Author Topic: Raymond Hewlett  (Read 12609 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Raymond Hewlett
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »
Some of the first media reports on Raymond Hewlett as a person of interest.

Sky News 21st May 2009

'New Suspect In Madeleine Case'
Investigators searching for Madeleine McCann say they are interested in talking to a man they've named as Raymond Hewlett. Speaking to Sky News, spokesman for the family Clarence Mitchell has stressed that this is just one line of inquiry out of many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9CusjzoMiHI

Daily Mirror 22nd May 2009

'Madeleine McCann search team probe convicted British paedophile'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-search-team-probe-395481

The Sun, 22 May 2009

'Maddie: Paedo suspect'

By ANTONELLA LAZZERI and SIMON HUGHES

A CONVICTED British paedophile on the run is a key suspect in the Madeleine McCann abduction mystery.

He is Raymond Hewlett, 64, originally from Yorkshire but living in Portugal less than an hour from the McCann's holiday home when she was snatched.

Hewlett has been traced to a German hospital - where he is undergoing treatment for cancer - by the McCann's own team of former cops who are believed to have had him under investigation.

Last night it was understood members of the team were on the ground in Germany pursuing their inquiries.

Hewlett was quizzed by Portuguese cops investigating the toddler's disappearance but was given an alibi by a 15-year-old girl.

Sources close to the British investigation into the snatch say that he is now of renewed interest because of bizarre comments he made about the case to friends and family.

Details of his oddball comments were passed earlier this year to a team of British private detectives probing the abduction.

It is also understood that his alibi has been challenged.

Last night the McCann's official spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "We are aware of Raymond Hewlett and the claims that have been made about him.

"The investigators searching for Madeleine are currently looking into the circumstances surrounding these claims.

"He is an individual of interest to the investigation."

Hewlett has convictions for two violent sex attacks on young girls dating back to the 1970's.

A source close to the British investigation added: "He was looked at by Portuguese police a number of times in the days after Maddie was taken.

"He made strange comments about Maddie and other children.

"The reason he is back in the frame is because people near to him who have spoken to him since have become suspicious because of comments he has made to them about Maddie.

"There were several conversations which made them suspicious.

"Other people have begun to doubt the truth of his alibi.

"They were sufficently worried to go to the police again but they felt nothing was being done to fully investigate him.

"It was after this that he was named as a person of interest to the McCann's own investigators."

Investigators have shown Hewlett's photograph to several witnesses who believe they may have seen Maddie's abductor on the night, May 3rd 2007, she went missing and in the days leading up to her abduction.

One eye witness commented on the similarity between his appearance and a photo fit of a mystery man seen by Jane Tanner, one of the Tapas Seven, who believes she saw carrying Maddie away in his arms on the night she disappeared.

Jane described him as having "greasy, long, dark hair."

The source close to the investigation revealed: "There are some photos of Hewlett where he looks eerily like the man Jane believes she saw, especially his hair."

Hewlett who's believed to have fathered at least nine children has worked in the past on travelling fairs and as a trawlerman. He is a serial child sex offender who has also had a string of underage teenage girlfriends.

The former Scots Guardsman has a long record of sex attacks on young girls and is wanted by police in the UK and Ireland.

The source said: "He lived less than an hour away from Praia da Luz. There are suggestions that he talked about children being bought and sold as well as the Maddie case in the weeks after she went missing.

"He has also said things subsequently which have made people suspicious about him. Portuguese authorities are aware of him, he was spoken to soon after Maddie went missing.

"He left Portugal and effectively went on the 'run'. He has travelled extensively through Europe and other countries. We believe he is currently wanted by several police forces.

"Hewlett is of enough interest for photographs of him to have been shown to the key witnesses."

"During some conversations, which disturbed those who know him enough to make them alert authorities, he is alleged to have said he 'knew what was going' when he was talking about Maddie.

Seven years ago Hewlett was the subject of a global police alert after he was linked to the unsolved murder of a girl but he was subsequently cleared by DNA evidence.

He denies being involved in Maddie's disappearance.

