Author Topic: Channel Five documentary - "Murder in a Small Town"  (Read 50600 times)

Offline John

Channel Five documentary - "Murder in a Small Town"
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »
A new two-part Channel 5 docuseries re-examines the case of Jodi Jones, who was killed in woods near Easthouses, Midlothian, 18 years ago.

Murder in a Small Town, which will be aired over two nights, namely 24/25th February, takes another look at the case against Luke Mitchell, convicted of brutally murdering his girlfriend in 2003, a claim he denies.

In 2003, Luke Mitchell was accused of brutally murdering 14-year-old schoolgirl Jodi Jones.

He maintains his innocence to this day and now, after 17 years, two former detectives who are now private investigators are working together to re-examine the police and prosecution’s case against Mitchell.

In the new two-part series, they uncover information which could possibly cast doubt on the verdict, including new evidence which emerged from a witness who was living in the area at the time, and details of another male’s DNA found at the scene.

What happened to Jodi Jones?

Jones was found in woodland near her home in Easthouses in 2003. Her hands had been tied behind her back, her throat cut and her body repeatedly slashed.

Mitchell, now 32, insists he did not murder her. In phone calls from jail, he said: “I was the local weirdo. It was easy to put on me.”

Mitchell, who at the time was 14, tells how he found Jones while searching for her with other locals after she disappeared, and also claims two police officers tried to bully him into admitting he killed his girlfriend Jodi by telling him: “Confess you little b*****d.”

In the documentary he insists he was framed for the murder and would never admit to it - even if it meant an immediate release: “I can’t be more clear. I absolutely did not kill Jodi and I’ve been locked up for a crime I didn’t commit. I will not admit to something I’ve not done. I want to clear my name."

Mitchell was convicted of murder in 2005 following a trial at the High Court in Edinburgh and was ordered to serve at least 20 years in prison.

He has had four previous attempts to overturn his conviction. Two were rejected on appeal and a bid to have his case referred to the UK Supreme Court was turned down at the High Court in Edinburgh.

What happens in the documentary?

Two former police detectives – John Sallens and Michael Neil – reopen the case in the documentary and claim to have uncovered details of other male DNA found at the crime scene, and new information about another male from a witness living in the area at the time.

They say there was only circumstantial evidence and an apparent sighting of teens by a witness who drove past at 30mph.

The team concludes there is more evidence pointing to other suspects being responsible. One of the former cops claims Mitchell “suffered a serious miscarriage of justice” and was let down by the legal system.

When can I watch it?

Murder in a Small Town began on Wednesday 24 February, airing at 9pm on Channel 5.

The second-part will be broadcast tonight (25 February) at the same time, and if you missed the first instalment, you can catch up through the channel’s on demand service, My5.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:12:58 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

Re: Channel Five documentary - "Murder in a Small Town"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
Excerpts from article today by Jon Hebditch for the Daily Record

Channel 5 bosses have been blasted for 'giving a platform' to convicted killer of Scots schoolgirl Jodi Jones as he launches a fresh bid to clear his name

‘Scottish Conservative justice spokesman Liam Kerr hit out at the decision to air the documentary.

He said: “This individual was convicted of one of the most horrific criminal acts, and several appeals on his behalf have been rejected.

“Clearly this documentary will only cause more distress to a family who’ve already suffered so much.

“The makers should be thinking twice about giving a platform to such a dangerous and twisted individual.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/jodie-jones-killer-luke-mitchell-23526359

Douglas Walker
@DougScottishSun
Two ex detectives, a top QC and a leading forensic scientist all cast major doubt on Luke Mitchell’s murder conviction in a new Channel 5 documentary.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DougScottishSun/status/1362507799541018624

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6704329/luke-mitchell-jodi-jones-killer-channel-5-documentary/

Suspect Douglas Walker is referring to Maggie Scott and Allan Jamieson
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:05:45 AM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:56 PM »
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6704329/luke-mitchell-jodi-jones-killer-channel-5-documentary/

The two-part documentary, which airs next week, follows ex-Police Scotland detectives John Sallens and Michael Neill as they re-examine the case.

Four detectives from elite anti-terrorist unit are facing corruption probe over claims of fraud
by Russell Findlay June 2013

FOUR detectives who worked for an elite unit which targets terrorists are at the centre of a
corruption probe.

Detective Sergeant John Sallens, 48, and three Major Investigation Team colleagues have been reported to Crown Office prosecutors who will decide if they should stand trial.

The others are constables Geoff Fisher, 48, Michael Neil, 43, and Lynn McConnachie, 42.

All four were based at the MIT office in Glasgow’s high-security Govan police station

Read more: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/four-detectives-elite-anti-terrorist-unit-1941239
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:54:49 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:14:43 PM »
Does anyone know whether or not Luke Mitchell obtained the prison governors permission regarding the channel 5 documentary ?

In Dec 2019 Sandra Lean stated here http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10066.0.html

Technically, prisoners have the right to speak to journalists, etc, if the purpose is to highlight a claimed miscarriage of justice, but each case is at the discretion of the prison governor.

In Luke's case, the reason given for refusing the interview with James English was that "it would cause a public outcry"

What’s changed from then to now ?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/behind-bars-tv-cameras-show-6930248

(Shotts Prison - William Stuart - Governor (Acting) Email William.Stuart@sps.pnn.gov.uk)

On what grounds did acting Gov Stuart give Mitchell to speak with those involved in the Firecracker Films production?

