Author Topic: My boy Billy  (Read 4261 times)

Offline colombosstogey

My boy Billy
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
Who needs cats and dogs when you can have Billy.....

Offline Myster

Re: My boy Billy
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
Keep on cluckin'... or should that be pluckin' !!!
Wouldn't he look an awful lot better in a roasting tin ? 8((()*/
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »

Good point, Myster - it's a dangerous time of year for Billy and his ilk.

Columbostogey: Perhaps Billy should keep a low profile and wait until the new year to start the thread...

He's a very handsome looking bird, by the way!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:17:50 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Myster

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
Not as good looking as my Oriental bird... (*thinks* - hope she isn't reading this !)  8(0(*

One of my relatives keeps a few Bantams, but I've no idea what type... although she refuses to eat the eggs because she regards it as cannibalism !

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »

Shhhhhhhh dont say that. No he isnt that big lol...by the time you plucked him he would feed one cat lol.

He is a posh pekin and has his own harem of ladies. We are going to be parents 1 january. My first hatch from him as he is only young yet but firing on all cylinders lol.

So we have six fertile eggs in the incubator cooking.

The chicks will all have new homes when they have been molly coddled by me lol. I love bringing them up. Billy was once just an egg off Ebay. I nearly lost him when he was born as he had straddle leg poor thing, but i fixed him with good old plaster. He is very very very tame. My dog loves him lol. (Weird household).

Offline Myster

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:54:49 AM »
Shhhhhhhh dont say that. No he isnt that big lol...by the time you plucked him he would feed one cat lol.

He is a posh pekin and has his own harem of ladies. We are going to be parents 1 january. My first hatch from him as he is only young yet but firing on all cylinders lol.

So we have six fertile eggs in the incubator cooking.

The chicks will all have new homes when they have been molly coddled by me lol. I love bringing them up. Billy was once just an egg off Ebay. I nearly lost him when he was born as he had straddle leg poor thing, but i fixed him with good old plaster. He is very very very tame. My dog loves him lol. (Weird household).

There must be a lot of weird chicken-fancying households. It's strange the way women are attracted to rearing and looking after them, almost as if they are substitute family. My relative is obsessed with her brood, despite having lost a few to foxes and old age.
The cock is just like this one below, a very handsome fella, and fiercely protective of his little harem.

And as I said she won't ever eat an egg produced by them, because she thinks it's a little human !

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »
There must be a lot of weird chicken-fancying households. It's strange the way women are attracted to rearing and looking after them, almost as if they are substitute family. My relative is obsessed with her brood, despite having lost a few to foxes and old age.
The cock is just like this one below, a very handsome fella, and fiercely protective of his little harem.

And as I said she won't ever eat an egg produced by them, because she thinks it's a little human !

Wow, lovely boy.

Yes i suppose i am a bit obsessed lol it helps me with my  illness keeps me active and on my feet. I have to get up now even though i dont want to as they will need feeding and up time...

No i dont bother about the eggs, we still eat them. They only become viable when they go under heat.

Actually although in the UK they have supposed to have banned battery caging, they now are in much bigger cages with about 80 birds and one cockerel, so you can expect some of the eggs to have been fertilised.....

Chickens are actually the most abused animals on this planet, yet they are great birds, funny, friendly and very inquisitive and some highly intelligent. I have some tiny dutch bantams too who fly onto me everytime they can and feed from my hand and will just snuggle lol...yeh i am one of those crazy chickeny people, but i do keep my feet on the ground about them, just treat them with respect.

Offline Myster

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »
This is nearly turning into Chicks-r-us forum.  @)(++(*

My dad used to keep battery-caged hens way back, although only about ten free-ranging black marans in more recent years. On one occasion a stray dog got hold of one by the throat before I managed to chase it off.
It's neck was a bloody mess, so I held it while my dad stitched it up with a needle and strong linen thread from near the legs to underbeak wattle. It recovered after a couple of weeks and after that it was the only one of the brood that would approach you when you went to greet them and it even let you gently stroke its neck, as if it was thanking you for saving its life !

So maybe they do have a touch of human emotion in them.  8((()*/

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
My boy Billy is now a dad lol, we had 4 chicks hatch on 1st January 2014. They are so darn cute. Busy busy all the time lol.

Its amazing actually because as soon as they are born, they can drink and eat for themselves so are easy to bring up without a broody hen.

Will take photos hopefully tomorrow feel a bit iff today.