Author Topic: British History Matters!  (Read 35605 times)

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
Re: British History Matters!
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2020, 10:17:27 PM »
It didn't used to be.  I feel guilty if I say Black.

As far as I know, "Black" is the appropriate term these days, and "coloured" is deemed offensive-----but you are right, it never used to be!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2020, 10:20:14 PM »
As far as I know, "Black" is the appropriate term these days, and "coloured" is deemed offensive-----but you are right, it never used to be!

But most of them aren't black.  Or is that a racist remark?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »

I've only ever seen one person who was very nearly black and he was rivetingly good looking.  In fact quite beautiful.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »
I've only ever seen one person who was very nearly black and he was rivetingly good looking.  In fact quite beautiful.
my daughter’s boyfriend is sehr schwarz.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
my daughter’s boyfriend is sehr schwarz.

Sorry, I can't find that on Google.  What does it mean?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:15 PM »
Sorry, I can't find that on Google.  What does it mean?
very black.  He is also German.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
The children's rhyme Eenie Meenie Manie Mo catch the Nigger by the toe was commonplace in Britain decades ago but has now been replaced by the name Tigger. Pathetic in my opinion.

(...)

This was a postcard in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_postcard#/media/File:%22Taken_from_death,_lynching_at_Russellville,_Logan_County,_Kentucky%22_(NBY_4084).jpg

Offline Carana

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »

I haven't come across that.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »

Yesterday, when I was young, Coloured was the accepted term.  Nowadays it is Black.

Personally, I only have a problem with They or Them.  But there is a limit to what you can do with The English Language.

No doubt some freak will come up with another word for They and Them sometime soon.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
Yesterday, when I was young, Coloured was the accepted term.  Nowadays it is Black.

Personally, I only have a problem with They or Them.  But there is a limit to what you can do with The English Language.

No doubt some freak will come up with another word for They and Them sometime soon.

They and them is my absolute pet hate.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »

I only discovered it about 20 years ago when studying with the Open University.

I think BAME (Black and Ethnic Minority) is probably better still now!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
They and them is my absolute pet hate.

Why else can you do, Faith?  There is a difference even if only in skin colour.  Mixed Race people identify as Black.  Why do they do that?

My ancestors were Romanies, probably originating somewhere in India and my father was the spitting image of a Ghurka, many of whom I saw in Singapore.  Sheesh, there goes Daddy. 

And I am not exactly light skinned.  Many hours I spent in my youth lying in the sun.  And I looked like the real deal in a Sari which I so loved wearing.  This was of some pride to me.

I also lived in a Caravan for twelve years and brought up two children.  And was subjected to Racial Abuse during that time.  I put it down to downright ignorance.

Offline sadie

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »

One of my closest friends is black Jamaican.  She says that the correct, inoffensive, name is Afro-Carribean

Mind you, her A-C friends tell her that she is a Bounty Bar = chocolate on the outside and white inside.  I think that upset her

She is a lovely person and a great Ambassador for Afro-Carrib. people.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
One of my closest friends is black Jamaican.  She says that the correct, inoffensive, name is Afro-Carribean

Mind you, her A-C friends tell her that she is a Bounty Bar = chocolate on the outside and white inside.  I think that upset her

She is a lovely person and a great Ambassador for Afro-Carrib. people.

My daughters circle of friends in the 1980's included two girls with the same first name, which began with A. When chatting they used to say Black A or White A to identify who they were talking about. Neither girl objected.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
I have friends and colleagues from all over the world and of all mainstream faiths.

Personally, I've found it really enriching. It has certainly expanded my worldview ever since I was a young kid.