Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 52015 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:06 PM »
Depends how quickly it's allowed to spread...fast enough to create herd immunity but not too fast to overwhelm the NHS
There is an enormous number of cases that result in severe pneumonia.   So unless it is drawn out of several months NHS will be overwhelmed. 

The lingering disease recovery period will be best handled at home, but whether a person is still infectious during this recovery period isn't detailed as yet.  I have seen reports of possible reinfection.  But there is only virus detection as a way of confirming an infection, so that could be intermittent shedding rather than reinfection.
Do you use peroxide at all?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 11:44:58 PM »
This documentary really makes one sit up and think!  "Coronavirus: How the deadly epidemic sparked a global emergency | Four Corners"  https://youtu.be/ycrqXJYf1SU
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 07:23:30 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8108271/Chief-scientific-adviser-wants-60-percent-entire-population-catch-coronavirus.html

That's actually quite sensible

It sounds sensible in theory, I would agree.

Nobody really knows how bad this disease is, though, and we are being used as "guinea pigs" .  Why is it just the UK government that is taking notice of Sir Patrick Vallance, I wonder?

I suspect it won't happen, and we will be "locking down" in the near future.  Boris has to consider his votes, after all !

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator

Offline barrier

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
One thing thats a bit puzzling imo is that no one seems to look what the accelerant in Italy was for the virus to kill so many.Taken as a percentage against the deaths in China the Italy ones far out reach those in China,what is the real story?.The trouble with lock downs is how soon after do restrictions get lifted?
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
My Asda online shop will be delivered later minus tinned fruit, paracetamol, dried pasta and toilet rolls. People must be planning on eating a lot of tinned fruit; hence the toilet rolls lol.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
One thing thats a bit puzzling imo is that no one seems to look what the accelerant in Italy was for the virus to kill so many.Taken as a percentage against the deaths in China the Italy ones far out reach those in China,what is the real story?.The trouble with lock downs is how soon after do restrictions get lifted?
I have a feeling Italy has a population with lot of older age members, who suffer from Covid 19 more than younger persons.
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:35 AM »
I have a feeling Italy has a population with lot of older age members, who suffer from Covid 19 more than younger persons.

You also have to factor in Italy's previous financial problems and the strong austerity measures the people suffered as a result. These things affect basic health and weaken immune systems imo.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Admin

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »
Can the UK really cope if hundreds of thousands become infected as predicted?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
You also have to factor in Italy's previous financial problems and the strong austerity measures the people suffered as a result. These things affect basic health and weaken immune systems imo.

Having visited Italy many times I have observed that Italians have an infinitely healthier diet than many in the UK.
The north of Italy where the virus seems to have become more prevalent, is more wealthy then the South.

Italy has the second largest elderly population in the world, which may explain the high death rate but is also indicative of a healthy lifestyle.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »
You only have to look at whats happened in Italy to see its not being overeggged.
 the virus is causing around 15 times more deaths than normal flu and as I undestand its also more infectious. we will know a lot more in  aweek but looking at italy can we afford to be complacent.

I'm told, by a friend who has family members in Italy, one of the reasons for the numerous infections/high death toll is although they have a good Health Service, because each Italian region works independent of each other, there's no joined up thinking or acting. Another possible reason is that, unlike us, Italians tend to live in generational groups, meaning that four generations could be living under the same roof.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
There is an enormous number of cases that result in severe pneumonia.   So unless it is drawn out of several months NHS will be overwhelmed. 

The lingering disease recovery period will be best handled at home, but whether a person is still infectious during this recovery period isn't detailed as yet.  I have seen reports of possible reinfection.  But there is only virus detection as a way of confirming an infection, so that could be intermittent shedding rather than reinfection.
Do you use peroxide at all?

I see no reason why peroxide can't be used. If you use a high -say 6%- volume it would need to be broken down to incorporate some sort of balm and a detergent. Be warned though. Too much washing can cause the skin to break down. Broken skin is open to infection...................and the virus washing is used to prevent!!!

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
Can the UK really cope if hundreds of thousands become infected as predicted?

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Most of us will be left to ride it out "in the comfort of our own homes."  Some will die there, either alone, or in front of frantic relatives/caregivers, having been unable to contact anyone for medical attention.

Well, perhaps that's a very pessimistic scenario, but I do have a vivid imagination.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »

Most of us will be left to ride it out "in the comfort of our own homes."  Some will die there, either alone, or in front of frantic relatives/caregivers, having been unable to contact anyone for medical attention.

Well, perhaps that's a very pessimistic scenario, but I do have a vivid imagination.

I hope NOT, but you maybe closer to the truth than you want to believe.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »

I can't recall a similar level of official concern before, if that's any indication.
Result = happy posting.