Last night a source close to the McCann's said: "Kate and Gerry are aware of Hewlett. It is obviously worrying for them given his horrific background."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2444196/Brit-Maddie-suspect-in-intensive-care.html

Daily Mail 25th May 2009

Monster boasted he knew Maddie resort Praia da Luz 'very well'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187064/Madeleine-detectives-DNA-test-paedophile-suspect-Raymond-Hewlett.html

*The Daily Mail placed Hewletts picture alongside Gail Cooper's 'Creepy Man'.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:37:03 AM by John »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Raymond Hewlett
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:12:01 PM »

Daily Mail 27th May 2009

Hewlett insists he has 'done nothing wrong''

'Madeleine McCann hunters claim the Algarve is awash with paedophiles'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187435/Madeleine-McCann-hunters-claim-Algarve-awash-paedophiles.html

Daily Star 28th May 2009

'Paedo paradise'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/82401/Paedo-paradise
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:54:51 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

The Sun 6th June 2009 (online article removed)

'I saw Maddie twice, admits paedo suspect'
By ANTONELLA LAZZERI

CHILD-SEX fiend Raymond Hewlett has sensationally admitted he TWICE saw Madeleine McCann before she vanished.

Hewlett, 64, claimed he was at the holiday resort where Maddie was kidnapped - and got so close to her that he could see the distinctive flaw in her right eye.

The pervert - who has a string of convictions for sexually assaulting young girls - is said to have made his confession to police who questioned him about a 1975 attack on an eight-year-old.

That is a dramatic U-turn after Hewlett previously claimed he had never been near the Ocean Club holiday complex in Praia da Luz, Portugal - where Maddie disappeared days before her fourth birthday in May 2007.

Two senior officers from West Yorkshire Police travelled to Germany, where Hewlett is in hospital being treated for throat cancer.

A source close to the investigation said Hewlett told the cops he had been to the Ocean Club and seen Maddie.

The source added: "He said he had seen her at least two times and had wandered around the complex several times.

"He said he had been so close to Maddie he was able to see the distinctive mark in her right eye.

"He didn't say why he had previously denied ever being in Praia da Luz. It's obviously a disturbing development."

Last night Clarence Mitchell, official spokesman for Maddie's parents Gerry and Kate, said it was vital Hewlett now spoke to private investigators employed by the family to find Maddie.

Payment

He said: "If Mr Hewlett has any credible information about Madeleine it is absolutely imperative that he should speak to the investigators as a priority.

"Mr Hewlett and his representatives must do the right thing and allow the private investigators to do their work."

Hewlett, originally from Todmorden, West Yorks, refused to see the McCanns' investigators when they flew to Germany two weeks ago. He now says he will talk to them - if he is paid.

But Mr Mitchell said: "No payment will be made for any such interview."

Hewlett has also employed a lawyer to try to sell his story to newspapers for thousands of pounds.

The source said: "There are fears he's trying to cash in on Maddie, and it may be that he has made these claims to get more money. Whatever his motives, he needs to be seen by the investigators because he may have vital information."

Hewlett emerged as a suspect in Maddie's abduction after it was revealed he was living at a campsite nearby in May 2007. British tourists who spoke to him said he was "obsessed" with the case.

Police wanting to quiz Hewlett over the 1975 assault had been unable to trace him as he travelled around Europe and Morocco after being released from prison. His lawyer in Germany says he only has weeks to live.

Hewlett has now provided cops with a DNA sample which will be compared to evidence from 1975.

Any information he provided about Maddie, from Rothley, Leics, will be passed to the Leicestershire Police task force.

Officially, the West Yorkshire officers questioned Hewlett only about the 1975 attack.

