News and current affairs > A look at the news stories currently making the headlines.

Street protests continue in London despite COVID rules.

(1/31) > >>

patb:
The enforcement of anti COVID regs and the planned demonstration on Clapham Common confirms my point re the MET being in a very compromised position. Clearly, they are open to the allegation that they are trying to clamp down on the story by preventing the demonstration. It may be true and maybe not but the swiftness at which they have dealt with a possible demo is in contrast to the lack of swiftness in dealing with the two indecent assault allegations.

Wonderfulspam:
I thought the scenes at the vigil last night were quite unpleasant.

Hundreds of women gathered together.........breaking the law.

....& yet Cressida Dick, who as far as I can see must have stayed at home behaving lawfully, is facing calls to resign.

This was an illegal gathering, if they wanted to show their respects to Sarah, mass criminality wasn't the way to go about it imo.

Geordie:

--- Quote from: Wonderfulspam on March 14, 2021, 12:08:12 PM ---I thought the scenes at the vigil last night were quite unpleasant.

....& yet Cressida Dick, who as far as I can see must have stayed at home behaving lawfully, is facing calls to resign.

This was an illegal gathering, if they wanted to show their respects to Sarah, mass criminality wasn't the way to go about it imo.

--- End quote ---

And yet the photo being flashed around the world are of two male police officers throwing a 5 ft 2 ins woman to the ground, knee in the back while applying handcuffs for breaking covid rules?

I've not seen that level of force used against anyone else for breaking covid rules.

There were other vigils around the country that were not escalated by the police who kept a lower profile.

The actions of the police in fact escalated the potential covid risk and under the circumstances was over the top.

Was the same level of force used against Rangers supporters when they gathered in even greater numbers to celebrate wining the league and why not? Although I feel the answer is obvious.

Wonderfulspam:

--- Quote from: Geordie on March 14, 2021, 12:29:08 PM ---And yet the photo being flashed around the world are of two male police officers throwing a 5 ft 2 ins woman to the ground, knee in the back while applying handcuffs for breaking covid rules?

I've not seen that level of force used against anyone else for breaking covid rules.

There were other vigils around the country that were not escalated by the police who kept a lower profile.

The actions of the police in fact escalated the potential covid risk and under the circumstances was over the top.

Was the same level of force used against Rangers supporters when they gathered in even greater numbers to celebrate wining the league and why not?

--- End quote ---

The police aren't homogenous, you're talking about two separate police forces in different countries dealing with two entirely different situations so of course there's going to be disparity in enforcement.

If Nicola Sturgeon wants Rangers fans to get sick & possibly die that's her decision & I respect that.

I couldn't attend an old school friends funeral because of restrictions on gatherings, I very much doubt all those women there last night were friends of Sarah so I really don't see the need for them to stand closely packed in a park waving i-phones around & potentially spreading a deadly disease.

What's wrong with putting a candle on your doorstep or on your facebook feed rather than endangering the lives of the sick & the elderly.

Venturi Swirl:

--- Quote from: Wonderfulspam on March 14, 2021, 12:08:12 PM ---I thought the scenes at the vigil last night were quite unpleasant.

--- End quote ---
And yet in the past you have been contemptuous of the lockdown and those who "like sheep" adhere to lockdown rules.  You wouldn't just be WUMMing again now would you...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version