Author Topic: Advantages of Brexit so far  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Advantages of Brexit so far
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »
I voted Brexit because I'm racist & oppose liberalism.

So for me I've got what I voted for, Britain is now more racist, & liberals are still upset by Brexit.

Anything beyond that is irrelevant to me.

LOL  As the resident WUM, methinks I'll take your comments with a large shovel of salt.

However, you, too, could be affected ret your spending power or opportunities.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »
LOL  As the resident WUM, methinks I'll take your comments with a large shovel of salt.

However, you, too, could be affected ret your spending power or opportunities.

I think general world inflation combined with woke economic policies rolled out across the west is going to f..k us all anyway.

As if the internal combustion engine can be completely replaced by around 2040.

Battery powered HGV's?  Don't think so.

There's about 3 electric car charging points in my town, car owning population around 200,000.

So they only need to install another 199,997 points between now & 2040.

Should be doable.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »

The West is committing financial suicide, abandoning fossil fuels to save the planet, whilst China, the biggest world polluter, does as it pleases.

Offline Carana

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
The West is committing financial suicide, abandoning fossil fuels to save the planet, whilst China, the biggest world polluter, does as it pleases.

I'd agree that there are major issues with electric vehicles. China seems to be forging ahead with hydrogen.
https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/china-to-spend-billions-on-hydrogen-vehicles-despite-a-minimal-supply-of-clean-h2/2-1-1030196

Offline Carana

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 02:08:52 PM »
I think general world inflation combined with woke economic policies rolled out across the west is going to f..k us all anyway.

As if the internal combustion engine can be completely replaced by around 2040.

Battery powered HGV's?  Don't think so.

There's about 3 electric car charging points in my town, car owning population around 200,000.

So they only need to install another 199,997 points between now & 2040.

Should be doable.

In your (world) view are the advantages of Brexit so far?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 02:24:27 PM »
I'd agree that there are major issues with electric vehicles. China seems to be forging ahead with hydrogen.
https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/china-to-spend-billions-on-hydrogen-vehicles-despite-a-minimal-supply-of-clean-h2/2-1-1030196

Whilst building more coal fire power stations.

I have a Prius (Hybrid, self charging)

I thought about getting a second hand Tesla recently, although even an older one could still cost me £20,000+

There's no point though, as I live on a street with no driveway.

I'd literally have to park at a charging point on the other side of town for up to 6 or 8 hours to get a full 'tank'.

I've read about Hydrogen cars, at the moment they are inefficient, the electric gives more miles per energy consumption.

Not only that, they need clean water per kilometre, at a time when were asked to reduce water consumption.

I read a fully laden HGV would consume around 50 litres of water per kilometre.

Offline Carana

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 08:58:15 PM »
Whilst building more coal fire power stations.

I have a Prius (Hybrid, self charging)

I thought about getting a second hand Tesla recently, although even an older one could still cost me £20,000+

There's no point though, as I live on a street with no driveway.

I'd literally have to park at a charging point on the other side of town for up to 6 or 8 hours to get a full 'tank'.

I've read about Hydrogen cars, at the moment they are inefficient, the electric gives more miles per energy consumption.

Not only that, they need clean water per kilometre, at a time when were asked to reduce water consumption.

I read a fully laden HGV would consume around 50 litres of water per kilometre.

Not sure how I'd cope with an electric car, either, at the moment.  You can hardly hail down a passing vehicle to take you to a station to pick up a jerrycan of electricity when the battery dies on you.

That said, I'm not quite sure what this has to do with the advantages of Brexit so far. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 09:26:58 PM by Carana »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 09:18:43 AM »
Another key benefit of Brexit appears to be reducing immigration from the EU and replacing it with immigration from Asia.  I’m sure this news will delight Brexiteers everywhere.

UK plans visa deal to tempt India into trade talks
Relaxed immigration rules could allow thousands to move from subcontinent

December 31 2021, 2.40pm
She is backed by Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, who has put securing closer ties with India at the top of the government’s agenda to counter the influence of China. The move sets up a cabinet clash with Priti Patel, the home secretary, who is said to oppose the offer.

One option being looked at is a scheme similar to the one agreed with Australia, which would allow young Indians the chance to come and work in the UK for up to three years. Another option would be to cut visa fees for students and allow them to stay in Britain for a period after they graduate.