A spokesman said: "Our understanding is that no questioning of Raymond Hewlett about Madeleine McCann was undertaken by our officers as that has nothing to do with our case."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:11:08 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

Daily Mirror 6th June 2009

Paedo Ray Hewlett says:  "I've never seen Maddie before"
Dying pervert denies claims he admitted seeing Madeleine McCann before she vanished

The prime 'person of interest' of hired cops probing Maddie McCann's disappearance insisted last night:
"I've never set eyes on her."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paedo-ray-hewlett-says-ive-398462
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:11:32 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
14th June 2009

Sunday Mirror (print version)

Madeleine: Key suspect talks for first time

'But I didn't kill Maddie'

EXCLUSIVE
By Simon Wright in Aachen, Germany

YES I'm a convicted paedophile
YES I lived near Praia Da Luz
YES I look like police drawing
YES I did flee area to Morocco

Why McCanns want to quiz him

* He's a convicted paedophile who has served UK jail sentences for sex attacks on children
* Lived an hour's drive from Praia Da Luz at the time Maddie vanished
* Bears a striking resemblance to the pock-marked suspect seen acting suspiciously near the Ocean Club
* He refuses to give a specific alibi
* Gave DNA samples but was never quizzed or eliminated
* Told a friend he knew the Ocean Club complex and visited Prai da Luz
* He fled across sea to Morocco soon after Madeleine was taken

Why he claims he's innocent

* He says he was 60 miles away from Praia Da Luz on May 3, 2007
* Insists he hasn't even been there since 2002
* His only way of driving to Praia Da Luz, his converted Dodge truck, was home to wife and six children
* He appears on a home video filmed on May 5, 2007 – just two days after Madeleine vanished – looking totally calm and relaxed
* Insists he has alibi from un-named pal he doesn't want to 'drag into it'

The convicted child rapist – who has been catapulted into the frame over the hunt for Madeleine – sits hunched up in a squalid German flat, gasping for breath as he finally breaks his silence.

"It's obvious why they're interested in me," croaks Hewlett, 64. "But they can all think what they like. I didn't kill the McCann girl. It's the truth and it's never going to change."

The man jailed three times for sex attacks on girls today speaks out for the first time in a bid to clear his name amid the mountain of circumstantial evidence against him.

Hewlett, who has been in hiding ever since he was named in connection with the case, admits he was in the Algarve at the time Madeleine was snatched and, as our pictures show, that he looks strikingly similar to a sketch of a suspect with a pock-marked face seen lurking around the apartment.

And five weeks after she disappeared, he left Portugal for Morocco for a two-month-long "business trip".

He told Peter Verran, a tourist he befriended there, that he'd become obsessed with the case and he admitted being outside the McCanns' holiday flat in Praia da Luz "many times" and parking his van close to the complex.

What's more he is REFUSING to give an alibi for the night Madeleine, three, vanished.

"I have an alibi but why should I share it?" he says, struggling for air with each syllable.

"There is a person who can say where I was that day, but why should I bring them into this? I've done nothing wrong. Why should I have to prove it?

"My life's been made a misery for something I know nothing about and a crime I've not committed.

"I'd take a lie-detector test. I'll take any test you like. The only time I've seen Madeleine McCann is on missing posters. And I saw her on TV in a bar once. But I've never seen her in real life. Yes I've been to Praia da Luz, but not since 2002."

But those claims contradict what former Scots Guard Mr Verran, 46, says Hewlett told him – that he was in and around Praia da Luz at the time Madeleine disappeared in May 2007.

The McCanns' private detectives first became aware of father-of-six Hewlett in February this year when his name was given to them during local door-to-door inquiries.

His distinctive live-in Dodge truck, large family and bizarre nomad lifestyle singled him out. Further checks into his past revealed his previous convictions in Britain, including the rape of a 12-year-old girl he lured into his car and then drugged with paint stripper, an attempted rape of a 14-year-old girl he snatched from a fair and threatened with a fake gun and the abduction of a 14-year-old newspaper delivery girl. The McCanns' investigators began searching for him, keen to eliminate him from inquiries.

Portuguese detectives told UK officers they were unaware of his existence until the McCann team uncovered his name.

But bizarrely, Hewlett tells the Sunday Mirror he was visited twice by Portuguese police over the Maddie case and gave detectives a DNA swab and fingerprints, although he was never arrested or quizzed.

The McCanns' investigators are unsure whether to believe him or the detectives in Portugal. Hewlett says that Portuguese police, acting on unknown information, swooped on his truck while he was had throat cancer treatment across the border in Spain in August 2008. He also says that local police helping in the search for Maddie visited him, wife Mariana and their children in the summer of 2007.

