Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 52014 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2020, 10:34:14 PM »
Well, it's certainly frustrating me. Having to put my life on hold just because all these selfish people are dying.
But this is what you wanted - death and destruction of humanity on a massive scale, did you really think you wouldn’t be inconvenienced by it on some level?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2020, 11:17:51 PM »
But this is what you wanted - death and destruction of humanity on a massive scale, did you really think you wouldn’t be inconvenienced by it on some level?

A few hundred thousand out of 7 billion is hardly a massive scale imo.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
A few hundred thousand out of 7 billion is hardly a massive scale imo.
The more who die the more inconvenience it will cause you so what exactly is it that you want?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
The more who die the more inconvenience it will cause you so what exactly is it that you want?

The pub to open.
I don't think it's too much to ask.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2020, 10:47:00 AM »
The pub to open.
What can you get in the pub that you can’t get at home?  Judging from your general hatred of humanity you can’t really be missing other people so...?

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
What can you get in the pub that you can’t get at home?  Judging from your general hatred of humanity you can’t really be missing other people so...?

If the pub was open I could go there & there's a chance I could catch corona virus & die from it, which would mean I wouldn't have to hear about corona virus any more.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
The pub to open.

I must admit the local boozer is one of the few things I miss!
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »
What would have happened if the world had just left the virus run unchecked? 

I think it has to be weighed against the long-term economic and social effects which will indirectly cost lives too.

In 1918 Spanish Flu run unchecked and the highest figure given equates to a death rate of 5%.  That figure could probably be reduced considerably today with modern medical care.

I think it has been said about Covid that if no measures were taken to curtail it it would probably produce a death rate of 1%.

So a moral dilema: do we save 1% at what will inevitably be a significant economic and social cost to the 99% which in itself will lead to loss of life? 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Carana

« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »
How would the UK, let alone the world, provide adequate medical care to what might be 30% or more of the population needing care in that scenario  to end up with just a 1% mortality rate?

Offline John

« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2020, 10:47:02 PM »
What would have happened if the world had just left the virus run unchecked? 

I think it has to be weighed against the long-term economic and social effects which will indirectly cost lives too.

In 1918 Spanish Flu run unchecked and the highest figure given equates to a death rate of 5%.  That figure could probably be reduced considerably today with modern medical care.

I think it has been said about Covid that if no measures were taken to curtail it it would probably produce a death rate of 1%.

So a moral dilema: do we save 1% at what will inevitably be a significant economic and social cost to the 99% which in itself will lead to loss of life?

I believe that would have been a catastrophe Holly, the only thing that has saved so many of us is the stay at home directive and the social distancing rule.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »

Stay at home.
Protect the NHS.
Die of boredom.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
How would the UK, let alone the world, provide adequate medical care to what might be 30% or more of the population needing care in that scenario  to end up with just a 1% mortality rate?

ICL did some modelling which showed if no action was taken the death rate would be 510,000 by end Aug.  I can't see in the following whether this is based on England or UK but if England it equates to around 1% of the population.  If UK its obviously less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
I believe that would have been a catastrophe Holly, the only thing that has saved so many of us is the stay at home directive and the social distancing rule.

Yes it would be a catastrophe in that the NHS would be unable to cope and doctors would be faced with having to make horrible choices about who would live and die but according to ICL this would result in 500,000 deaths.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »

Coronavirus: 'World faces worst recession since Great Depression'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52273988

Coronavirus: UK economy 'could shrink by record 35%' by June

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52279871

I really don't think saving a few thousands lives out of the earths population of several billion was even remotely worth committing financial suicide over.
How many lives will be lost around the world, not as a result of contracting the virus, but as a direct result of poverty?
The world leaders called this one wrong imo.
Still, if we all stand on our doorsteps clapping on a thursday it will make it all worth while I'm sure.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Coronavirus: 'World faces worst recession since Great Depression'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52273988

Coronavirus: UK economy 'could shrink by record 35%' by June

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52279871

I really don't think saving a few thousands lives out of the earths population of several billion was even remotely worth committing financial suicide over.
How many lives will be lost around the world, not as a result of contracting the virus, but as a direct result of poverty?
The world leaders called this one wrong imo.
Still, if we all stand on our doorsteps clapping on a thursday it will make it all worth while I'm sure.

Why do you suddenly care about poverty  around the world
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:40:26 PM by Davel »