Has this been established?

And is William Stuart aware of Sandra Lean’s back story ?

And what about the two ex detectives ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:04:25 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
Has Luke Mitchell’s prison governor fact checked before seemingly giving his permission to Mitchell to speak to those involved in the firecracker films production?

Two former detectives reopen the case in the documentary and claim to have uncovered details of other male DNA found at the crime scene, and new information about another male from a witness living in the area at the time.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/jodi-jones-murderer-luke-mitchell-claims-he-was-framed-in-new-channel-5-documentary-3140076

Is there ‘new information’ or is this ‘new information’ already public knowledge?

Sandra Lean claimed here she’d put everything she possibly could on the case into the public domain
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uK7OVE_5L7Y
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:42:42 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:17:07 PM »
nessa dundon
@sallycinnamon83
Been lucky enough to work on this series with an amazing team

Librarian
@stmungo_library
Replying to
@sallycinnamon83
Cannot wait to watch this and see the rippling effects....

Tinopolis
@tinopolisgroup
This Wednesday 24th & Thursday 25th
@channel5_tv
 re-examine the case against #LukeMitchell telling his story. 
Was an innocent child wronged by the criminal justice system, and could this be Britain’s most shocking miscarriage of justice?
Tune in this week to find out more..

Ron Jones

@RonTinopolis
Replying to
@tinopolisgroup
 and
@channel5_tv
Our team at
@FirecrackerFilm
 investigates why a child was sent to jail for 20 years just on circumstantial evidence.  Justice?

https://mobile.twitter.com/tinopolisgroup/status/1363920558690344965

Firecracker Films
@FirecrackerFilm
Tune in this week to the new two-part true crime murder documentary looking in to what could be one of the UK’s biggest miscarriages of justice in the case of Luke Mitchell and the killing of teenage schoolgirl Jodi Jones

Watch Weds & Thurs at 9pm on C5

#C5MurderinaSmallTown
https://mobile.twitter.com/FirecrackerFilm/status/1363919761436991492

Ron Jones is a British businessman and executive chair of Tinopolis, one of the UK's largest television production companies. Previously a partner in the accounting and consultancy firm Arthur Andersen. He was a founder of Tinopolis in 1990 and has led the company since that time. Jones took the company public in 2005 and this led to a rapid expansion by acquisition, including a hostile takeover of the largest listed production company at that time, The Television Corporation PLC. In 2008 Jones and his management team bought the company back in partnership with Vitruvian Partners, a private equity company.

Jones is a former member of the Sports Council for Wales (now Sport Wales) and the Welsh Language Board. He was Treasurer of Glamorgan County Cricket Club for nine years, and is a director and former Chairman of Llanelli Scarlets, the leading rugby union club. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Jones_(businessman)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:34:10 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 03:12:32 PM »
Sandra Lean
‘I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who's helped get the word out about the documentary, to those who are still working away behind the scenes and to everyone who has sent messages of support or potential new information. Luke's "team" just got a whole lot bigger!!!! Thank you.’

Offline WakeyWakey

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:58:56 PM »
Well, tomorrow is going to be a big day. So I hope you'll all indulge me in a little bit of fun tonight: "If you hear "No" - it means "yes," but just not yet, Fight the most when folks think you're absurd". All 17.5 years of absurdity about to hit High C! Thanks all!!!

this is what it's all about - 17.5 years spent desperatly trying to reach the summit of maslow's pyramid - "I AM a real criminologist!" - and to hell with the people hurt or damaged along the way

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
Lucy Briers Blue heart
@lucyjbriers
I’m proud to have narrated this new Channel 5 documentary examining the murder of Jodi Jones - here's how to watch
8:54 AM · Feb 24, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Daughter of actor Richard Briers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Briers
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:03:18 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »
Stephen Bennett https://mobile.twitter.com/hello_bennett/with_replies

I suspect Stephen Bennett’s production will turn out to be another damp squid just like 'Making a Murderer' turned out to be.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:35:11 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 08:42:54 PM »
Please can we have constructive comments on this new thread. Inappropriate comments have been removed.

Just watching part1 and see nothing new so far.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:54:34 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 08:45:23 PM »
The two-part documentary, which airs next week, follows ex-Police Scotland detectives John Sallens and Michael Neill as they re-examine the case.

Four detectives from elite anti-terrorist unit are facing corruption probe over claims of fraud
by Russell Findlay June 2013

FOUR detectives who worked for an elite unit which targets terrorists are at the centre of a
corruption probe.

Detective Sergeant John Sallens, 48, and three Major Investigation Team colleagues have been reported to Crown Office prosecutors who will decide if they should stand trial.

The others are constables Geoff Fisher, 48, Michael Neil, 43, and Lynn McConnachie, 42.

All four were based at the MIT office in Glasgow’s high-security Govan police station

Read more: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/four-detectives-elite-anti-terrorist-unit-1941239

Very interesting Nicholas and a big mystery as to what then happened, a big media blackout on this one.

This stinks!

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
Please can we have constructive comments on this new thread. Inappropriate comments have been removed.

I don’t use the phase ‘damp squid’

Making a murderer turned out to be a scam - as I see it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:57:59 PM by Nicholas »

Offline John

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »
I don’t use the phase ‘damp squid’

Making a murderer turned out to be a scam - as I see it

You need proof to make such a claim.