He says: "They checked that all the children living with us were ours. Our youngest girl looks a bit like her. But they saw everything was OK and they left.

"The police came again in August last year and told Mariana it was about the McCann girl. They asked for me and Mariana told them I was in hospital. They came to see me and asked permission to take DNA and fingerprints. I was very sick and barely able to speak to them. They asked where we parked in the Algarve in the first half of 2007.

"I told them, 'You know where we've been because you know us round there.'

"I knew why they were asking, because I'd seen the TV and newspapers. By then, that McCann kid's photo was in every shop and supermarket you went into. I've got previous convictions for child-sex crimes so my heart sank. I thought, 'Oh no, here we go again.' I was miles from the UK but it didn't make any difference. I'd tried hard to build a new life. But the reality for me is that my past convictions will never go away. I have to put up with it because it's always going to be this way. I gave them their DNA and fingerprints. I knew they were just doing their job but I was angry. I had enough to cope with. I had cancer and no money."

At the time Madeleine vanished, Hewlett and his family were moving between three towns in the Algarve – Vila Real de Santo Antonio, Fuzeta and Tavira – all within 60 miles of Praia da Luz. They scraped money together by picking up unwanted jumble and old car parts, then selling them on.

Hewlett – originally from Todmorden, West Yorks – and Mariana first arrived in Portugal from her native Germany in the summer of 2002. They had been together five years after meeting in Italy. He was a mechanic on a tourist boat and Mariana worked as a cleaner for the boat's owners on the Mediterranean island of Elba.

They embarked on a tour of Europe in the converted Dodge truck. He had installed beds for their children, a sink, cooker and shower. At that point the couple had four children – David, 10, who died when he fell from their moving truck in December last year, Michael, nine, Anya, eight, and Jobe, seven, who were all born in Germany. Yanina, six, and Paul, three, were born during their travels across the Algarve, and the youngest Daniel, now six-anda-half months, was born in Spain.

"We'd stop in various places and decide whether to hang around there," he says. "It would depend on the weather and how easy it was to make money.

"I used to busk on the street, playing guitar. I can't really play but people would give me money anyway."

Hewlett says he was 60 miles away – in Vila Real de Santo Antonio – when Maddie was taken. Crucially, he says he cannot specifically remember being there that day.

"May 3 was a Thursday and I was always in Vila Real Santo Antonio on Thursdays," he says. "My routine never altered. That's 100km from Praia da Luz.

"If you asked people there if we were there on that day, I don't know what they'd say. Maybe they can't remember. If you ask them if we were normally there, they'd say yes. If it wasn't for the fact that we were living the way we were, I wouldn't be able to say so clearly that that was where I was.

"It's only because of the way we live that I can say it. As far as I'm concerned, I don't have to prove anything.

"Our truck was our only vehicle. I didn't have another vehicle to go anywhere in. It's a highprofile vehicle. Once you see it, you never forget it. It was like that purposefully because I wanted people to see us. I didn't want to be hiding."

But he claims that a female friend who shot a home video of him and his family on May 5 – two days after Maddie vanished – could vouch for his whereabouts on May 3.

The 30-minute video – seen by the Sunday Mirror – shows Hewlett, Mariana and their seven children laughing at the camera and playing games with each other at a market they regularly attended in the Portuguese town of Fuzeta every Sunday, less than 40 miles from Praia da Luz.

His youngest daughter Yanina bears a striking resemblance to missing Maddie. He says: "The friend who made the video would remember where I was two days earlier. She could tell anyone where I was. But I haven't asked her and I don't intend to.

"Why should I ask her? I don't think I should involve anybody. Why should I keep dragging people in to this. I don't like being in it, so why should I keep putting people's names forward so that they get bothered with it too?

"I could ask her, but if she says no, then sorry, the answer is no. Then people will just have to carry on speculating."

A month later, on June 10, Hewlett left Portugal and took his family to Morocco.

He said: "A friend gave me a broken old Mercedes and I stripped it down into parts.

"I knew they were worth a fortune in Morocco because I'd been there for a couple of months in 2005. You can even get good money for Mercedes nuts and bolts there.

