Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 52024 times)

Offline APRIL

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »
Yeah, both me and my son had a dry cough at the beginning of the year which left me short of breath.  No fever though.

I'm not certain what is meant by "a fever" which probably means I've never experienced one!! I can't say for certain whether my temperature was raised, but in the past, I've had chest infections and on one occasion, bronchitis and I don't recall having a temperature then, but I suspect I may have.

Offline Carana

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »

I'm not certain what is meant by "a fever" which probably means I've never experienced one!! I can't say for certain whether my temperature was raised, but in the past, I've had chest infections and on one occasion, bronchitis and I don't recall having a temperature then, but I suspect I may have.

More common as a US term, but it means a (raised) temperature.

After all, everything has a temperature, from the dark side of the moon to the sun.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
More common as a US term, but it means a (raised) temperature.

After all, everything has a temperature, from the dark side of the moon to the sun.

Thank-you for the clarification.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »

Thank-you for the clarification.
Raised temperature or fever. 
There are cases where there is no fever.  (maybe they missed the fact that the person had the fever earlier).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUwEYX5gaE
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:19:26 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2020, 08:52:46 PM »

With the UK death toll rising to 578, anyone else get the feeling this lock down will go on for longer than 3 weeks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534

Expect the panic buying to continue.

Luckily I've avoided panic buying by purchasing several weeks worth of food in one visit to the shops.

I haven't recycled my newspapers recently, I'm hoping I don't have to use them.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2020, 09:32:07 PM »
With the UK death toll rising to 578, anyone else get the feeling this lock down will go on for longer than 3 weeks?

Luckily I've avoided panic buying by purchasing several weeks worth of food in one visit to the shops.

I'm thinking it will go on longer than three weeks.

I also suspect that the cashier in the supermarket fibbed to me when she told me that I'll get loo roll if I'm there early in the morning:  I suspect there hasn't been any for a few weeks now, although I understand some people have managed to get some from smaller shops.

Has anyone seen loo roll in big supermarkets lately, as a matter of interest?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »

I also suspect that the cashier in the supermarket fibbed to me when she told me that I'll get loo roll if I'm there early in the morning:  I suspect there hasn't been any for a few weeks now, although I understand some people have managed to get some from smaller shops.

As it happens, I got the last pack of rolls off the shelf at a big Tesco last sunday around noon.
It was the most expensive brand but my friend had none at all so I bought it for her.
I'm pretty sure the supermarkets & small shops are re-stocking every day/ night but that they just aren't staying on the shelves for long.
Where I live the small shops shelves are empty of rolls every time I have looked.
Even kitchen roll is hard to find.
I have ended up placing an order with an office supplies company online that sells the kind of huge rolls you get in public loos & such. I figure I will end up using it all in my lifetime or I can share some among friends & family if they need it.

Offline misty

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »

Our local Asda has had loo roll this week but we did have to go early morning. I don't know what the situation is later in the day. Kitchen roll, Dettol spray & bleach are still proving difficult to source.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:33 PM »

......& hand sanitiser, forget trying to find that.  I'm using washing up liquid.

Offline John

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
......& hand sanitiser, forget trying to find that.  I'm using washing up liquid.

I was lucky with the hand sanitiser as I usually keep plenty here on the farm anyway. Soap and warm water is just as effective though if used properly for about 20 seconds. I think regular hand washing is crucial if out and about.

Wallets, bank cards, coins, plastic money, car keys, mobile phones, tablets and computer keyboards are all things worth special attention as are taps, door handles, stair bannisters and TV remote controls.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:49:50 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
I was lucky with the hand sanitiser as I usually keep plenty here on the farm anyway. Soap and warm water is just as effective though if used properly for about 20 seconds. I think regular hand washing is crucial if out and about.

Wallets, bank cards, coins, plastic money, car keys, mobile phones, tablets and computer keyboards are all things worth special attention as are taps, door handles, stair bannisters and TV remote controls.

Yes, and the steering wheel.

Plus whatever surface you dump your shopping on.

Some are using soapy water to wash down food packages and even produce. I haven't bothered with that so far, but it can't hurt, I suppose.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:35 PM »
Yes, and the steering wheel.

Plus whatever surface you dump your shopping on.

Some are using soapy water to wash down food packages and even produce. I haven't bothered with that so far, but it can't hurt, I suppose.

And the gear stick, handbrake,  and the car door handles !!   I haven't bothered with the food packages though, I'm neurotic enough about germs as it is.

I wonder, after all this is over, whether people will have become hygiene conscious to the extent that the rates of colds, norovirus, etc will go down in the winter.

Actually managed to find loo rolls in Wilko this morning!

Offline Carana

« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2020, 11:50:39 PM »

(snip)
I wonder, after all this is over, whether people will have become hygiene conscious to the extent that the rates of colds, norovirus, etc will go down in the winter.

Quite possibly, until we get complacent again...

Offline Carana

« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2020, 11:52:16 PM »
Some interesting graphs from FT
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Offline Carana

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »

The longer some people don't take it seriously, the longer it is is likely to carry on.