Author Topic: British History Matters!  (Read 36309 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: British History Matters!
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2020, 04:17:37 PM »
Ho ho!! I bet my Nan was worse than your Nan!!

God, she was a shocker.        *&^^&

My Nan was Welsh so she was a lost cause.  My Grandad was a Quarter Master Sergeant in The Cold Stream Guards and we all know what they got up to.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
My Nan was Welsh so she was a lost cause.  My Grandad was a Quarter Master Sergeant in The Cold Stream Guards and we all know what they got up to.

I can’t ever remember my parents or grandparents ever uttering anything that could be considered racist....maybe that’s why I’ve grown up to be the tolerant person I am.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »
I can’t ever remember my parents or grandparents ever uttering anything that could be considered racist....maybe that’s why I’ve grown up to be the tolerant person I am.

No, nor can I.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
The most racist person I ever knew personally was the daughter of a high up Labour Party official.  She objected strenuously to her best friend dating a black guy.  I was shocked by her racist attitude which was back in the early 80s.  I wonder if she has subsequently seen the error of her ways?  She probably pretends she isn’t a racist anymore, but I wouldn’t know as I didnt keep in touch with her. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
My daughter’s (black) boyfriend was one of this event’s organisers.  https://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuernberg/black-lives-matter-5000-menschen-demonstrieren-gegen-rassismus-1.10164113

We’ve had some interesting debates about the issue in the last couple of weeks.  We agree on alot of things, just not always on the means to the end. Still, their protest was peaceful for which I am very grateful. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2020, 08:26:23 PM »
No, nor can I.
Not do I remember my.parents ever making a racist comment, nor a bigoted comment which was much more common here.

1962 Christmas my parents invited a Nigerian student who was studying at Glasgow University to share our Christmas celebration.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:33:15 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
Not do I remember my.parents ever making a racist comment, nor a bigoted comment which was much more common here.

1962 Christmas my parents invited a Nigerian student who was studying at Glasgow University to share our Christmas celebration.

The children's rhyme Eenie Meenie Manie Mo catch the Nigger by the toe was commonplace in Britain decades ago but has now been replaced by the name Tigger. Pathetic in my opinion.

Outside of places like London, Leeds, Peterborough, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow and other urban areas, blacks still get stared at because they are not indigenous to the UK and are a bit of an oddity.

It's all very well being diverse and welcoming as stated by the Muslim Chancellor this morning but not in my back yard matey.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:41:15 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2020, 09:03:14 PM »
The children's rhyme Eenie Meenie Manie Mo catch the Nigger by the toe was commonplace in Britain decades ago but has now been replaced by the name Tigger. Pathetic in my opinion.

Outside of places like London, Leeds, Peterborough, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow and other urban areas, blacks still get stared at because they are not indigenous to the UK and are a bit of an oddity.

It's all very well being diverse and welcoming as stated by the Muslim Chancellor this morning but not in my back yard matey.

Is it just a matter of skin colour or do.you feel.as unwelcoming to all non English immigrants To your backyard?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:45:58 AM by Angelo222 »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2020, 09:31:04 PM »

Afaik the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is Hindu.

Could you find anyone more British?  I think we need to be thankful we have such a talented Chancellor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishi_Sunak
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2020, 10:03:46 PM »

What a shockingly racist (and inaccurate imo) post.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2020, 02:52:31 AM »
Afaik the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is Hindu.

Could you find anyone more British?  I think we need to be thankful we have such a talented Chancellor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishi_Sunak

I stand corrected Holly, he is Hindu.  A Hindu Chancellor and a Muslim Mayor of London, are there no talented Christians in politics these days?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2020, 02:53:32 AM »
What a shockingly racist (and inaccurate imo) post.

I prefer the term Nationalist and by the way is there some part of my post that is factually incorrect or are you just sensitive to reality?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:55:50 AM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
I prefer the term Nationalist and by the way is there some part of my post that is factually incorrect or are you just sensitive to reality?
You’ve already acknowledged one mistake and corrected it - Sunak is not a Muslim!  Also, I don’t live in a big city and can assure you that no one stares at members of our black community as if they are oddities (maybe 50 years ago, but times have changed, shame you haven’t and sorry you feel so hard done by about the change to the racist school ground chant - if you can’t see how extremely offensive it is then you are beyond hope imo).

Offline Erngath

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »
I stand corrected Holly, he is Hindu.  A Hindu Chancellor and a Muslim Mayor of London, are there no talented Christians in politics these days?

Boris ?