"I knew people on the docks at Faro and I got the captain of a ferry to take us over for free. We stayed in Morocco for two months and came back in the August. I made 300 euros from the car parts."

His voice so weak it is at times barely audible, today Hewlett is holed up in his cramped, sparse apartment, with Mariana, 33, and the six young children.

The family arrived there six weeks ago as his health deteriorated, and Mariana is able to get state benefits.

Hewlett was last month tracked down by the McCanns' detectives to a hospital in Aachen, Germany, where he was undergoing treatment. The detectives had hoped to put a series of questions to him but he refused to see them and they were forced to return to the UK empty-handed.

This week, they travelled there for a second time but he was deemed too ill to undergo intensive questioning.

Today as he wastes away on the fourth floor of a tower block, Hewlett is close to death. Doctors discharged him from hospital, telling him there is nothing more they can do for him, and his weight has plummeted to just 45kg. Instead of expressing sympathy for Kate and Gerry McCann, he insists people should feel sorry for him.

"I would say to the McCanns that I know what it's like to lose a child because it's happened to me recently," he says.

"I've been through hell and now I've got another hell which I don't deserve. I know for a fact that I didn't do anything wrong, but if people aren't listening, what can you do?"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:11:54 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
15th June 2009

Daily Star

'I didn't grab Maddie, but I won't tell you where I was' - Sicko

"I'd take a lie-detector test. The only time I've seen Madeleine McCann is on missing posters.

"And I saw her on TV in a bar once. But I've never seen her in real life.

"They can all think what they like. I didn't kill the McCann girl.

"It's the truth and it's never going to change."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/84935/I-didn-t-grab-Maddie-but-I-won-t-tell-you-where-I-was-sicko
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:12:17 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
19th June 2009

Daily Mirror (front page print edition)

'Maddy Man's Lie'
Paedo's story falling apart

* SUSPECT Hewlett told lies over truck

EXCLUSIVE
By Stephen Moyes
Friday June 19, 2009

Madeleine McCann suspect Raymond hewlett is today sensationally back in the frame after being caught lying.

The paedophile insisted he drove only a distinctive blue truck at the time the youngster vanished.

But former pal Peter Verran, 46, says Hewlett, 64, had a white Mercedes van - similar to one seen near the McCanns' apartment.

A source close to the investigation said: "This could be very significant."

Full Mirror article

'Maddy paedo said this was only vehicle he had'

By Stephen Moyes
19/06/2009

EXCLUSIVE: But really he was driving a van similar to this..

Pervert Raymond Hewlett's lies were unravelling last night as he faced renewed questioning over missing Madeleine McCann.

The convicted paedophile rekindled suspicion after it was revealed he tried to mislead detectives over the vehicle he was driving at the time the youngster vanished.

He claimed he only had one motor - a blue Dodge truck. And he said it was so distinctive that he could not have driven into Praia da Luz in May 2007 without being spotted.

But now a former friend has dramatically come forward to say Hewlett was lying.

He actually owned a white Mercedes van at the time - similar to one seen parked near the McCanns' apartment before Madeleine disappeared.

Ex-Scots Guard Peter Verran, 46, decided to contact the Maddy inquiry team after being disturbed by Hewlett's claims in our sister paper, the Sunday Mirror.

Mr Verran, who befriended Hewlett on a campsite in Morocco in June 2007, said: "He told me he owned a white Transit-type van before his blue Dodge truck.

"He said he'd swapped it for the Dodge in order to leave Portugal and travel to Morocco.

Obsessed "The white van didn't have enough room for the whole family, so he sold it to a pal who traded on the same market as him in Fuzeta, about 40 miles from Praia da Luz."

Last month it was revealed a witness had seen a man apparently staking out the McCanns' apartment, standing near a white van.

According to Mr Verran, Hewlett also said that he had driven from Portugal's Algarve to Spain in the Mercedes van around the time Madeleine vanished.

But Hewlett, who was living near Praia da Luz, insisted recently that he only had the Dodge truck.

Protesting his innocence, he said: "If you'd gone in our truck you couldn't have got away with it, driving that about. You'd have stood out like a sore thumb."