There could also be reductions in visa fees for both work and tourism. At present it can cost an Indian citizen up to £1,400 for a work visa, while students pay £348 and tourists £95. For British tourists travelling to India the fee is £110, while a one-year business visa costs £165.

With a GDP of about £2 trillion, India is predicted to become the world’s third largest economy by 2050 but it has always been protectionist, with significant tariffs on imports.

Ministers believe a trade deal with Delhi could be transformational and give British businesses a head start in one of the most lucrative markets in the bv world. India does not have a bilateral trade deal with either the US or the EU.

• No food, no water, no hope at iPhone factory in India

A senior government source said there was an acceptance by ministers that the price of such a deal would be to make a “generous” offer on visas.

On Friday Boris Johnson promised to go “further and faster” on using post-Brexit freedoms to forge new trade agreements and ditch EU regulation. The prime minister said he would “deliver on the promise of Brexit” by boosting global trade and conducting a systematic review of all European law still on the statute books.

India has held out the prospect of agreeing a limited round of tariff cuts on products such as whisky, which attract duties of 150 per cent. However, the UK is said to want to concentrate on a more ambitious deal, including greater access to UK service industries.

One government figure said: “The tech and digital space in India is still hugely protectionist and if we could open up even a slither of access it would put us ahead of the game.”

A Department for International Trade spokesman said: “A free-trade agreement [with India] will open up huge opportunities for UK businesses.”
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Common sense

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »
Ah Brexit. The brilliant idea that nobody can justify or explain!

Offline Carana

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 09:53:03 PM »
Ah Brexit. The brilliant idea that nobody can justify or explain!

Nor even define, beyond "leaving the EU".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:55:32 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »
Peter Foster
@pmdfoster
NEW: Brace for 100-page “benefits of #brexit” paper on Jan 31, which is B-Day 2nd anniversary. It’s been a struggle finding ideas by all accounts. My @ft
 latest with @GeorgeWParker

https://on.ft.com/3o6Sfub

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1487481792399556608

Offline Carana

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
According to Dover MP, Natalie Elphicke, "Well here in Dover and Deal, we've been already benefitting from the so-called Brexit dividend; we've had a £100mn investment in our border facilities here and it's going to bring with it 650 extra jobs".

https://twitter.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1494216784647499785

Am I the only one scratching my head?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »
According to Dover MP, Natalie Elphicke, "Well here in Dover and Deal, we've been already benefitting from the so-called Brexit dividend; we've had a £100mn investment in our border facilities here and it's going to bring with it 650 extra jobs".

https://twitter.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1494216784647499785

Am I the only one scratching my head?

She lives in cloud cuckoo land.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 10:08:03 AM »
She lives in cloud cuckoo land.

I always held hope that we'd eventually agree on something.

Offline Carana

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2022, 05:52:14 PM »

Brexit: Ministers tasked with looking for economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units
“The fact the government is undertaking a study into this shows just how out of touch they are," Sarah Olney said.
 by Henry Goodwin
2022-02-23 12:30

The government plans to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units of measurement, in an effort to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.

Ministers sparked mockery for the “ludicrous” move, which will reportedly be overseen by the business department this year.

Boris Johnson suggested in 2019 that measuring in pounds and ounces was an “ancient liberty”, as he pledged to welcome a new “era of generosity and tolerance towards traditional measurements”, the Independent reported.
‘Minister for Brexit opportunities’

The prime minister this month appointed Jacob Rees-Mogg as “minister for Brexit opportunities”, to look at how Britain might benefit from its divorce from the European Union.

Imperial-only labelling stopped being used by businesses in the early 1970s when Britain joined the European common market, but some remain attached to it regardless.

Instead of 1,000 grams representing one kilogram as under the metric system, the Imperial system says there are 14 pounds in a stone, 16 pounds in an ounce, then 256 drachms to the pound. *

And for liquid, there are 20 fluid ounces in a pint and 160 in a gallon – instead of metric’s 1,000 millilitres in a litre.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/brexit-ministers-tasked-with-looking-for-economic-benefits-of-reintroducing-imperial-units-313176/

*Not sure if this is tongue-in-cheek or not (obviously incorrect).