (3) disappeared from her parent's holiday apartment at Ocean Club, Praia da Luz, Portugal on 3 May 2007. No trace of her has ever been found.

Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy

(1/105) > >>

debunker:
Additionally for the true possible marking of Cadaver scent, as this involves two reactions rather than one, the accuracy is 9/10 squared or about 8 out of ten- one suggestion in five will be an error.

Centaur:
I don't believe you can put a figure on the accuracy as there are to many external factors which have to be taken into account.  If you gave every dog the same test then compared the results then I would accept the findings but sporadic results combined are worthless.

debunker:

--- Quote from: Centaur on April 28, 2013, 12:58:32 PM ---I don't believe you can put a figure on the accuracy as there are to many external factors which have to be taken into account.  If you gave every dog the same test then compared the results then I would accept the findings but sporadic results combined are worthless.

--- End quote ---

If every peer reviewed test of dogs showed a maximunm accuracy of about 90% then it is quite valid to assume that no dog is an outlier with accuracy over a long p[eriod any better than the average unless the are specifically tetsed. That is how science works.

There is no evidence that Eddie is better than any other dog- in fact there is no reliable unbiased evidence at all available about Eddie's accuracy

Centaur:
Thats what I mean it is all based on the results provided by people who have their own agenda to succeed and make lots of cash.

debunker:

--- Quote from: Centaur on April 28, 2013, 01:18:50 PM ---Thats what I mean it is all based on the results provided by people who have their own agenda to succeed and make lots of cash.

--- End quote ---

You misunderstand debate and the scientific method.

No-one hags so far produced a peer reviewed experiment where scent dogs have a greater than 90% accuracy in real life situations. It seems to be the best available estimate- some being as low as 35% and a few as high as 90%.

My views are immaterial- anyone else is welcome to provide a reference for any published experiment with better proof of accuracy.

That is how science and forensics works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version