He added: "Our truck was our only vehicle. I didn't have another vehicle to go anywhere in. It's a high-profile vehicle."

When they met in Morocco, Hewlett, 64, told Verran that he'd become obsessed with the case of the missing girl. He admitted being outside the holiday flat "many times" and parking his van close to the complex.

A source close to the Maddy inquiry team said yesterday: "This new information could be very significant. Hewlett has repeatedly said that he could not have been at the scene without someone remembering his distinctive truck.

"But if he was driving a Mercedes van at the time, his reasoning is shot to pieces.

"And it would raise the question of why he lied about the vehicle in the first place." It is not known if Hewlett owned the white van and the truck at the same time, or one after the other. But Mr Verran's recollection is that he bought the Dodge for the trip to Morocco - AFTER Madeleine vanished.

Hewlett admits he was in the Algarve at the time. He told friends he was offered money by "gipsy tourists" to sell his own three-year-old blonde-haired daughter just before Maddy vanished. He says he left Portugal five weeks later for a two-month "business trip". But last night there were also doubts over his assertion that he caught a ferry from Faro to Morocco. He claimed: "I knew people on the docks at Faro and I got the captain of a ferry to take us over for free." But there is NO public ferry service between Faro and Morocco.

Hewlett also said he stayed at a campsite in Morocco for at least two months and made 300 euros selling car parts. Questions were being asked how he afforded to remain for so long when the campsite cost 10 euros a night. He would also have needed cash to feed his seven children and partner, and pay for petrol for his truck.

Hewlett, who is refusing to give an alibi for the night Madeleine vanished, was first brought to the attention of investigators by Alan and Cindy Thompson, who met him while on an extended holiday in Portugal.

Dave Edgar and Arthur Cowley, the detectives working for the Madeleine McCann fund, hoped to question him last month after the Mirror tracked him down to a hospital in Aachen, Germany, where he was being treated for throat cancer. But Hewlett refused to see them, claiming he was too ill to be questioned.

Hewlett was jailed three times in the UK for sex offences before beginning his nomadic lifestyle across Europe with his wife Mariana and their six children.

He is still being investigated by West Yorkshire police over an attack nearly 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:12:49 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »
21st June 2009

Daily Mirror

'Maddie McCann suspect's wife: No one can give him an alibi'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/maddie-mccann-suspects-wife-no-401380
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:13:11 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

27th June 2009

The Sun

'Forensic checks on Maddie perv's van'

By SIMON HUGHES and ANTONELLA LAZZERI

A VAN used by Maddie McCann suspect Raymond Hewlett will be "ripped apart" in a hunt for clues.

Private detectives believe forensic checks could provide crucial evidence about the toddler's disappearance.

The battered blue Dodge has been seized by cops in Germany, where paedo Hewlett, 64, is being treated for cancer.

A source close to the probe added: "It will be ripped apart to look for a trace of Maddie."

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for Maddie's parents Gerry and Kate, 41, said: "Our investigators have known about the vehicle for some time."

A former detective with more than 20 years' experience said: "A single hair or a clothing fibre could provide the breakthrough everyone is so desperate for."

Hewlett and the van were a familiar sight when Maddie, then three, was snatched from her holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007. It was the one vehicle he was known to drive at the time.

Hewlett has been jailed three times for sex attacks on young girls but has insisted: "I didn't kill the McCann girl."

He claimed he was 60 miles away when Maddie disappeared.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »

9th December 2009

Daily Star

Madeleine McCann: Paedophile wanted for questioning struck dumb by throat cancer

Raymond Hewlett's lawyer says he can no longer speak and private investigators hired by the McCanns fear he could take his secrets to the grave.

