Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 52226 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
No. It involved rounding up the old & unwell & quaranting them elsewhere so that those of us under 40 can go about our daily lives as normal.
But you raise a good point, gas chambers would be one sure way of eradicating the virus & preventing economic collapse.
Raise income tax, lower vat & start pumping gas into Lidl.
And to think I get a warning for calling you a troll.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline misty

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2020, 03:14:01 AM »
Check out the 2011 film Contagion on Amazon Prime if you think the Covid 19 virus is being over-egged. It's seriously disturbing, given the similarity to the current crisis.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
Not that simple.

It can depend on which country, with which resources,, when preventive measures were taken (or enforced), when early detection, contact-tracing, testing, quarantine / hospitalisation took place of patients and contacts, available beds, PPE (personal protection equipment), staff, the list goes on. Plus, the vulnerability of patients, but also of their contacts.

You haven't answered the question as to what happens to the other 27% per cent.
Whist some die and some get over it quickly for the rest it's a debilitating and uncomfortable disease...but they recover
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:13:03 AM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »
Whist some die and some get over it quickly for the rest it's a debilitating and uncomfortable disease...but they recover
Or maybe they remain chronically ill.

From the CT scans the disease reminded me of enzootic pneumonia in lambs with the severe consolidation of the lobes of the lungs.   In my experience, there was a definite weight reduction in those cases of lambs that were affected by the pneumonia.  Older animals had got over the pneumonia but there was always evidence of scarring on the lungs and possible pleuritic adhesions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:08:17 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
Or maybe they remain chronically ill.

I havent seen that anywhere and think we would if that was the the case. I think what this staement refers to is the fact that for some this virus is a relatively mild disease that doesnt cause real problems whilst for some it really afffects them and may require hospitalisation and that is the problem. at the moment the NHS is coping but what happens when those who need hospitalisation find theres no beds or staff or ventilators to treat them...thats when deaths will soar. Thats why isolation is important for evryone,,,young or old.... to limit and slow the spread.

In the Uk Denatal surgeries have been ordered to close apart from seeing real emergencies...all routine dentistry is cancelled...thats quite a severe step which shows how serious this virus could be

Offline Carana

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2020, 10:43:58 AM »
Check out the 2011 film Contagion on Amazon Prime if you think the Covid 19 virus is being over-egged. It's seriously disturbing, given the similarity to the current crisis.

I've started watching Pandemic (on Netflix), but I think it's also available elsewhere... It's a documentary series, not fiction.

Offline Carana

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
I havent seen that anywhere and think we would if that was the the case. I think what this staement refers to is the fact that for some this virus is a relatively mild disease that doesnt cause real problems whilst for some it really afffects them and may require hospitalisation and that is the problem. at the moment the NHS is coping but what happens when those who need hospitalisation find theres no beds or staff or ventilators to treat them...thats when deaths will soar. Thats why isolation is important for evryone,,,young or old.... to limit and slow the spread.

In the Uk Denatal surgeries have been ordered to close apart from seeing real emergencies...all routine dentistry is cancelled...thats quite a severe step which shows how serious this virus could be

My dentist called me on a Sunday morning from home to cancel my appointment. Having saliva sprayed in your face all day puts them (and patients) at enormous risk. Even with a visor and a basic mask.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »
My dentist called me on a Sunday morning from home to cancel my appointment. Having saliva sprayed in your face all day puts them (and patients) at enormous risk. Even with a visor and a basic mask.
I’ve been waiting months for my appointment tomorrow, I hope mine isn’t cancelled as it’s getting quite urgent now.  I don’t intend to spray him with saliva, honest!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »

I gave a link to Rob, which I find to be a partial explanation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Some in the serious / critical make it, others don't. Those who don't make it pass over to the "death" category. In the absence of sufficient beds, in some countries they're having to make difficult decisions: if you have a finite quantity of ICU beds / respirators / specially trained medical staff) to concentrate on those most likely to survive.

In some countries, I've noticed that the "recovered / discharged" category can be low. AFAIK, that doesn't necessarily mean a higher fatality rate - it could be that they didn't require respiratory assistance and were sent home to self-isolate until they got better... or fell of the radar. In theory, I would think that to be deemed officially "recovered" would require a further test... but if there aren't enough tests / lab capacity, that may be secondary for the moment.

Offline Carana

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2020, 11:13:33 AM »
I’ve been waiting months for my appointment tomorrow, I hope mine isn’t cancelled as it’s getting quite urgent now.  I don’t intend to spray him with saliva, honest!

Best check tomorrow. Not sure the UK has thought of the risks of dentists yet, with all this "take it on the chin" stuff. You presumably don't want a dentist to contaminate you, either.

Take care.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »

If it's anything apart from a genuine emergency...severe toothache...the orders  are it should be cancelled.

I will be laying staff off but fortunately the government will cover 80% of their wage

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Best check tomorrow. Not sure the UK has thought of the risks of dentists yet, with all this "take it on the chin" stuff. You presumably don't want a dentist to contaminate you, either.

Take care.

Scotland decided last week..UK govt has-been slow. The order is quite clear...all routine dentistry cancelled.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »

Take care.

One major risk is the production of an aerosol by the high speed handpiece drill...this leaves the air contaminated..
Then there simply the numbers an opportunity for cross contamination..avoid other people as much asposs seems to be the message

Offline Carana

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
One major risk is the production of an aerosol by the high speed handpiece drill...this leaves the air contaminated..
Then there simply the numbers an opportunity for cross contamination..avoid other people as much asposs seems to be the message

Agree. Though not easy for anyone with a raging toothache or even a broken arm, let alone anything else requiring hospitalisation that is non-COVID19-related.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
I have had a very long and convoluted discussion with my 53 year old son about this.

I am in lock down in France because of my age.  And thank God for that.  But both of us have decided that there is nothing much to be done.

I might be dead in six weeks time, or not.  He is less likely to be so.  I don't think I care all that much.  But I am one tough old cookie.  So far less likely to die.

Think about "Hope" because this is what it is all about.