Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 112098 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #600 on: May 03, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
Another thorny subject is likely to be public acceptance of app-based contact tracing. A lot of people are likely to be wary of it, not least following Leave.Eu's dodgy campaign with Cambridge Analytica.
I will download it for the good it will do.  I have no qualms.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #601 on: May 03, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »
I  think its far too early to make any judgements...

No I think that’s agreed by all objective scientific opinion at this point.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #602 on: May 03, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
Another thorny subject is likely to be public acceptance of app-based contact tracing. A lot of people are likely to be wary of it, not least following Leave.Eu's dodgy campaign with Cambridge Analytica.

Why is it that everything this government does raises more questions than it answers ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline barrier

« Reply #603 on: May 03, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
Yes and no from a personal point,like a lot of people I have a smart phone,turn it on and my position can be triangulated,so if there's a big brother watching they roughly know where I'm at, so the medical app is not much of a privation.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #604 on: May 03, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »
Why is it that everything this government does raises more questions than it answers ?
Any government, faith.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #605 on: May 03, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
No I think that’s agreed by all objective scientific opinion at this point.

Opinion is by definition subjective...have another go

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #606 on: May 03, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
Any government, faith.

Absolutely but especially this government.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #607 on: May 03, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
Opinion is by definition subjective...have another go

There is weight in consensus.

Offline Carana

« Reply #608 on: May 03, 2020, 08:20:16 PM »

To be fair, I think people would be critical of any government's actions (of whichever party) at this time. I'm seeing similar criticisms in quite a few countries.

Do I think they were asleep at the helm? Yes. Do I think that a different recently-elected party would have done better? No idea.

I have problems with the SAGE group's reports, particularly re mass gatherings.

Offline Carana

« Reply #609 on: May 03, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
I don't mind downloading an app and using it, provided that I'm reassured that:

- it can only be used for the intended purpose,
- data won't be sold on,
- "left on a train seat",
-  the means (bluetooth, I presume) can't be used by hackers to get access to other information that may or may not be on my phone.

Offline Carana

« Reply #610 on: May 03, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
UK to trial new tracing programme

The UK will trial a new coronavirus tracing programme next week on the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast of England, cabinet minister Michael Gove has announced as the government looks to minimise the risk of a second wave of infection.

Suffering one of the worst death tolls in Europe from Covid-19, Britain is confident that the peak of the virus has passed and is now looking at how to restart its shuttered economy and ease social restrictions on citizens, according to the Press Association.

“This week we will be piloting new test, track and trace procedures on the Isle of Wight with a view to having that in place more widely later this month,” Gove said.

Gove said the system being trialled next week would include asking citizens on the island to download a smartphone app as well as traditional ways of tracing those who have come into contact with a patient who has tested positive.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/03/coronavirus-live-news-european-leaders-join-forces-to-find-vaccine-as-france-proposes-14-day-quarantine-on-entry?page=with:block-5eaefab08f0806a4798126a2#block-5eaefab08f0806a4798126a2

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #611 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
To be fair, I think people would be critical of any government's actions (of whichever party) at this time. I'm seeing similar criticisms in quite a few countries.

Do I think they were asleep at the helm? Yes. Do I think that a different recently-elected party would have done better? No idea.

We need to see the rate of deaths in the next wave before reaching any conclusions. It may well be those countries that shut down early have more deaths when the relax measures. Sweeden has  a much higher death raete tahn its neigbours but may profit from the herd immunity built.

It may well be that the Uk has a higher number of BAME residents due to its colonial past...there are lots of factors which as yet makes comparison difficult

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #612 on: May 03, 2020, 08:53:59 PM »

Yes I think people would be critical, as the number of deaths went up it was almost inevitable, but to have so much criticism from the scientific community must be almost unique.

Offline Carana

« Reply #613 on: May 03, 2020, 09:59:02 PM »

Offline faithlilly