The 64-year-old's lawyer Detley Wagner said: "He could not talk to them even if he wanted to. He is not long for this world."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/111834/Madeleine-McCann-Paedophile-wanted-for-questioning-struck-dumb-by-throat-cancer

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

1st September 2010

The Sun

I know who took Maddie

MADELEINE McCann suspect Raymond Hewlett confessed on his deathbed that he KNEW what happened to the little girl, The Sun can reveal.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3119744/Paedophile-knew-who-took-Maddie.html

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »

27th February 2011

News of the World

Kate plea to perv's widow

Mum to mum ... please tell

EXCLUSIVE By Matthew Drake
Sunday 27 Feb 2011

HEARTBROKEN Kate McCann is pleading with the widow of a dead paedophile to break her silence in the hunt for snatched daughter Madeleine.

But Mariana Schmuecker – herself a mother of six -has snubbed FOUR requests to reveal secrets about her husband, convicted child rapist Raymond Hewlett.

Detectives believe what she knows could hold the vital key to their investigation.

When the News of the World confronted her the callous German just snarled: "Clear off! I'm sick to death of hearing about Maddie McCann!".

Flawed

Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry desperately want Mariana to shed light on Hewlett's links with child-sex perverts in Portugal’s Algarve, where three-year-old Maddie vanished in May 2007.

Ex-fairground worker Hewlett bore a striking resemblence to the straggly-haired man seen lurking near the McCanns' holiday apartment.

His previous conviction included the rape of a 12-year-old girl he lured into his car then drugged with paint stripper. And he was bragged how gipsies had offered him "good money" for his own blonde-haired daughter aged two.

But Mariana, who suddenly shipped off to Morocco with Hewlett just three weeks after Maddie's disappearance, has stayed tight- lipped – even about her partner's flawed alibi.

Hewlett claimed that on the Thursday Madeleine (right) was abducted he was with his family at a market up the coast in Fuzets. But that market is only held on Saturdays. A source close to the McCanns told us: "Through detectives Kate has begged Mariana to speak out and hopes she will do the right thing. As a mother herself you'd think she'd want to help."

Mariana lives with her kids in the German city of Aachen, in the same flat she shared with Hewlett before he died two years ago of throat cancer at 64.

A source close to the investigation said: "Our detectives are pretty certain Mariana knows a lot about Hewlett's background and activities. That would open up doors to paedophile networks in the Algarve.

"We were never able to rule Hewlett out as a suspect. He'd have had useful information and we're convinced Mariana is more than able to fill in the gaps. But she just tells us to go away or puts the phone down."

"We want to know WHO she knows, and WHAT she's heard about possible routes to spirit a child out of the country."

"She and Hewlett left Portugal at a rate of knots because he feared being associated with Madeleine's disappearance."

"We wanted to know about the six children Mariana and Hewlett had because none of them had any official birth documents. And there was a seventh child who died in mysterious circumstances."

"They never explained how they could move from country to country with the children despite having no passports."

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »

6th March 2011

News of the World

Secret video of Maddie suspect

MADELEINE McCann suspect Raymond Hewlett said his wife would "go mental" if she was asked about the missing girl in a dramatic video recorded before his death.

Convicted paedophile Hewlett was tracked down to a German hospital by a British couple who met him on holiday in Portugal.

In a tense video, the couple confront Hewlett and tell him they know of his paedo past - and ask him if he was involved in Madeleine's disappearance from an apartment in Praia da Luz on the Algarve in May 2007. He replies: "You're joking. How would I know about that?"

Hewlett then launches into a rambling alibi, during which he claims he was at a market with German wife Mariana Schmuecker on the day Madeleine vanished - except the market is held on Saturdays and the little girl went missing on a Thursday.

Terrified the couple are going to speak to his wife, Hewlett adds: "I mean, you going... going to repeat all this to Mariana about this, about this kid? She'll go mental."

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
24th November 2012

Daily Mirror

NEW PAEDOPHILE PROBE

Cold case cops to quiz Brits about child rapist

EXCLUSIVE
BY MARTIN FRICKER

POLICE hunting Madeleine McCann are again investigating paedophile Raymond Hewlett over the youngster's disappearance.

The child rapist was living on the Algarve when she vanished and told a Brit couple gypsies had been looking to buy children.

New Madeleine McCann sensation: Cold case cops investigate paedophile in search for Maddy

The child molester, who has a string of child sex convictions, was living on the Algarve when the youngster vanished from her holiday home

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-search-paedophile-raymond-1453749